Sending iPhone in for repair when their may not be a fault?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CBGFilms, Feb 8, 2011.

1. CBGFilms macrumors regular

Hey guys, got my Apple iPhone repair package today which will allow me to send it to Apple in the box provided and get it repaired for free under my limited warranty.

I think the phone has an antenna issue because in some places I get no signal or little, and others with other phones have got full signal.

Will Apple charge me a fee if it turns out nothing is wrong with it, for example it could just be my network/carrier?

I'M IN THE UK BTW.

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

UK NOTED!

You should consult the T&Cs for the best answer. However, it is normal practice with most companies to charge if there is no problem.

Think about it, the reason you send something in for repair is because the company is in breach of contract (you form a contract when you buy anything from an Apple laptop to a bag of apples). If there is no fault, then there is no breach of contract, so why should they pay? However, they cannot overcharge you. The amount they charge for postage etc must approximate the actual cost.

Having said that, given antenna-gate you may be able to get them to waive it if you speak nicely, as an act of good faith?

Have you tried phoning them, see what they say? If you take it to an Apple store they may have a quick glance for you, they can be very helpful when they aren't too busy.

3. CBGFilms thread starter macrumors regular

Update

Just a quick update.

I phoned Apple shortly after you replied and they said that if it wasn't faulty/broken then they'd send it back without a charge. So I sent it off.

Today I checked the repair status, and to my surprise I have a product replacement pending! I LOVE :apple:
    [​IMG]

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Glad to hear it. I see the white iPhone is still on that page!

As you can see it is always worth asking about things like delivery/P&P as many companies try and be nice- they want repeat business!