Sending into Applecare for repair

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Samtb, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

When you send into Applecare for repair, do they exchange your Ipad for a replacement at the door or do they send you one after they've received yours and checked it? The Applecare advisor said they do an exchange at the door but the email I got says differently.

2. luigismartphone macrumors member

For my experience they send you an empty box first, then you put your iDevice in the box and when you are ready, you call the shipper (usually UPS, but you have instructions in the box) who comes to pick the box.

It takes 1 day to arrive at Apple, 1 day to check and in the 3rd day you will receive the new (refurbished) iDevice. :cool:

3. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

Are they always refurbished? I always thought they can be new or remanufactured. Is there a way to tell from the serial number or model number? And do the refurbished models last as long as the new ones?

4. luigismartphone macrumors member

The refurbished ones are like the new ones.

You can't check with the serial number, but you can check (I did in this way) connecting it to TinyUmbrella and see if it has some SHSH blobs saved. If it has, it's refurbished. If not, it seems to be new;).

5. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't mind if its refurb as long as it looks new (no scratches/cosmetic imperfections) and lasts as long as a new one.

6. SweetDove macrumors regular

I sent in my ipad 3 (due to a tiny little light leak)

I got a box in the mail, with packaging and a label
    I packed up JUST the ipad, no cords or anything.
    I took it to (fedex or ups) the shipping store. I gave it to them, took a picture of it in the box (just incase) and went home.

Three days later I had a BRAND NEW one.

This was when they first came out though so maybe there wern't any refurbished ones to send?

I've never been in an apple store, so I'm not sure how that works.

7. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

I asked this question before, never really got a clear cut answer. It would be more convienent if they sent the replacement phone first, putting a hold on your bank account in the amount of a full price phone, then removed the hold when they receive the broken phone back. I don't have any phones to use for the 3 or 4 days it takes to get a replacement, so I haven't sent it back. But I guess they aren't going for convienence..

8. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

The terms and conditions say that Apple will try to repair the issue or provide a replacement but what kind of issues do Apple repair without providing a replacement?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can do it that way but you have to give them a credit card.
    Then if you dont send back the faulty iphone once you receive the replacement they just charge the account you gave them.

10. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I got my replacement iphone the next day. I used the box they sent to send my faulty iphone back.

They put a hold on one of your cards that goes away when they receive the faulty item.

It was a great return experience personally...

11. Samtb, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

But then how do they know if there really is an issue with the one you sent in? Some people could just use this system to get an ipad in a better cosmetic condition, even if there's nothing wrong with it.

12. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I had to troubleshoot over the phone. They made me restore and the issue persisted, that's when they told me they were over nighting my phone.

I had a faulty ear piece that kept going in and out. I was worried because it started working a few hours before I got my replacement, but then it finally quit working.

13. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

Is this the same process with a smashed up phone on AppleCare+?

I know there is no troubleshooting to be done, but do you call them and wait for the refurb, or can you do it at the Apple Store?

14. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

You can do either. Just schedule a Genius Bar appointment if you prefer to do it at Apple. $49 + tax for a remanufactured device out the door.

15. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

Are there any advantages to sending in for repair over taking it to a retail store ?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No. Same thing.
    Some don't have Apple stores around so they have to do it by mail.

17. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you think it's possible that for some issues, there might be more leniency in store on deciding whether to issue a replacement?

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe. But it also depends on the particular rep. Some are strict on issuing replacements and others swap them easy without many questions. Gotta be lucky I guess.

19. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

Same with sending it in then I guess.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep.
    Pretty much:)

21. troy14 macrumors 6502a

It honestly goes both ways. I remember when I had the first iPhone it was jailbroken/unlocked and I used T-Mobile (back when ONLY at&t was available). It came up with a hardware defect and I took it to the store (without a sim because I didnt have att or know anyone with att). The manager would replace the phone but only if it was shown to be activated with AT&T (not sure why). They said they would have no problem giving me a new one but having no friends with at&t I went home with no phone.

I then called Applecare and sent in the phone with the same issue / no sim. They sent me a new one in the mail and I had to show no proof about being an AT&T subscriber. I also have seen many people in the store get free replacements/swaps by the manager where it was not supposed to be covered (i.e out of warranty, broken screen, etc.). I doubt if you sent it in to Apple they would have done the same.

Personally if you have an Apple store nearby, I would go that route. They will immediately replace your unit (if it is a valid warranty claim) and you will walk out of the store with a flawless working unit. I am fortunate to live within 10-20 minutes of two Apple stores but I do understand not everyone has that luxury.

Also on the note of refurbished... Apple refurbished really needs to rename their products to "you will not be able to tell the difference between a new one" because they are literally perfect. I have exchanged tons, and bought tons of Apple refurbished products. They all look brand new and no signs of use at all.

Looking at tinyumbrella and for SHSH blobs MAY be a good indicator, but I would say the majority of people do not jailbreak their devices / save their SHSH blobs so just because it has no blobs saved doesn't mean that it might not be a "refurbished" (again I use that term loosely)