Sending iPhone to Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ryan Burgess, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Ryan Burgess macrumors 6502

Hi, I'm having some problems with my iPhone 5 and I scheduled to send it back to apple for a replacement online.

Does anyone know how long this process will take? I don't want to send it in if I'm going to be without my phone for a while. If you've sent your phone in for repair please tell me how long the entire process took. Thanks!

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Call them up. You should be getting a replacement before you send your old one in. You won't be without a phone.

3. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Don't you have an Apple store near your area? I'm in same process and schedule an appt for Saturday at 11:20Am.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365604094.084788.jpg

4. Ryan Burgess thread starter macrumors 6502

I have an apple store near me, (I guess I'm lucky) but I've tried the Genius Bar and the genius I got wasn't very helpful. I'm wondering should I just go back to the Genius Bar and hope I get someone else?

5. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hijack this thread but is there a way to get the express replacement (have them send the phone first+ put a hold on my bank account) through their online form? I assume selecting the option to use an applecare+ claim would have them send the replacement phone first?

6. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

Heck yes, go back to the GB. I have never been given any trouble and they always bring me a new replacement within minutes.

7. chestvrg macrumors 65816

I would ask to speak with geniuvisor.

8. Ryan Burgess thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? I went in there yesterday, and told the genius my problem. My phone will (on a random basis) show nothing on the screen. Let me elaborate, the phone is locked, and I push the home/lock button to wake it up, but the screen remains dark. The phone however operates like normal, I can type, hear the keyboard clicks etc. I just can't see the screen. The only solution thus far, has been to do a hard reset of the phone.

I took it to the Genius Bar, and he said he'd never heard of that problem. And he continued saying "Because I can't replicate the issue, there's nothing more I can tell you" he made a note that I've had this issue so if I come in again they will see It.

Is this normal? Does the genius have to "replicate" the issue in order to fix it/get a replacement? That seems kinda weird to me, as my issue, and I'm sure many other issues occur on a random basis!

So should I go back if the problem persists?

9. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Same here I have never had any trouble at GB.

10. Ryan Burgess thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting…but does the genius need to be able to replicate the problem in order to get me a replacement? Or did I just get a stubborn genius…?

11. chestvrg macrumors 65816

I don't think they have to replicate. One time I had a similar issue after my notorious home button went unresponsive...the replacement they gave me was doing some unusual screen flickering (same problem I'm going this Saturday for), but this was about a year ago...well that day I had to take 3 different trips to the Apple store b/c every time I would approach the Apple store the flickering would stop (can u imagine), so on my third time I asked the genius I didn't want to have to come back, drive back, spend gas and time...the thing is that they gave me another replacement that same day (two replacement in one day).

So my assumption is that the genius didnt want to help you or didn't do enough to help you. They have the authority to issue a replacement.

12. Ryan Burgess thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot for your reply, if the problem persists I will go back and hopefully get a better result.

Has anyone else heard of this problem that I'm having?

13. bcooln macrumors regular

i have trouble with the genius bar also, i went there like 2 times, then finally gave up, just call apple and put down 700$ on hold, get a replacement phone in next day or 2, and put my old phone back and call fedex to pick it up. i don't even bother to bring to the Genius Bar anymore, save me some gas lol

14. Ryan Burgess thread starter macrumors 6502

[

Haha sorry about that…I'll give the GB another try before I resort to sending it in. I'd rather avoid the shipping and whatnot.

15. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Definitely go to the GB again, never send it through the mail. So many things can go wrong when shipping the phone.

In miami there are about 3 or 4 Apple stores that i know of. I dont know if its the same where you live but if you do have multiple stores around your location you can always try to go to another apple store that has a friendlier staff.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If they can't replicate the problem, they aren't required to replace the phone. For what it's worth, sending the phone out could potentially bet you the same result. How often is the problem occurring? My recommendation would be to take it in the next time it happens. Or, if it happens fairly regularly, fiddle with the phone in front of the apple store until you replicate the issue and then walk right in. If you explain why you don't have an appointment I would expect them to be helpful. It might also help if you can take video of the issue if it happens again at home.

You have to understand, people try and replace phones for all kinds of stupid reasons. Some OCD kid gets a small scuff on the phone and they fabricate software issues so that they can get a replacement. If the issue isn't very widespread, which it doesn't sound like t is, your chances of getting a replacement are at the mercy of what said genius feels like doing for you.

17. Ryan Burgess thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot, I agree with your post in almost every aspect. I was thinking the same thing about recording a a video or walking into the apple store as soon as it happens, that's my plan for right now.

Thanks guys!

----------

Ya I agree totally, I was reading a post earlier today about someone's iPhone that was apparently stolen from the mail, or at least never made it to apple. I think I'll pass on sending it in.