Sent in my rMBP for a trackpad repair and...

dipm06

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
This past week, my rMBP was at Apple because my trackpad was not working. To my surprise, basically all of the components of the rMBP were replaced.

Logic board
Screen - LG to Samsung
Battery and casing

It seems as if the only thing that wasn't replaced was the hard drive...

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
This past week, my rMBP was at Apple because my trackpad was not working. To my surprise, basically all of the components of the rMBP were replaced.

Logic board
Screen - LG to Samsung
Battery and casing

So they probably swapped your hard drive with a new machine? Costs more money to repair those parts in labor. It could be possible

Nautilus007

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
So they probably swapped your hard drive with a new machine? Costs more money to repair those parts in labor. It could be possible
This could be the case, but I was under the impression Apple has no responsibility for user data so wouldn't they just give him a brand new machine sans the data?

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
This could be the case, but I was under the impression Apple has no responsibility for user data so wouldn't they just give him a brand new machine sans the data?
Maybe it just seemed unreasonable to get a trackpad fixed but with all data gone?

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Check your serial number. If its different then they most likely gave you a new computer and cloned your drive.

----------

I believe the rMBP has the SSD soldered to the logic board, which means they can't just switch drives between computers.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Check your serial number. If its different then they most likely gave you a new computer and cloned your drive.

----------

I believe the rMBP has the SSD soldered to the logic board, which means they can't just switch drives between computers.
The SSD isn't soldered. It uses a proprietary interface though.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Logic board
Screen - LG to Samsung
Battery and casing

I had a problem with a MacBook Air.

They replaced everything including the battery and SSD. Why they didn't just replace the computer, confused just about everyone including the store manager who helped me when I was picking up the machine.

dipm06

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
That may in fact be the case, but they did not mention it in the billing/repair statement. I'm sure they would have listed it since they listed everything else that was replaced. Also, I was told that Apple does not usually transfer data when they transfer hard drives.

----------

the era of disposable computers....
Exactly! I'm so scarred now because I feel that when my warranty is up and I have another "trackpad issue" they are going to have to replace everything and charge me an arm and a leg for repair costs!

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
They replaced everything including the battery and SSD. Why they didn't just replace the computer, confused just about everyone including the store manager who helped me when I was picking up the machine.
Uh... somebody was justifying their job. These warranty "over-fixes" happen all the time, especially in the auto industry.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Manufactured Landscape

the era of disposable computers....
Well all of the disposed computer parts etc etc etc end up contaminating small villages in China. If they make gadgets that can't be fixed nor kept up by the user - well - there wont be a 'future'.

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
Well all of the disposed computer parts etc etc etc end up contaminating small villages in China. If they make gadgets that can't be fixed nor kept up by the user - well - there wont be a 'future'.
What makes you think that? The rMBP is recyclable.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Uh... somebody was justifying their job. These warranty "over-fixes" happen all the time, especially in the auto industry.
Not at Apple. Third-party maybe, but they don't replace things that don't need replacing at the actual Apple centers, and Apple keeps on them about that.

jW

dipm06

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
Not at Apple. Third-party maybe, but they don't replace things that don't need replacing at the actual Apple centers, and Apple keeps on them about that.

jW
I was told by the people at Apple that they fix everything that doesn't pass the hardware tests. I'm guessing most of my components might have been partially responsible for the trackpad failure, which is why they replaced them. They do not fix what doesn't have to be repaired, but they do fix everything that is not working properly, regardless of whether or not it was the reason for brining it in for repair.

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Trackpad = is glued under the battery to the case as per ifixit. LCD is similarly integrated together.

rMBP is essentially a disposable.

Fans, logic board and SSD are the only easy part swaps based on ifixit teardown.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I was told by the people at Apple that they fix everything that doesn't pass the hardware tests. I'm guessing most of my components might have been partially responsible for the trackpad failure, which is why they replaced them. They do not fix what doesn't have to be repaired, but they do fix everything that is not working properly, regardless of whether or not it was the reason for brining it in for repair.
Yep. I didn't mean to suggest they wouldn't fix things you didn't say were having problems, but they replace what fails their tests and don't replace what doesn't. That was in response, of course, to the poster who said they would over-replace to justify their job, which is not true.

jW

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
That's really interesting. I'm continually glad that I bought the classic MBP (then again, I had my reasons over the rMBP).