Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
If I order the 5S online on the morning of the 20th and if I am NOT able to pick up that phone in the store that day, will that screw up my chance of getting one in a store that same day for the contract price?

I honestly don't mind getting up early & waiting in line (if I have a friend join me it's usually a fun time) but I've noticed that specific stock gets limited. I am thinking of getting the 64g gold 5S and it's possible they will run out of that particular model.... so I dont want to count on getting an iphone in the store on launch day.

But if I order online for the $399 price (with the thought that I can cancel it later that day), is that using up my upgrade so that when I get to the store I won't have that option anymore?

Hope my question makes sense. :)

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Not a huge deal really but I get excited for the new phone each year; I'm sure I'm the only one who feels this way.

(Rude comment not necessary, btw)

It's not rude, you are just freaking out over something so trivial. I really want the 5S but I'll just order it when it's available. It will come.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Not a huge deal really but I get excited for the new phone each year; I'm sure I'm the only one who feels this way.

(Rude comment not necessary, btw)

Agree!. Although I don't need it on the first day, I would like it on the first day. We are all excited which is why we are on this forum.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
It's not rude, you are just freaking out over something so trivial. I really want the 5S but I'll just order it when it's available. It will come.

You totally ignored the OP in an effort to make him look like an outsider.

I plan on ordering mine online too, but I don't think that any of us truly understand how the 5S ordering process will work yet. Hopefully Apple will shed more light.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Why the urgency to have it on day 1?

First world problems 'n all that.

What's wrong with the OP wanting it on day one? Isn't this the place for Apple enthusiasts to be enthusiastic? People throw around that "first world" comment as an insult and as if to say they personally don't have the same inclinations. Let the guy geek out - it's harmless and to some degree why we're all here.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
If I order the 5S online on the morning of the 20th and if I am NOT able to pick up that phone in the store that day, will that screw up my chance of getting one in a store that same day for the contract price?

I honestly don't mind getting up early & waiting in line (if I have a friend join me it's usually a fun time) but I've noticed that specific stock gets limited. I am thinking of getting the 64g gold 5S and it's possible they will run out of that particular model.... so I dont want to count on getting an iphone in the store on launch day.

But if I order online for the $399 price (with the thought that I can cancel it later that day), is that using up my upgrade so that when I get to the store I won't have that option anymore?

Hope my question makes sense. :)

This makes sense.

That's what I was thinking. I take it orders will go live from midnight on the online Apple Store so I'm thinking I'll order one but still queue at my local Apple Store. If I get one at the Apple Store, hopefully I can just cancel the order I made online.

I'm still not 100% on what to do here!!

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
Let the guy geek out - it's harmless and to some degree why we're all here.

:) Thank you (geeky girl by the way). I'm not ashamed of being a nerd... I'm an accountant so I'm used to it. However, usually people I know tease me in jest; most don't try to make me feel like an idiot. Guess I need strangers to do that on a message board dedicated to iPhones (my friends would tease me just for coming onto this board).

ItsWelshy

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
:) Thank you (geeky girl by the way). I'm not ashamed of being a nerd... I'm an accountant so I'm used to it. However, usually people I know tease me in jest; most don't try to make me feel like an idiot. Guess I need strangers to do that on a message board dedicated to iPhones (my friends would tease me just for coming onto this board).

I'm also excited to get the new phone, I'm unable to get the Apple store until Saturday, so I'll order online Friday as a backup, then if I manage to get one on the Saturday, I'll cancel the order.

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
You can return apple devices within 2weeks anyway if the order does ship and it is no longer needed. Nothing to lose.

I'm just wondering if apple would be able to deliver by 21st Saturday, or will it be Monday 23rd

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
You can return apple devices within 2weeks anyway if the order does ship and it is no longer needed. Nothing to lose.

My real question is, if we do order online in the AM will that use up the available upgrade? Then, when we get to the store later in the day, will the upgrade be gone. Yes, we can cancel the order but maybe not instantaneously?

