Sent for Service- “water damage”?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mtwiggins, May 16, 2019.

1. mtwiggins macrumors member

background: MacBook Pro serviced one time, shortly after purchase. Died randomly with plenty of charge last week, I took it in. The agent ran tests, everything was clear and functional. They shipped it off.

Now being told that there’s “water damage” that’s clearly something that’s not water and very dried on. The pictures show very little, but the one that does show it depicts something that’s essentially splashed onto the components, something that I couldn’t do if I tried. What should I do? The repair cost is $750, and the only problem was to do with power. Everything else was working. So far, Apple said I either need to pay or take it back. What would you do?

Attached Files:

2. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Look into filing a lawsuit.

The question is: how do they prove that they didn't spill water or something else on it when they got it in?

3. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Did you purchase the machine new or used from someone or somewhere else?

4. mtwiggins thread starter macrumors member

I bought it new, July 2016. It needed a new MagSafe port in August ‘16, it was serviced by Apple then. Lived comfortably and easily ever since, no spills.

5. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Using the word "water" was a poor choice.

It looks to me like the internal components were exposed to liquid a long time ago, the liquid dried, and left behind residue.

Based on my personal experience, liquid exposure can take a long time to manifest itself.

6. mtwiggins thread starter macrumors member

Yeah they claim water. Looks like battery acid, or something that was really thick to me. Either way, there’s no chance that I got something that nasty down in the fan vent without damaging the laptop.

7. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

I've seen cases where the liquid seeps in through the rear vent and initially does no harm. It's the residue left behind that slowly corrodes the internal components after the liquid had evaporated.

I have purchased and fixed several MacBook airs that have been exposed to liquids, allowed to dry, and used on a regular basis buy the owmer. One day, sometimes months later, the machine doesn't turn on and the owner sells it for parts. I buy them, thoroughly clean the boards with pure isopropyl alcohol, and they will sometimes work again. Other times, I have to replace the trackpad or keyboard.

8. mtwiggins thread starter macrumors member

This one just doesn’t make sense that way. It’s not like there was liquid on the keyboard that got thru. This is near the hinge, and on the side that would be upside down the the computer is sitting on a table. If it were to have happened by me, it would be on the underside of the metal case. This looks like it happened while the lower case was off.

9. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

I understand what you are saying and all I can do is comment on the pictures I see. I don't see anything to indicate that liquid was or wasn't splashed onto the board by the repair shop.

It's it under Apple warranty? Is it something that would be covered under a credit card warranty?

10. mtwiggins thread starter macrumors member

Yeah all I have is the pics too. They don’t provide much info for the price they demand. It’s under AppleCare still, but they said the liquid voids that and they want $750.

11. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

That's a shame.

Sometimes, the liquid residue causes a short circuit in the logic board and a good cleaning with pure isopropyl alcohol will sometimes correct the short.

If you are handy, this is something you could do yourself. If you have the necessary skills, I recommend taking it to an apple shop that can perform board-level repairs for a proper cleaning and diagnosis. Apple stores and Apple authorized service centres never repair a board or part, they only replace.

12. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

How much AppleCare coverage do you have remaining? You could alternately send it to someplace like Rossman Repair Group and get a free estimate. I am guessing it would be less than the $750 Apple is asking, but it might result in voiding the balance of your Apple Care. Not sure about that.

Bonus is you might get a YouTube video out if it can be demonstrated that it really isn't water damage hahaha.

13. mtwiggins thread starter macrumors member

I considered that. Sounds appropriate for how ridiculous they’re being. The cash outlay for a lawyer sounds less desirable.
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2019 ---
    AppleCare expires in early July, so I have some time but not a ton.

14. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

You can always ask to speak to a supervisor or write Apple Executive Relations and plead your case that the damage is not in your opinion water or your fault based upon where it is. Perhaps you ask them to do a “good will” repair, especially if you have been a loyal customer and they can’t show beyond a reasonable doubt that it is water or your fault vs their own tech.

It would be cheaper and less time consuming than a lawsuit where the only parties to walk away happy are the attorneys.

Baring Apple doing a “good will” repair, having Rossman or similar repair it may cost you half as much as Apple wants. They do free estimates and the photos may help.

15. mtwiggins thread starter macrumors member

I’ve spoken to everyone under the sun at this point. Waiting to hear back from a senior associate at AppleCare customer relations, but I had a bad (rude) call with the manager of the Carnegie library store. Im guessing the call from the AppleCare folks tomorrow will be the end of the line. We’ll see what he offers. I told them I don’t want to sign for the computer back from them because I feel like they damaged it, but they said my options are to sign for it, or leave it abandoned.

16. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

That does not sound legit. You wouldn’t sign for it if they dropped and dented it, why would you sign for it if you feel they damaged it in some other way?

Not sure the best way to go about it, but there has to be some means for telling them explicitly that you in no way plan to abandon it, but that you will not sign while attempting to resolve the issue with Apple

17. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

You think Apple spilled liquid in your laptop and want to charge you to fix it?

Is it possible that anyone else has had access to it? Partner? Kids? Friends? Has it ever been outside of your immediate control?

18. mtwiggins thread starter macrumors member

I think that something may have happened. It was the opening day at the Carnegie Library, and it sat there for a few days before going out. What I do know is that the pattern of water damage in the photos is nearly impossible to do without having the back case off, which I have never attempted.