Series 1 $209 at Target — has it ever been cheaper?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by neoelectronaut, Feb 17, 2018.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Thinking it finally diving in on a Series 1 Watch and it’s current sale price of $209 seems pretty good for the 42mm model. Has it ever been cheaper or is this about the best I can expect?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

3. koolmagicguy macrumors 6502

koolmagicguy

I got my 32mm series 1 for $199 pre tax at Best Buy. That was about 2 months ago. $209 is a steal for the 42mm.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That’s about as low as of a price as I have heard of. The only other time I heard of a price that low was during Black Friday.

5. Hal~9000 macrumors 68020

Hal~9000

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

It was $179 at target or Best Buy last week

7. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Guess I’ll wait it out then. I hesitated last night and didn’t get it, and now it’s back up to $279 at Best Buy and only $229 at Target. $160 for the 42mm sounds great, so I’ll wait for that.

8. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

For the 38mm. $209 for 42mm

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Watch for Best Buy sales often. They will have flash sales that may only be advertised sometimes online and their weekly sales usually end on Saturday at midnight, when Sunday starts a new week of sales.

10. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

Try Macy’s. They have the series 1 starting at $179.00. At least it has been for the past week.

11. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Listed at $279, unfortunately.

Thanks for the heads up though.

12. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Correct.... I had BB price match Target's

13. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

That was my plan but I at a relative's place Saturday night and couldn't make it to Best Buy before closing. Would have taken the 5% back in rewards over the flat 5% off that Target gives with my Red Card, though I guess beggars shouldn't have been choosers.

14. jagfan macrumors newbie

Bought the 38mm Series 1 last month at local Target for $179. It was on sale for a few weeks. Think they may be clearing them out.

15. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

So Best Buy sent me a 10% off coupon for any regular priced item in the store, and I'm using this as my sign to get an Apple Watch.

So that means a Series 1 Apple Watch is $251 prior to tax. That's not great, especially since Target has 'em currently on sale for $229 and had them for $209 last week.

If I can somehow manage stacking a price match to Target with Best Buy's coupon I can get it for $206 pre-tax, even cheaper than Target's lowest price, but I have a feeling Best Buy's system is set up to prevent this. (Though I may try anyway.)

Or I could always just go for a Series 3 model. That'd be $323 prior to tax. I don't think the Series 3 has ever been "on sale" outside of cell carriers pushing their plans with them, so I could use this as a sale that otherwise doesn't happen.

Apple has recently had the Series 3 models pop up on their refurbished site for $309, which is roughly 15% off, so that was the best deal to my knowledge, but me like a dummy let them lapse.

Though I'd be getting back 5% in rewards from Best Buy on any of these purchases, meaning that's about $16 Best Buy funbucks from the Series 3 purchase to spend in-store, and if you want to roll that into the value of the purchase itself means that I'm "techincally" getting the watch for $307.

I've been telling myself for so long that all I needed was the Series 1 that I hadn't even considered the Series 3 but now I don't know what to think.

Decisions, decisions.

16. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I would say that if you're planning on having that watch for a while, just get the series 3... if you think you'll be tempted to upgrade to a series 4 or 5 in the future, get the series 1.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I personally would opt for the Series 3 at this point. Given that watchOS 5 is upon us, you would at least be more comfortable knowing that Series 3 will be supported longer and how it will respond to watchOS 5 considering Series one will be almost 2 years old in September 2018. At least it would ‘Futureproo’f updates and performance with the Series 3, even though others may say there’s no such thing as future proofing in the tech industry.

18. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

Damn that's cheap. Just got off the phone with support in regards to the screen popping off out of nowhere. And they invoiced me $255CAD for a replacement. But what I forgot to mention is that the battery looked swollen.

So it's covered under the extended 3 year warranty(bought in 2015)... so I had a chat with support and will have it repaired for free.
    Any other non informed buyer would pay for the repair... sigh.

19. adamh10 macrumors member

adamh10

Honestly, a Series 1 Apple Watch is not worth $209 in my opinion.

It is much more worth your money to pay a little bit more for a Series 3 device. The cost is not substantially more considering how much you're already spending and how much more you truly get for the additional cost of a Series 3; it's not even comparable to Series 1! The water-proofing alone is an absolutely major factor to be considered in the cost difference, in my opinion.

Cheers!

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I agree. At this point, Series one is still a very viable watch, but I question how the future watchOS updates will respond. Series 3, even if it means spending a little bit more money, at least would alleviate the concern of how the watch will react with a much faster improved with the dual core processor. WatchOS 5 will be here soon enough.

21. adamh10 macrumors member

adamh10

Indeed - this! In addition to what I've said, @Relentless Power makes a few fantastic points here.

Series 1 is not likely to be supported for much longer with future watchOS updates, first and foremost, so features and the devices may become obsolete sooner than one may think.

Honestly, it is much more worth the money to get a current Series 3 devices, set to have a much longer product life expectancy and features that heavily outweigh Series 1 and provide a great justification for the added cost.

Series 1 is a great device - I had one as my first Apple Watch for quite some time before upgrading to Series 3 Apple Watch Edition in the Fall - however it's just far behind compared to today's Watches and should not be considered, IMO.

Cheers :)

22. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this point simply because Apple still sells new Series 1 watches (having bailed on the 2) in addition to the Series 3. This being the case my personal belief is that I can still see them supporting it for WatchOS versions 5 and 6.

That said, for daily use, I'd still get the Series 3 myself.

Disclaimer: I did pick up a Series 1 from Target before Christmas 2017 for my sleep tracking (to augment my S3+LTE day watch) - but then again I only paid $20 with the rest coming from accumulated Target gift cards over the years, so it was pretty much a no-brainer for me!

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The only reason Apple stop selling/manufacturing the Series 2 on their website was because it’s in direct competition with the Series 3 in terms of features, and naturally the consumer is going to choose the cheaper option between the Series 2 IF they had retained it in their lineup, which directly would affect the Series 3 sales. There is no other reason why they discontinued the Series 2 except for that. Series 1 one it’s just an entry-level watch for obvious reasons.

As for future watchOS states, watchOS 5 would be likely to be supported for Series 1, but WatchOS 6 isn’t even worth discussing that far in advance.

24. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

If Apple continue the current cadence with their OS releases then WatchOS6 is only 1.5 years away.

25. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

So unsurprisingly the 10% coupon I wanted to use on the Apple Watch in fact does not cover the Apple Watch. Sigh.