I'm just wondering if apple would be able to deliver by 21st Saturday, or will it be Monday 23rd

Definitely a good question... but it would be great if we could order online for store pickup. Then I can go in later in the day when they're not crazy. I'm not expecting that, though.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I'm going to take my chances later in the day. I've always busted my hump to get pre-orders in. I have a job I have to go to and can't afford to take the day off (or even the morning) just to get a new phone (never mind the comments I'd get from friends and family.) Probably head to Best Buy at lunch and see if they have any 64 gig's. I'm undecided on color, though I have been wanting to try a white face phone. I think I'll just keep trying until I can get one in store this year. Historically I've had decent luck at that with other devices. Guess we're all going to find out if that rumor about Touch ID sensors being in short supply is true...

----------

My real question is, if we do order online in the AM will that use up the available upgrade? Then, when we get to the store later in the day, will the upgrade be gone. Yes, we can cancel the order but maybe not instantaneously?

I seem to remember this causing problems for people last year. I won't be risking it.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I want it day 1 as well OP.

Good question OP. I'd be interested to know how that works as well.

I guess what I was going to do was first do the online order at midnight checking to see when delivery would be. If it was in store pickup same day, I click BUY. If it's delivery on say Monday, I probably click BUY. If its any later I close up, pack up and head to the Apple store to wait.

And ya people are pretty rude on this site anymore. Once I get this phone I'll probably stop posting and reading the forums and just stick to checking out the news and rumor articles. It's just complaint after complaint and rude comments anymore.

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
I seem to remember this causing problems for people last year. I won't be risking it.

Thanks, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I didn't remember that happening in the past (because I always pre-ordered for launch day delivery so it was never an issue for me) so hearing that it was an issue definitely made my decision.

I don't really mind waiting in line if with a friend... but this time of year I'm SUPER busy at work and coming in at 10am would be frowned upon.

ewils19

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Dallas, TX
Thanks, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I didn't remember that happening in the past (because I always pre-ordered for launch day delivery so it was never an issue for me) so hearing that it was an issue definitely made my decision.

I don't really mind waiting in line if with a friend... but this time of year I'm SUPER busy at work and coming in at 10am would be frowned upon.

It worked for me with my 4S, but I went through AT&T, not Apple.

blipper

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland
I actually did want to get a phone on the first as my current phone's mike has been malfunctioning for the last two months and I had been holding off trying to get it fixed (it's out of warranty) in anticipation of the 5s. OTOH, like others in this thread I have a job and a middle-aged body so I'm not interested in camping out on the first day.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009

If you even got in by 10am. Tired and smelly from camping out all night. :p

What phone are you using now? If a 4 I can see being anxious to upgrade on day 1. Anything after that, I don't think a few days or weeks will hurt. I know the feeling though. I'm an impulsive tech junkie so I want to have everything ASAP! :)

I'm very tempted by the gold. I think it looks really sharp. I also think I would get teased to no end. I could always play the "it was all the had in stock" card and put a leather case on it if it gets too bad. I think it will be easier for a female to pull it off. I'm a middle aged guy with a 4th kid on the way though. lol

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
If you even got in by 10am. Tired and smelly from camping out all night. :p

What phone are you using now? If a 4 I can see being anxious to upgrade on day 1. Anything after that, I don't think a few days or weeks will hurt. I know the feeling though. I'm an impulsive tech junkie so I want to have everything ASAP! :)

I'm very tempted by the gold. I think it looks really sharp. I also think I would get teased to no end. I could always play the "it was all the had in stock" card and put a leather case on it if it gets too bad. I think it will be easier for a female to pull it off. I'm a middle aged guy with a 4th kid on the way though. lol

I do have the 5 but my mom is very anxiously waiting for it. If I tell her I have to wait 2 weeks she's going to be very sad.

I really like the gold... although I'll end up with a case because I dont want a scratch like my 5 got when I dropped it. For you, I'm thinking the gold will still be more "manly" than the bright 5c colors. :)

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
is it fact online orders will start at midnight? pacific or eastern time? I remember pre orders were available at 3am EST for the 5

this whole can't pre order thing is terrible

Paulshaqz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
I've waited in line for first iPhone and iPhone 4 never on the small upgrades I think next year I'll do it again cause it will be a bigger upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.