All iPads Sending an iPad to Nigeria, Anything I Should Be Aware of When Shipping The Item?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HappyDude20, Jun 9, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Hi guys, so I decided to sell my iPad on criagslist and immediately got an answer from an interested buyer.

The buyer tells me he is in the navy and he is purchasing the iPad for his son, who is also in the navy... He tells me both are stationed in different places but he is willing to pay.

In fact, he just sent a payment for $550 to my PayPal account. It lists Nigeria as the place to ship and simply wanted to ask here if I should be aware of any discrepancies I wouldn't want to run into when shipping the iPad? Such as declaring it as Goods rather than Electronics or something along those lines. Just figuring I ask.

2. SmittS macrumors regular

Besides for the whole deal being a scam, no concern at all.

3. zanzi macrumors newbie

4. ani23 macrumors 6502

You are an old member so probably not trolling.

Good thing you asked the question.

Refund the money asap and keep your ipad. sell locally.

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Then again, I've never really sold on CraigsList so I have to ask, how is this a scam?

The seller paid me on PayPal.

I'm not questioning anyone in the thread here. In fact, I'm more keen to your advice than the buyers, but am genuinely curious.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I gotta wonder if anyone who is legitimately from Nigeria and actually tries to buy/sell something online is ever able to these days. They just lost the last person on earth who believed they were on the up and up.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

In a few days, PayPal is going to take the money back from you as it is most likely a hacked account. When selling on Craigslist, you should always meet in a public place and accept cash only.

"In God we trust, all others pay cash."

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The number and variation of Nigerian scams is too numerous to list
    Do some googling for Nigerian scams to get up to speed

9. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Actually, it seems I figured it out.

The PayPal email I received says the payment is on temporary hold and the funds won't be seen on my account till after I send the item in the mail. In fact, it states as a preventive measure, the funds won't be seen on my account till I emailthe buyer a tracking number or scan the tracking info and email it to them.

This is interesting, no doubt I'm glad I asked on the forums. Then again, I probably wouldn't of gone as far as to send away my iPad without seeing actual money on my PayPal account.

10. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

It's most likely a hacked paypal account. You will ship the item and lose the money. You most likely will not be protected.

Safest bet is eBay.

Edit: paypal isn't available in Nigeria. Just an FYI.

11. mactactic macrumors regular

mactactic

Stolen Credit Card

Don't fall for this SCAM ! I live in So Cal also and I get all kind of offers to pay me over my asking price on craigslist. I bet the the card is stolen which paypal will find out eventually than they will ask you for the money back.
    SCAM SCAM SCAM !! :eek:

12. SmittS macrumors regular

Lol whatever you say buddy.

13. henchman macrumors 6502a

DO NOT SHIP TO NIGERIA!!!!!!!

Sell it local only.
    Or Ebay.

14. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

The buyer just back to me telling me to send the iPad first, email him the tracking number and then PayPal will release the funds. :eek:

Looks like back to the drawing board I go.

15. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

LOL its amazing how many people are still unaware of scams like this these days.

16. Consultant, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Did you click the link from an email? If you did it might be a phishing email that goes to a fake site that steal your login info.

Never click on links from emails.

17. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I'm glad the forum was able to help you avoid this huge problem.

18. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

It's fairly safe to say that any electronic-based transaction having anything to do with Nigeria is a scam.

19. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I made sure to manually log into PayPal via my web browser and not their email. In fact, their email contained no links, except for USPS.

20. dacapo macrumors 6502

Do not do it. You've been warned. (By others as well.)

In an attempt to minimize losses, you will lose everything. Just sell it on eBay or sell on Craigslist locally, but do NOT ship to Nigeria, for goodness' sake!

21. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Oh I won't.

...i'm creating the eBay auction now. ;)

22. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Beside Nigeria is for sure scam (did he wrote he was a prince and need the iPad to dig for oil ?)
    Anyway: you might also had to get approval for exporting hardware/software to a different country where restriction might apply (keywords: export regulation). Specially the strength of encryption is in many an issue.

Sell local is for sure safer.

23. dacapo macrumors 6502

Good thing.. Just as an aside, you will want to have your auction get listed in the evening hours, typically between Friday-Sunday, to get the best results. (Not science, but this much I've picked up so far.) In fact, I recall a sad scalping situation where an iPad2 scalper apparently listed an iPad2 in the early hours of the morning and ended up selling it for less than list price.:rolleyes:

24. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Either the seller will request a refund from PayPal because they never received the item (no way you can track shipping as delivered in NIGERIA), or they are using a hacked paypal account.

DO NOT SELL TO THIS PERSON!

Edit: EVEN IF you get the funds released into your account, PAYPAL CAN TAKE THEM BACK. PayPal *always* can screw over the SELLER. Even if you ship the iPad and do everything kosher, the buyer can claim they never received it and you'll have the money taken either out of your bank or paypal account. Don't for a second think the money is safe. If you have a negative PayPal balance, they can turn it over to collections, etc.

Be very wary with PayPal as a seller. I've been screwed over and lost hundreds of dollars.

(Sorry for the CAPITALIZATIONS I get so pissed about PayPal!)