Separation of Religion from Politics

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Jun 27, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

So, unfortunately I turned the TV on and the "700 Club" was on. As I'm sure most know, this is a Christian talk show type thing where they review current events they feel are relevant to Christians. My question is, why the obvious political agenda? Today, the main holy dude on the show was on an anti-Obama administration rant regarding executive orders that actually had nothing to do with religion, and then went on to declare victory in the Supreme Court ruling about abortion clinic buffer zones and tried to turn it into a pro-life vs pro-choice thing, when really it was a freedom of speech thing. Why, I ask, do these religious people by default promote right wing points of view? They are alienating half of the entire country that they so wish would think like them, all they're doing is preaching to the choir instead of recruiting new members by remaining politically neutral. Why do so many Christians, especially ones on TV, automatically align themselves with a right wing agenda?

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

They've been seized by the Devil, and have forgotten what Jesus reportedly taught.

3. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Well that's all great and dandy, but I just think if they want to get into politics then they should start paying some damn taxes.

4. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Would you align with the side that gives you more power or less?

5. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I guess, but being more politically neutral could allow them to appeal to different/more audiences and wouldn't that give them more power as well?

6. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Not really. The people who disagree with your stances will continue to regardless of whether or not you try to appeal to them. It's a quid pro quo sort of arrangement, really. They do their best to help get Republicans elected, and Republicans do their best to give them what they want.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree. :)

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

is it possible the bible was indeed the word of the Devil with a few passages from Jesus just to make it seem somewhat legit?

bear with me, Jesus taught tolerance/love.respect, but the bible seems to be a lot about "control", I love George Carlins take on religion

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I can agree with this. :)

10. Felasco Guest

Um, that's not true. As example, there are lots of liberal Catholics who support gay rights, abortion rights etc.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

And support the Catholic church? Sorry, no matter how you slice it, that is not working, pick one or lick the other.

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Because they're not real Christians and they don't read their Bible. There is NOTHING truly Christian about the right wing. Not a single thing.

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Since many of these people are Baptists or have Baptist roots, it is really bizarre that they know so little about the history of the doctrine of Separation of Church and State.

http://baptistdistinctives.org/articles/baptists-separation-of-church-and-state/

14. FreemanW macrumors 6502

This.

To infinity, and beyond.

. . . . . and yes, religion is all about control and making people subservient

Lastly, there is a reason it is referred to as separation of church and state.

The line has not been blurred between church and state. It has been demolished. Taxable status, now. Pay off the deficit.

15. Felasco Guest

There's more to Catholicism than a few hot button social issues which have received prominent attention in the last couple of decades.

16. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

17. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Agnostic what? Agnostic Atheists? Agnostic Theists?

Agnostic is not really a religious stance beyond saying that you can't be 100% sure. Being Agnostic doesn't mean you do or do not believe.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Umm, I thought that was the point.

19. Felasco Guest

Watch out for those Fundamentalist Agnostics (like me) who are absolutely sure there is no certainty. Crazy fanaticism comes in so very different flavors, eh?

20. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Just making sure.

Also, I think we should just elect Atheists.

That's never going to happen, though.

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I'm not worried, unless you are a Fundamentalist Authoritarian Agnostic.

22. Felasco Guest

What a great idea, I never thought of that! Thanks!! My vast armies will now circle the globe enforcing uncertainty upon human populations. My opinion is that everyone with an opinion should be shot! And death to all fanatics too!!!

23. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

But what do we do if the Agnostic suddenly becomes religious after being elected?

24. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

That's why we should elect Atheists.

25. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The problem is Atheists have a belief that there isn't a higher power. We could have a problem of them making decisions that are discriminatory toward those that believe there is a higher power.