Sensationalist journalism at its finest

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Oct 26, 2009.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I didn't put this in Current Events, since some sick perv sending pictures of his schlong to someone over the internet is nothing new. It was the way this article was written that caught my eye:

http://www.ksdk.com/news/national/story.aspx?storyid=188230&catid=28

Xbox allows pedophiles into the home? The kid starts crying? Calling the police to stop a pedophile from "coming through the Xbox?" (heh, you can have some good puns with that)

Of course the article completely ignores the fact that this kid must have done something to start it because I don't think you can send pictures to random people, you have to be friends with them first. I know that myself, nor anyone I know, has ever received such pictures from random people on Xbox Live.

Has society gotten so dumb that the only way we'll read a news article is to exaggerate and sensationalize it with crap like this? It's like Idiocracy coming true. Or is this just a case of poor journalism by one reporter? Thoughts?

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

[​IMG]

However, if they are a recent player on their list, you can send picture messages via the XBOX LIVE webcamera.

But to insinuate that this happens all the time, is very much an overreaction.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

4. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Haha, I saw that too. The kid is going to be scarred for life because he saw a weiner! Maybe it'll turn him ghey! :rolleyes:

If the parents didn't make such a big deal out of it, he'd go back to playing his game and would forget about what he saw. And who knows what games he's playing, he could be playing GTA IV for all we know, these parents don't seem like the brightest bunch. And he'll see far worse in some of those games than a blurry webcam pic of some guy's dick.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I quote:
    Gruesome?

Interesting…

6. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Eek! A Penis!

[​IMG]

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

While I do agree the photos and the actions of the guy are wrong. This highlights a huge problem I see with the media.
    They took the chance to bash the Xbox saying OMG they can not stop this stuff. The message system on Xbox live is the same as email. Are you telling me it is up to the ISP job to filter out that crap.

Currently Xbox live has a way to block all communication from different user so just needs to do that. The next is file a complain since those pictures are against the TOS and result in an instant ban.

I also believe there is also a settings to block communications from any one not on your friends list.

I just find it points out the problem with the media not caring about the entire truth any more but just a chance to make headlines.

8. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I wonder if she said that to her husband when they were making their son

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

They probably blew out the candles and turned down the oil lamps…

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

One of my all-time favorite episodes. :D
    Was that before or after she got whacked with a club and dragged by her hair?

11. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I also like how the mom says she had the "parental settings turned on". Um, obviously not, or not correctly at least. If you set it up properly, your child can't receive game invites, messages, friend requests or anything from anyone. Sounds like a classic case of user error. This isn't rocket science. But then again, she is wearing an ICP shirt...

12. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

HAHAHA I didn't even notice that. If she's exposing her children to ICP I think a blurry pic of a penis will be the least of her child's problems.