sending spoken word recording from garage band to itunes: quality loss

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by craighereatmac, Oct 23, 2010.

1. craighereatmac macrumors newbie

I am doing some spoken word recordings with Garage Band and then exporting them to I-tunes. The recordings sound completely different when I play them from Garage Band and in I-tunes.

The I-tunes version becomes somehow 'harder' with an almost metalic sound, and also there is a significant 'white noise' background sound that is added when I export it to I-tunes.

I tried exporting it with both ACC and Mpg formats but get the same result.

Any suggestions?

2. UpDownAeroplane macrumors member

it all depends on bitrate. try ripping them in loseless format.

3. craighereatmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. Could you tell me what 'bitrate' is, and how i would 'rip them loose'?

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

He meant try exporting them in a lossless format (aiff, apple lossless). Lossless means no quality loss due to compression.

5. craighereatmac thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I tried AIFF and apple lossless import settings in i-tunes. I'm still getting the same problem. It sounds harsher and more tinny in i-tunes than in garage band.

I'm also having problems with volume. No matter how low I set the recording volume in garage band I'm getting the same loud volume once it's imported to i-tunes.

6. dknightd macrumors 6502