Sending an email to yourself on inauguration day is commonplace, right?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, Feb 12, 2018.

1. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

...especially if you're the national security adviser.:rolleyes: By the book my arse!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...il-on-russia-probe-from-inauguration-day.html

Ex-national security adviser Susan Rice sent an “unusual email” to herself the day President Trump was sworn into office documenting former President Barack Obama's guidance at a high-level meeting about how law enforcement should investigate Russian interference in the 2016 presidential race, two Republican senators said Monday.

According to Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley and Sen. Lindsey Graham, the partially unclassified email was sent by Rice on Jan. 20, 2017 -- and appears to document a Jan. 5 meeting that included Obama, then-FBI Director James Comey, then-Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates, then-Vice President Joe Biden and Rice.

In the email, Obama's national security adviser wrote: “President Obama began the conversation by stressing his continued commitment to ensuring that every aspect of this issue is handled by the Intelligence and law enforcement communities ‘by the book.’ The president stressed that he is not asking about, initiating or instructing anything from a law enforcement perspective. He reiterated that our law enforcement team needs to proceed as it normally would by the book.”

Grassley, R-Iowa, and Graham, R-S.C., released the email Monday. They said they uncovered it as part of their oversight of the FBI and the Department of Justice, and claimed it raises new questions.

It strikes us as odd that, among your activities in the final moments on the final day of the Obama administration, you would feel the need to send yourself such an unusual email purporting to document a conversation involving President Obama and his interactions with the FBI regarding the Trump/Russia investigation,” they wrote in a letter to Rice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"According to the released email, the Jan. 5 meeting followed a briefing by the intelligence community on Russian hacking during the 2016 election. Grassley and Graham said the meeting included a discussion of the now-infamous dossier."

Oh, would you look at that. Obama and his crew talking about the F-GPS dossier.

2. 0007776 Suspended

So now it is bad that they were wanting to follow the rules exactly for the investigation?

3. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

If they where, why would she feel the need to email HERSELF then?

4. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

She obviously did it to memorialize the conversation, like a memo to file. What’s the big deal? I fail to see anything even slightly nefarious about this.

5. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Something stinks to high heaven.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    The received email is a public record. No need to send it to herself.

6. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Gripping stuff, you had me all the way up to FoxNews.com

7. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Exactly. That’s why she sent it (there was no “received email” other than the one she sent to herself). And, given that it was her last day in the White House, I’m sure she thought that an email would be a better way to preserve the note than a written document.

8. 0007776 Suspended

She didn’t forward an email that was sent to her to herself, she wrote an email and sent it to yourself. It’s a much better way of keeping it than to just save it in your drafts and never send it.

9. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profil...about-meetings-with-obama-on-russian-hacking/

"On January 5, following a briefing by IC leadership on Russian hacking during the 2016 presidential election, President Obama had a brief follow-on conversation with FBI Director Jim Comey and Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates in the Oval Office. Vice President Biden and I were also present.

If Rice’s email is accurate, Comey may have seriously misled Congress about his meetings with Obama.

Dated June 8, 2017, Comey’s “Statement for the Record” provided to the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, notes, “I have tried to include information that may be relevant to the committee.”

Comey clearly did not find the January 5, 2017 meeting to be particularly relevant.

In other words, on January 5, 2017, an Oval Office meeting occurred between then-FBI director Comey, the soon-to-be-former president of the United States (Obama), his soon-to-be-former Vice-President (Biden), then-National Security Advisor Susan Rice and soon-to-be Acting Attorney General Sally Yates–and Comey apparently viewed this meeting as irrelevant to congressional investigators.

Comey’s failure to disclose this meeting to the Senate committee is likely to be viewed as an intentional and material omission of a highly relevant fact related to the Russiagate investigation.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

I email myself things all the time. There's no story here unless you want to illustrate how Obama, et all wanted to have things conducted by the book.

The shame!!!

11. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Are your emailsa public record? Yes or no?

12. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I find it funny that in recent weeks we keep seeing “new” news that is simply rehashing what was open in 2016.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

If her emails are public record - there was no hiding of anything, right? So what's the issue you have?

14. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

If it was so important for her to email that to herself, then why did Comey fail to disclose the meeting when testifying to the Senate committee? If it wasn't important enough for him to cite the meeting, why would Rice even bother emailing herself?

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Go through her emails, if she normally emailed herself I don't see an issue besides the fact that Obama had to be explicit about telling professionals to do their job.

"Okay guys I know we gave Hillary a pass, but let's do this one by the books"

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The fastest way to make something public record in the government is email, I have a feeling she did it a CYA thing.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Why are you linking those two things. What is wrong with someone emailing themselves when their emails are of public record?

Are you questioning her emailing herself like the thread subject states, or are you concerned about Comey and what he did or didn't disclose? Was he asked about the meeting? Did he lie about the meeting?

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

By putting this in the public record she's weaving in that Obama was above board, even though him having to say this makes me wonder wtf they were normally doing.

19. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

What is T_D?

20. samcraig, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

samcraig macrumors P6

You didn't answer my question(s). It's cool. We know the agenda.

ETA: Sorry - it wasn't you not answering my question. It was DSP

21. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

People typically take that as a sign they need to wash.

22. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

It's a community on Reddit for extremists from the alt-right. The OP has posted direct links from there before. It's widely seen as a hate group and a violent, white-supremacist community. They've organized numerous doxings, attacks, and even a few murders.

23. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Ah, I see.

I have noticed certain posters (not the OP) suddenly intensely interested in a story that’s been well known for quite a while...after a twisted version of it pops up in the Fox world, that’s always good for a chuckle.

24. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because it appears Comey was misleading.

http://time.com/4810345/james-comey-testimony-real-time-transcript/

"James Comey:
    That’s right, senator. And I — as I said in my written testimony. As FBI director I interacted with President Obama and spoke only twice in three years and didn’t document it. When I was deputy attorney general I had one one-on-one meeting with president bush about a national security matter. I didn’t document that conversation either. I didn’t feel with President Bush the need to document it in that way. Because of the combination of those factors, just wasn’t present with either President Bush or President Obama."

25. samcraig macrumors P6

What's your point? Sincerely. And again - you're not answering my question(s).