Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

einsteinium

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
For all those who have sent their machines to apple too many times heres some good news. My parents iBook (with applecare) was having frequent issues (sent to apple twice in the past six months for somethin on the order of $1500 in repairs). With enough complaints to apple and an explanation of being a dedicated user of apple machines (15+ years) she was able to convince customer support to replace her machine if anything hardware related were to break again.

Well lo and behold, today her logic board started acting up and upon calling apple once again and reminding them of their previous promise my mother will be recieving a brand new 900mhz iBook (her old one was a mere 600mhz).

So if you too are having frequent issues with your machine it might be worth trying to convince apple you are a loyal user who will be buying an apple again when yours is outdated in order to recieve a similar deal...

For having only paid $1000 for the laptop and $250 for the applecare, a brand new machine with significantly improved specs is a damn good deal...

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Yeah if my iBook goeso nthe fritz again i'm pushing for a new machine and perhaps an upgrade to a powerbook (+a little cash) who knows but my ibook has had 4 new logic boards (three times for a weird issue and one time for the power issue ) so next time i'm not ogign to stop until they fix it right :)

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: sent your machine too apple more than twice?

Originally posted by einsteinium
For all those who have sent their machines to apple too many times heres some good news. My parents iBook (with applecare) was having frequent issues (sent to apple twice in the past six months for somethin on the order of $1500 in repairs). With enough complaints to apple and an explanation of being a dedicated user of apple machines (15+ years) she was able to convince customer support to replace her machine if anything hardware related were to break again.

Well lo and behold, today her logic board started acting up and upon calling apple once again and reminding them of their previous promise my mother will be recieving a brand new 900mhz iBook (her old one was a mere 600mhz).

So if you too are having frequent issues with your machine it might be worth trying to convince apple you are a loyal user who will be buying an apple again when yours is outdated in order to recieve a similar deal...

For having only paid $1000 for the laptop and $250 for the applecare, a brand new machine with significantly improved specs is a damn good deal...

I'm actually pretty sure thats kind of apple's policy anyway. after a third time in for repair, they just replace it. Maybe its the fourth time, i forget exactly, but its actually very common for apple to replace total lemons.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Congratulations. After only 2 fixes, I'd consider your story a rarity. A more typical case would involve 4 or 5 returns and fixes, a lot of pleading, long discussions with a Manager, some cuddling (whatever it takes ;)), bloodshed, a hole in your wall, and an laptop that's returned in perfect condition.........for a few months. Then you have to return it again and cry for the 6th time. You would almost never get a new machine as easily as you have. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.