Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slothdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Currently in my household, we have multiple Macs and iPods and iPads, but all iTunes and App Store purchases are made through a single iTunes account to keep things centralized. The problem is, I'll be sending one of my kids off to college in the fall with her own iPod and MacBook Air. So now I'm facing the question of whether to keep her on my iTunes account (which would basically mean giving her my password to she can update and buy new apps), or signing her up for her own iTunes account (and thus need to re-buy whatever apps/music she needs). Any suggestions, or is there a third (legal and kosher) option I'm missing?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Currently in my household, we have multiple Macs and iPods and iPads, but all iTunes and App Store purchases are made through a single iTunes account to keep things centralized. The problem is, I'll be sending one of my kids off to college in the fall with her own iPod and MacBook Air. So now I'm facing the question of whether to keep her on my iTunes account (which would basically mean giving her my password to she can update and buy new apps), or signing her up for her own iTunes account (and thus need to re-buy whatever apps/music she needs). Any suggestions, or is there a third (legal and kosher) option I'm missing?

Get her her own iTunes account for new purchases, and let her authorize her computer to play your purchases. They're not all going into the same library anymore, no need to have them all on one account.

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind
Get her her own iTunes account for new purchases, and let her authorize her computer to play your purchases. They're not all going into the same library anymore, no need to have them all on one account.

^This. That way she can still access her old music, but can get new things for herself without you having to share the user login. And if you should need the authorization for another of your home computers, you can deauthorize it easily.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Wouldn't just letting her have her own library and account be more logical? I don't see why you would need to be overseer of all actions made on iTunes... for organization that makes sense but it's just content; there's no reason why each computer shouldn't have it's own library, profile, and account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.