Series 0 Stainless Steel Owners: Upgrade to Series 2 or 3?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MJedi, Sep 13, 2017.

?

What would you upgrade from a Series 0 Stainless Steel to?

1. Series 2 Stainless Steel

17.1%
  2. Series 3 Stainless Steel

57.8%
  3. Neither

25.1%
  1. MJedi, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Hello all,

I have the Series 0 Stainless Steel, and looking to upgrade. My dilemma is what to upgrade to: Series 2 or Series 3?

I want to stay with SS, so if I went to the S3, I would have to get the LTE version. I don't want LTE since I have my iPhone with me all the time. And I never had a situation when I wished my Apple Watch had LTE. But the only SS option has LTE. And it also costs more to have the LTE hardware.

I could get a S2, which is even cheaper now. But the geek in me would want the latest and greatest. I know it has a faster processor, which would help with its longevity. I just don't know if it's worth getting the S3 for hardware I would not use.

So SS owners, especially those with Series 0, what would you upgrade to?

Thanks.

2. Cogsworth macrumors 6502

Cogsworth

I am in exactly the same position. I've got a SS Series 0 and I've been waiting to upgrade. I hardly ever use my watch for calls now, so there's no way I'm going to pay AT&T an extra $10 a month for LTE functionality on my watch. I'm thinking about upgrading to the Series 3 and just not activating the cellular functions, but I'm not sure if it's really worth it.

I much prefer the stainless steel and I'm definitely not going to switch to aluminum, but I am frustrated there is no non-LTE version offered.

Also, I kind of dislike the stupid red crown. It's not a deal-breaker exactly, but I know I will be annoyed if I get the Series 3 and then Apple gets rid of the red crown on the next version.

3. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Maybe they'll color code the crown moving forward? I'm leaning towards a S3 and just not using LTE, not paying $120/yr. when I almost always have my phone and watch on me. To Hermes or not Hermes.... that is the real question.

4. Stlcheer macrumors 6502

I think I’m going with the sport version for the series 3. I love the stainless but I don’t know if I want to pay that much again.

5. ascender macrumors 68000

That's exactly the position I'm in. I really like my SS, but with the addition of gps it's going to be used a lot more for my exercise stuff and I think it's going to get a lot more punishment on the hills etc which is making me think the regular aluminium one is a better bet.

Plus, as smart as the SS looks, the alu has really grown on me and looks nearly as good with all the straps I have.

I think it is a good time to upgrade though given the improvements from 0 to 3.

Still wavering, not sure what to get.

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I like your thinking here. For me, I don't have any use for LTE. But the Hermès Apple Watch is priced similar to the Edition. And you get a really nice leather band with it. The only drawback is the steep price point.

7. Stlcheer macrumors 6502

I’m sure I’ll end up deciding at the very last minute before preorder.

8. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

Slightly different conundrum... SS0 owner since day one with the link bracelet which I love for the fit, feel and build quality. I only ever swap it out for a sport band when exercising.

I was really looking forward to upgrading to a stainless S3 with the LTE. However, Apple have partnered with only one carrier here (EE in the UK) which is not mine so they’ve lost a sale.

Not too impressed with the red crown either but that wouldn’t have stopped me buying.

9. ascender macrumors 68000

Honestly? I don't think i care about SS on this watch enough to pay the extra.

GPS and the altimeter will mean i use the watch more for tracking runs where i'm not out for a very long time - I'll still use my Suunto for that. But I can see me using it for my daily runs and any commutes to the office.

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Not impressed enough by the updates to consider upgrading this time. I might be tempted if I see a cheap SS Series 2.

11. truesepho macrumors regular

I'd love to update my SS S0, but I hate the red dot on the Digital Crown... so I'll pass for now

12. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Do the S3 SS models have a different finish from the S2 versions - in other words they are no longer the shiny finish but now look much more like the aluminium ones? I much prefer the shiny look of the S2 space black, and they way it blends with the display.

13. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Same. Series 2 offers most everything someone would need in a smart watch for fitness and notifications, aside from LTE. But what I look forward to next is a redesign with a larger Watch face, more Watch faces, additonal stainless casing options, etc. I question when we will see the next major change.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Sadly I agree, they seem more than happy to stick with the current design.

15. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Series 2 (which I own) is gonna drop in price now. The cellular will add to your monthly cost and reduce the battery of the watch. And the version without cellular is not That different from Series 2. Don't buy Series 1 though.

16. madgalaxy macrumors member

Same here. I currently have a series 0 SS black. I have no need for LTE, so I may get a discounted series 2 SS black. I have a feeling next year will see a big change with the Apple Watch design.

17. Robdmb macrumors member

I have a Series 0 and was thinking of upgrading. However, I think I am going to try to hold out another year.

18. MJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

MJedi

I'm still going back and forth on this. Pre-orders begin tonight so I'm feeling a little pressure.

19. KOTULCN macrumors 6502

I have a SS 0 edition but I’m going with the LTE space grey sport this time. With AC+ I’m not too concerned about damaging it and it weighs a lot less.

20. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

As of now I am wanting the ss again. I work outside so I feel the sapphire is worth the extra price. I don't really need the cellular but the gps and water resistance will be nice for cycling and/or swimming. I'm not looking to upgrade the phone this year so maybe I'll use that savings for the ss series 3. I do like some of the nike bands though. I will wait until tomorrow morning and see how quick some of those models are shipping and maybe decide then.

21. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

That's the big question. When do we see the next Apple Watch launch with the physical revisions and other enhancements. I question if 2018 will be the year or not. But then again, I don't know if I see the Apple Watch updating on an annual basis as it would be the third straight year annually if we do see another Apple Watch next year.

22. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Well I've had a series 0 stainless steel since the official launch, and while I've enjoyed it a lot, I realize the tech is advancing faster than the watch is wearing out. My sapphire crystal is still flawless and there are only a few scuff marks on the body after wearing it daily. I'm also pretty certain I won't use LTE often enough to justify the monthly service cost. I have a cellular iPad that never gets connected as it is. Therefore, I've decided to go for the non-LTE series 3 sports in Space Grey this time. That color was always appealing and most people who have it seem happy. I think the speed improvements going from S0 to S3 will be most impressive, if nothing else. I'm slightly nervous about the crystal, but since it's cheaper, I should be more willing to keep it updated.

23. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

I almost bought a SS S3 thru Verizon’s website - I had it carted and stopped short of checkout. I just can’t justify the watch AND buy the X next month too

So I will hang on to my daily SS S0 for now
    I think if the design was much different externally I wouldn’t be able to hold back

24. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

I sold my S0 SBSS last week. I ordered a S2 SBSS from B&H for $499.99, free shipping and no sales tax.

25. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I went from SS series 0 to series 2 about 6 months ago. Unfortunately the SS series 3 only available with LTE.

Remember series 3 has 16GB of memory. That might matter to you...or not...