Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Not much of a prediction now with everything in motion but at least it's here this Tuesday. And no I don't know for sure but it seems VERY likely after sifting through evidence and separating the BS from the kernels of truth.

That new Geekbench score holds little weight imo just because of the processor. I mean it's possible that Apple could be testing a variation of the 3770 for their own purposes but I just don't think it's likely. The "K" in a processor will always be suspect when it comes to Apple.

What really peaks my interest are the stock slippages en masse as well as the couple of reputable analysts beginning to discuss this issue... at all.

Before I was adamant about there being an iMac in October... and that may still be true... but since these are only "spec bumps" and this is back to school time... it would make more sense for Apple to release them sooner rather than later.

And I'll be more than happy to dine upon crow shall I be wrong.

:D

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Not much of a prediction now with everything in motion but at least it's here this Tuesday. And no I don't know for sure but it seems VERY likely after sifting through evidence and separating the BS from the kernels of truth.

That new Geekbench score holds little weight imo just because of the processor. I mean it's possible that Apple could be testing a variation of the 3770 for their own purposes but I just don't think it's likely. The "K" in a processor will always be suspect when it comes to Apple.

What really peaks my interest are the stock slippages en masse as well as the couple of reputable analysts beginning to discuss this issue... at all.

Before I was adamant about there being an iMac in October... and that may still be true... but since these are only "spec bumps" and this is back to school time... it would make more sense for Apple to release them sooner rather than later.

And I'll be more than happy to dine upon crow shall I be wrong.

:D

I dont think its nly going to be a spec bump. It expect a redesign. If not a redesing, atleast a more slim chassis because of the new screen technology. Even if its only the screen quality that is new, I call that a new design, which is more favorable than new visual look for the machine :) ...anyway, september rumors are taking of and I´m really happy it has finally started. The july and august trial news and different iphone 5 pieces has nearly made me mad from boredom.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I dont think its nly going to be a spec bump. It expect a redesign. If not a redesing, atleast a more slim chassis because of the new screen technology. Even if its only the screen quality that is new, I call that a new design, which is more favorable than new visual look for the machine :) ...anyway, september rumors are taking of and I´m really happy it has finally started. The july and august trial news and different iphone 5 pieces has nearly made me mad from boredom.

I'd be more than happy with same design as long as they dont screw things up with regards to aftermarket HDD and RAM upgrades. I dont want any more slimmer or lighter iMac. This is not an iPhone or laptop where you've to carry it around.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Won't be a redesign.

If they redesigned their flagship desktop line they would absolutely announce it during some sort of event. I mean they could do something like that on Sept 12th but I think that event is strictly for the iPhone.

I think it's a bit unrealistic to think it'll be a redesign bro.

I'd be more than happy if it was of course!

davidb367

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2007
Apple has had issues with contamination seeping in between the front glass panel and LCD for sometime now. I believe that they have finally identified and engineered a fix for the issue. The fix involves laminating the front glass to the LCD like on the MacBooks and MacBookPros. Manufacturing problems with the lamination process (as reported by some sources) probably held up the release of the bumped iMacs.

Once they can get the new parts in quantity, They will release the new version of the iMac.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Won't be a redesign.

If they redesigned their flagship desktop line they would absolutely announce it during some sort of event. I mean they could do something like that on Sept 12th but I think that event is strictly for the iPhone.

I think it's a bit unrealistic to think it'll be a redesign bro.

I'd be more than happy if it was of course!

unrealistic ?? what about those screen lamination issues? does that tell you something and delay ?? the current screens have been made since 2009, therefore they shouldnt have any issues right now? if there having issues with the screen that means its gonna be a new sort of screen or glass which is equal to new design. it just logic here. I think is unrealistic to say itd be the same design .. bro

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
I wouldn't really consider a different piece of glass a redesign.

And therein lies a head-scratcher. Laminated screen, no optical drive, USB3, thinner body, spec bump on everything else ... that isn't much worth hoopla. Certainly not the centerpiece of a press event. And being the cornerstone product, if it's in a press event it should be the headliner.

Flip side, those expected changes are worth more than a mere
new
store update. Nontrivial changes to a cornerstone product, after all.

What to do? amid a flurry of other introductions?

IMHO, only reason for an iMac media event is Retina, which few are seriously expecting.

sucramdi

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Quebec
Why do people care about the iMac being slimmer? It's a desktop, let it take up all the space it needs and let me open the back and replace things myself. And don't think Apple wouldn't do something like because the iMac G5 had a removable back panel just like the Mac Pro and you could change any parts you wanted.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Why do people care about the iMac being slimmer? It's a desktop, let it take up all the space it needs and let me open the back and replace things myself. And don't think Apple wouldn't do something like because the iMac G5 had a removable back panel just like the Mac Pro and you could change any parts you wanted.

I care about how sexy it looks, of course. that among many other things is the reason I buy an iMac. It can alway be better in all ways, both looks and performance. Apple is the only one who understand how to make an AiO computer, that doesn´t mean they should stagnate and not improve their machines.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2012
unrealistic ?? what about those screen lamination issues? does that tell you something and delay ?? the current screens have been made since 2009, therefore they shouldnt have any issues right now? if there having issues with the screen that means its gonna be a new sort of screen or glass which is equal to new design. it just logic here. I think is unrealistic to say itd be the same design .. bro

Okayyy... alrighty then.

I'm talking about a complete redesign of the iMac not just updating or upgrading it's parts. I think it's more likely that we'll see a spec bump... not a completely new machine.

