Sending iPad 2 in for repair when it is a non-repairable issue?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gdjsnyder, Oct 19, 2011.

1. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Quick question, I don't know if Apple is replacing my iPad for free as the "one time" replacement or what's going on, hoping someone can answer this.

I cracked the bottom left corner of my iPad, the aluminum in between the glass and the aluminum. It's a very small crack and I was going to deal with it, but after a few days I noticed a little scratch on my palm, and found it was caused by the crack when holding the iPad in portrait. So I figured I'd call Apple and see how much an OOW replacement would be. I spoke with an advisor, he gave me the pricing and he also said I could send the iPad in for repair. I asked how they would repair the aluminum and he said they can't repair it, but he advised me to send it in.

I am more than willing to pay the OOW fee, and am actually free to go down to the Apple Store this Saturday. I would be very grateful if they replaced this as a one time deal, but don't expect it. Anyway, does anyone know why the advisor would set up a repair when he said it's a non-repairable issue, and if they can't repair it they will send it back to me and then I can call for an OOW replacement.

Thanks to any comments on this.

2. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

My guess is the customer service rep. was reading from a script and just giving you what he is told to say for general equipment repair.

If you are close to an Apple store you would be better off making an appointment with a genius and taking your iPad in to the store. You just might walk out with a replacement at no charge.

3. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

iPads, iPods (touch or otherwise), AppleTVs, and iPhones are never actually "repaired" when there's a hardware problem, whether it's covered under warranty or not. They typically just replace the whole unit with another (more likely than not, refurbished) unit, much unlike Mac repair.

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

yeah. they give you someone else refurbished unit

5. doboy macrumors 68000

Suggestion: if you don't want to pay for the replacement you can use it as is but hold it upside down so home button is on top. Most iPad apps should work upside down. This way the crack won't scratch you.

6. gdjsnyder thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I hate holding it that way, and I don't mind paying the $419 for the placement. I just don't know why they wouldn't give me the option before sending it in for a "repair" when the advisor said it's not a repairable issue.

7. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

You don't mind paying $419 for a crack? We need to trade careers.

8. gdjsnyder thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Please, anytime. My career actually doesn't pay a lot, I just got an amazing offer. The crack is unfortunately actually cutting my hand with more than 5 minutes of usage. I have a medical condition in which I need to avoid bleeding at all costs, so it is a safety issue for me.

9. doboy macrumors 68000

Hemophilia? Don't worry about "repair" because they'll just replace it. I'm sure they are using "repair" as a general term.

10. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

They will receive it and see it's accidental damage and either phone you and ask if you want to go ahead with the repair at the cost stated or they will just send it back to you.

You're best off just taking it to the Apple store it will be a quicker turnaround.