Sending Mac OSX Audio out to multiple speakers...

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by gpspad, Oct 29, 2018.

1. gpspad macrumors 6502a

I'd like to stream audio from my mac to multiple home pods and applet TV's around the house. I know I can do this via iTunes, but I'd like to do this with a local iHeart radio stream that I can only get through a website.

I seem to be able to select one home pod via the volume options, but can't seem to select more than one.

I have even tried creating a custom midi driver, but can only select one airplay2 device.

Am I missing something?

Are there any work arounds so I can stream local radio via the web throughout the house?

2. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

3. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

AirFoil has been and is the GOTO for this. I could not live without it!

Lots of well thought out flexibility for audio routing and well worth the price. I have upgraded gladly since V1.

https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

4. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Never used that one, that's far easier than what I suggested.

5. gpspad thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, airfoil will probably do what I need.

Am i correct that OSX limits you to selecting one Airplay2 destination?

Just curious if Im doing something wrong. I would also like to plug a scanner into my mac and pipe it to various rooms, It seems like airfoil may be able to help with that also.

6. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

OS X will do either AirPlay 1 or 2. When you select an Airplay 2 device, the AirPlay 1 devices are disabled. AirFoil currently treats everything as AirPlay 1.

BTW, check through the configuration options. A main use for me i to drive iTunes through USB DAC connected speakers with subwoofer separate from the rest of the audio. For parties I have all the speakers in the house working on it. Airfoil manages the audio delay to make it work.

Downside is that my HomePods set up as a stereo pair look like two AirPlay devices to AirFoil. They are working on that issue.

7. gpspad thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone know what an Apple TV 4 considered, an airplay 1 or airplay 2 device?

When I select the homepod and the try to select the apple tv, the home pod disappears. I had though the atv4 was upgraded to an airplay 2 device?

8. macdragonfl macrumors 6502a

macdragonfl

I've had since v1 to, it's one app that is worth the cost and seems to fix and tweak all things wrong with Airplay. I love you can adjust the latency of the speakers in multiple room setups. I could have never done whole home speakers without it.