1. ANY new, redesigned iMac would have retina displays and I simply don't think the tech is there yet. You wouldn't redesign the iMac or Mac Pro even... without having retina displays ready in 21.5 and 27 inches imo.

2. ANY new, redesigned iMac would take center stage and have an announcement. I simply don't see a redesigned iMac sharing that stage with a brand new iPhone.

I could go on but I think the earliest we'll see a redesigned iMac will be around THIS time... next year. However I think we'll see a redesigned Mac Pro around April - May 2013.

It's all speculation. It's kinda like fantasy football only with corporations and their products. lol

^ I'm patenting that idea. You heard it here first!

whitel4

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2012
UK
Joke

Man, I would love to believe there was going to be an upgrade but I think its a load of BS!!

Is this the only source you have and how reliable is that source?

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Okayyy... alrighty then.

I'm talking about a complete redesign of the iMac not just updating or upgrading it's parts. I think it's more likely that we'll see a spec bump... not a completely new machine.

1. ANY new, redesigned iMac would have retina displays and I simply don't think the tech is there yet. You wouldn't redesign the iMac or Mac Pro even... without having retina displays ready in 21.5 and 27 inches imo.

2. ANY new, redesigned iMac would take center stage and have an announcement. I simply don't see a redesigned iMac sharing that stage with a brand new iPhone.

I could go on but I think the earliest we'll see a redesigned iMac will be around THIS time... next year. However I think we'll see a redesigned Mac Pro around April - May 2013.

It's all speculation. It's kinda like fantasy football only with corporations and their products. lol

^ I'm patenting that idea. You heard it here first!

You don't know what you're talking about it's not going to be next week and it's going to be a new redesign you heard it here first. I can almost put money on that I'll come back to this very thread next week to tell you I told you so.

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
I'd be more than happy with same design as long as they dont screw things up with regards to aftermarket HDD and RAM upgrades. I dont want any more slimmer or lighter iMac. This is not an iPhone or laptop where you've to carry it around.

Absolutely agree on this.
Why slimmer?!? It's more than slim enough.
I'd much rather they worked on the known problems, than on making it slimmer.

If you want slim, you already have products that "do" that. ;)

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
from the front page, I'm not sure what this tells us:

On the iMac front, Kuo indicates that Apple will not be introducing Retina displays to the lineup this year, but that the company is working to fully laminate the current display panel to the cover glass for improved display quality. The process has proven to be challenging, and with lower yields on the 27-inch display than on the 21.5-inch panel, Kuo is modeling for sooner availability of the smaller model. We would naturally expect Apple to introduce both models at the same time, but the 27-inch may see either delayed availability or tight initial supplies as production on the panels ramps up.

Kuo now believes that the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro and an updated 21.5-inch iMac could appear at any time, followed by the next-generation iPhone and iPod touch in mid-September. A tweaked full-size iPad and updated iPod nano would follow in early October, with the iPad mini and new 27-inch iMac later in October.

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
You don't know what you're talking about it's not going to be next week and it's going to be a new redesign you heard it here first. I can almost put money on that I'll come back to this very thread next week to tell you I told you so.

All we can do is wait for the burning bush from on top Mount Cupertino and the booming voice of Tim Cook to let us know.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Absolutely agree on this.
Why slimmer?!? It's more than slim enough.
I'd much rather they worked on the known problems, than on making it slimmer.

If you want slim, you already have products that "do" that. ;)
I'm also guessing slimmer may mean hotter. :eek: I'd settle for fatter with a matte screen. :D

Atisha

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Well guys I hope it's true, even if 27" is in Oct., even if it's just a spec bump, congrats. If 21.5" comes out within 3 weeks I'll strongly consider returning my rMBP (arrives in 1 week) and getting one. Either way something exciting is going to happen. This iMac is VERY late.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Losing the optical drive, adding usb 3 and then significantly increasing performance would be all i would hope for.

As someone else said, nobody can do a decent AIO. Not even Sony. The iMac is, and always have been one of the most fascinating products. It's a great machine. I don't think it needs a bump in real estate. Just more performance. And at a better price with better temperatures. Lack ODD would help. A more affordable SSD + HDD availability config would be appreciated too.

sucramdi

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Quebec
I care about how sexy it looks, of course. that among many other things is the reason I buy an iMac. It can alway be better in all ways, both looks and performance. Apple is the only one who understand how to make an AiO computer, that doesn´t mean they should stagnate and not improve their machines.

I know what you mean, the iMac G5 looked a little weird because of how thick it was, and of course a thinner iMac would be gorgeous and very impressive. However I'd rather see some expandibilty first, and then let Apple figure out how to stuff it into a thinner design, or at least get rid of that chin.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Idk what you guys talking about I would take a slimmer therefore sexier iMac any day over the current design I love Ives design he doesnt disappoint i could care less if it takes more or less space in desk. I'd love to be a new design whether it is slimmer or not but I hope it is.

captmatt

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
The Mac Mini got way overdue once. The new one was redesigned some but not much. Perhaps the same is true here. Laminated screen and USB 3 seem to be a given. Not much to headline an event. I suspect the optical drive will remain. I hope the laminated screen doesn't make it harder to open it up and update the HDD. I intend to immediately replace it with an SSD. I don't want the Apple tax on that. Screen lamination could easily explain the delay. Plus a desire to push fencesitters into the laptop arena. (The forums have several who gave up waiting for the iMac and got the new MBP. The delay for the iMac probably bumped up MBP sales some.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.