Sent in my rMBP for a trackpad repair and...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dipm06, Oct 20, 2012.

1. dipm06 macrumors member

This past week, my rMBP was at Apple because my trackpad was not working. To my surprise, basically all of the components of the rMBP were replaced.

Logic board
    Screen - LG to Samsung
    Battery and casing

It seems as if the only thing that wasn't replaced was the hard drive...

2. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

So they probably swapped your hard drive with a new machine? Costs more money to repair those parts in labor. It could be possible

3. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

This could be the case, but I was under the impression Apple has no responsibility for user data so wouldn't they just give him a brand new machine sans the data?

4. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

Maybe it just seemed unreasonable to get a trackpad fixed but with all data gone?

5. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Isn't it more likely they just cloned the original hard drive to a new machine?

6. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Check your serial number. If its different then they most likely gave you a new computer and cloned your drive.

----------

I believe the rMBP has the SSD soldered to the logic board, which means they can't just switch drives between computers.

7. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

The SSD isn't soldered. It uses a proprietary interface though.

9. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Can apple geniuses replace the SSD without removing the logic board?

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yep, I think it's just one screw you have to remove and then the SSD slots right out:

[​IMG]

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I had a problem with a MacBook Air.

They replaced everything including the battery and SSD. Why they didn't just replace the computer, confused just about everyone including the store manager who helped me when I was picking up the machine.

12. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

That is true

13. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Whoops lol! Disregard my last statement haha. Thanks for showing that pic. I guess I assumed it was soldered because the RAM is.

14. dipm06 thread starter macrumors member

That may in fact be the case, but they did not mention it in the billing/repair statement. I'm sure they would have listed it since they listed everything else that was replaced. Also, I was told that Apple does not usually transfer data when they transfer hard drives.

----------

Exactly! I'm so scarred now because I feel that when my warranty is up and I have another "trackpad issue" they are going to have to replace everything and charge me an arm and a leg for repair costs!

15. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Uh... somebody was justifying their job. These warranty "over-fixes" happen all the time, especially in the auto industry.

16. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Manufactured Landscape

Well all of the disposed computer parts etc etc etc end up contaminating small villages in China. If they make gadgets that can't be fixed nor kept up by the user - well - there wont be a 'future'.

17. leman macrumors 604

What makes you think that? The rMBP is recyclable.

18. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not at Apple. Third-party maybe, but they don't replace things that don't need replacing at the actual Apple centers, and Apple keeps on them about that.

jW

19. dipm06 thread starter macrumors member

I was told by the people at Apple that they fix everything that doesn't pass the hardware tests. I'm guessing most of my components might have been partially responsible for the trackpad failure, which is why they replaced them. They do not fix what doesn't have to be repaired, but they do fix everything that is not working properly, regardless of whether or not it was the reason for brining it in for repair.

20. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Trackpad = is glued under the battery to the case as per ifixit. LCD is similarly integrated together.

rMBP is essentially a disposable.

Fans, logic board and SSD are the only easy part swaps based on ifixit teardown.

21. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yep. I didn't mean to suggest they wouldn't fix things you didn't say were having problems, but they replace what fails their tests and don't replace what doesn't. That was in response, of course, to the poster who said they would over-replace to justify their job, which is not true.

jW

22. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

I don't believe anything they "say", I've seen all kinds of techno :apple: waste.

23. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

That's really interesting. I'm continually glad that I bought the classic MBP (then again, I had my reasons over the rMBP).

24. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

25. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I'm just waiting for them to show in the refurb store lets go apple!