iPad Sending iPad to parents out of country, questions.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by quamsi, Feb 1, 2014.

1. quamsi macrumors regular

Hi All, I am purchasing an iPad 3 for my parents who are missionaries living in Mexico. They've never had an iPad before and I am trying to make things as seamless as possible. I was going to have the iPad customized and loaded with apps they might like. Is it possible for me to use my apple id to download apps or will they have problem with those apps later?
    Thanks!

2. ninety5eclipz macrumors member

If your account is linked to the US version of iTunes then they will be able to access the US version of iTunes only. They will be able to download apps and such from the US iTunes Store only. They will have to have your password as they will be randomly asked for it when/if they download more apps.

----------

But no. There should not be a problem pre loading apps and having your account linked.

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

And it will also mean your credit card is tied to any purchases they may make. With parents who are new to the iPad, they could do things accidentally.

4. ninety5eclipz macrumors member

Sending iPad to parents out of country, questions.

Easiest way would be to create them an iTunes account and go buy a prepaid iTunes card. You can use that to activate their new iTunes account so they can buy apps. No need for a credit card.

5. quamsi thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thanks for the responses thus far. So would this work?:

I use my own itunes account to download certain apps I have purchased and think they'd enjoy. These would stay on their ipad but be unable to be updated (correct?) unless I give them my info. Then they would register their own apple id and use that for everything after that? They will be here in the States to visit and that's when I will be gifting this iPad for them. I'm sure they'd prefer US Itunes. Should they register an id here then?

6. ninety5eclipz, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014

ninety5eclipz macrumors member

I would go buy them a gift card and set up an iTunes account for them with that card. Put all the apps you want on there for them now. If you use your account now then switch to their account with the prepaid card when they leave they will be able to access the apps from your account but will not be able to update them without logging out of their account and into yours. Save yourself the hassle and just start them fresh with an iTunes account and gift card.

----------

If in the future while in Mexico if they run out of money on their gift card you will have to purchase one in the states for them. Mexicos iTunes cards will mot work on the US itunes store. If you keep their account info if you create them an account you can just buy the card and add the money for them so you don't have to worry about mailing anything. You would just have to work out them reimbursing you for the cards. But my guess is that if you start off with a $50 card you should be good for a long time if you don't anticipate them purchasing apps and just sticking with the free stuff

7. gatearray macrumors 65816

Well, it doesn't really work like that. They wouldn't be able to buy any content without the OP's iTunes password, yet they'd be able to update the iPad's apps as well as "re-download" any purchased items on said iTunes account without needing a password. One could even enable auto-updating of apps to make it even easier for them.

Still, a free iCloud account and associated Apple ID would be the best bet, as they'll get back-ups, etc. OP, couldn't your parents share their own CC# and info with you ahead of time to create their account for them before sending it?

8. quamsi thread starter macrumors regular

Can't they just load their US credit card number onto Itunes and access it without a gift card?

9. ninety5eclipz macrumors member

Yes they can

----------

I assumed they would not be using their CC info in the first place since you were going to use your account to set it up. Some people don't want to mess with Credit cards online so the iTunes card is a nice alternative. Either way I would not start off with your account and then switch. Keep everything on one account.

10. quamsi thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not worried about them not being able to update the apps I put on there for them. We see them several times a year and I can manually update them then. If there's an urgent update I can give them my log in details.

So my confusion is whether or not you can log into two itunes accounts on one device? Overall they'd log into their ipad (purchase apps, etc) with their own apple id. But before giving them their ipad (as a surprise gift, so can't ask for cc info ahead of time), I'd use my apple id to download a few of my favorite already-paid-for apps. Then when I see them every couple months I'd update those apps for them.

Would that work?

11. ninety5eclipz macrumors member

Yes you can. Log out of one account and on to another is no problem. But you can't be logged into 2 accounts at the same time.

12. quamsi thread starter macrumors regular

Okay. The initial set-up will be with my apple id then. From that point on they'll use their own apple id.

13. ninety5eclipz macrumors member

But I'm still going to stick to my guns and say create their account on an iTunes card. Even a $5 or $15 one. They can alway add their CC to it later. Make it much easier with backing up an reinstalling apps should they ever have to reformat their ipad

14. quamsi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

15. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I agree to KISS . I have gone through the same thing with passing iPads down to my wife and leaving some apps from my account on there. She is tech savvy but it is still a hassle to have multiple accounts on one pad.

16. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

The first time this headline popped up on Forum Spy, I read it as..."Sending my parents out of the country" , and I couldn't help thinking what a nasty thing to do that was!:p

I'll go lie down now...:eek: