Series 3 SS Silver or SS Black or not at all (from a SS series 2)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BillGates1969, Sep 30, 2017.

1. BillGates1969 macrumors 6502

BillGates1969

Hi all,

I am torn a bit with what to do.

I have £700 worth of Apple Store vouchers that I got for my birthday at the beginning of September - the original plan was a new iPhone, but seeing as I have a 7+, I feel the 8+ is not enough of a upgrade and the X to me is great, but the price is just stupid.

So here is my quandary. I have a 42mm SS S0 and a 42mm SS S2. I have the Apple Silver Milanese strap (came with the S0) and the Apple Black Milanese strap (looks surprisingly good on a silver SS model), as well as more sports bands than I can be bothered to post! I am on Vodafone in the UK so in the next 12 months I doubt very much LTE is coming to me for a watch or very soon after that.

I am torn between something different of the SB SS 42 Series 3 over a new Silver SS 42 Series 3. I can't use the LTE, but the only way to go stainless is to buy an LTE model.

So after the above ramble/scene setting what are your opinions? Is it worth an upgrade first over the S2 (bearing in mind that I won't use LTE) and how premium does the black SS look? I love the fact that with the silver, I can stick on a Milanese strap and it looks great with a suit, and then my goto straps are normally sports straps for around the house/weekends. I'm not particularly interested in saying "look at me I have a SS watch not a aluminium one", but I feel after having 2 SS models I would be disappointed with an aluminium one?

I suppose another option is put a bit more towards a Hermes or Ceramic? Though as you can see from my Apple watch collection I probably will upgrade to a Series 4 next year lol so financially that may not be very astute.

Opinions?

2. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

Get the iPhone X. You’re going to get way more out of it than a S3 without LTE, especially since you yourself say you probably wouldn’t be happy with an Al over a SS. I wouldn’t either.

You asked for opinions!

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don't necessarily consider the Apple Watch Series 2 substantial upgrade to the Series 3. I would consider it more of a lateral grade . Really what you're receiving with the Series 3, is LTE, audible Siri, and a faster dual core processor. Otherwise the Series 3 it's fairly similar to the Series 2. But you do have the option of not using LTE if you so choose.

As far as which stainless model to choose, they both have their advantages. The regular stainless model is easiest to pair bands with and it looks good with the high shine with the stainless. The stainless black Apple Watch is extremely durable with the diamond like carbon coating. But bands is more difficult to pair with that model.

My opinion, is since you already own two regular stainless models, I would opt for the black stainless to mix it up a little bit and it really does look nice and offers a lot of durability the DLC coating.

The only downside to the Series 3 stainless models, is it no longer comes with a plastic box that stores the Apple Watch. It now just includes the watch inside the box. The only models that have the plastic box is the Ceramic Edition and I believe the Hermès Apple Watch.

4. BillGates1969 thread starter macrumors 6502

BillGates1969

I am leaning towards the Black SS - just to mix it up. I can always use my Silver SS (if I don’t sell it) if I want that look.

5. jonstatt1 macrumors 6502

Just remember the black Milanese loop can scratch the screen or the back very easily. I have also pondered whether the strap can scratch the sides of the watch as well as it rubs as you loosen or tighten the strap.

6. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

Especially if you keep the SS S2, I would go with SBSS. Mix it up, options, and it looks really good. I would have bought SBSS if not for expensive bands that would get no use.

Going from S2 to S3 LTE is a noticeable difference besides LTE - much smoother and faster in my opinion. But for those more smart with their money than me, it might not be worth it. I decided not to get a new iPhone so I had no problem spending.

7. BillGates1969 thread starter macrumors 6502

BillGates1969

Sort of my view as well - the vouchers were meant to be for an iPhone (I get them every year for my birthday...which always falls at the beginning of September every year lol), so I have £700 to spend at Apple. May as well get a new watch and maybe let my nephew have my S0.

SB looking appealing as it is different - I think I need to take a look in store rather than buy online blind.

The other option is an ATV4k and a home pod with a bit of change.

I hate it when vouchers burn a hole in my pocket!

8. satchmo macrumors 68020

Ah, first world problems. :p:)
    I say hold onto the vouchers until something really different comes along. Sounds like your iPhone and watches are still very capable devices. Especially if you have a SS Series 2, and you can't use LTE, anything else would mostly be bragging rights.

How about a Home Pod in December? :)

9. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

Indeed the S3 feels more fluid to use than the S2. IMHO a worthwhile upgrade (though a costly one when going stainless steel), even without considering LTE.

The iPhone X is in some ways similar to the Apple Watch S0: The first of a new kind of breed. Apple did some radical changes there. Some things won't work as smoothly as desirable, some things will likely see significant improvements next year. There's a reason for the old saying never to get the initial version of a new Apple product (unless you're the adventurous type ).

Unfortunately that may also hold true for the HomePod, even though I'm eyeing that myself

How long are those vouchers valid, anyway?

10. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68020

Yea, I heard a rumor that birthdays fall on the same calendar day each year. :) you lucky dawg to get that much money though I don’t know the conversion for your money to US (ignorant me).

Passing down S0-2 is my normal stance with my kids and especially with phones since I pay for them all.

11. BillGates1969 thread starter macrumors 6502

BillGates1969

Don’t think they have an expiry date as purchased for cash?

12. BillGates1969 thread starter macrumors 6502

BillGates1969

Lol the majority were bought by my daughter who now lives in the US and feels guilty at not seeing her dad as much . Around $900 I think?

13. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

$937,88

14. BillGates1969 thread starter macrumors 6502

BillGates1969

Lazy me...should of just asked Siri

15. danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

16. Leica Dad Suspended

Leica Dad

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This is true because the black Milanese loop also has a diamond like carbon coating, which can scratch the heart rate sensor area or display if not careful with it.

18. BillGates1969 thread starter macrumors 6502

BillGates1969

19. danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

I got the SBM strap when it came out, and wore it every day from that point onwards. The strap did cause micro abrasions on the side of the watch body (due to the strap occasionally wrapping round the body when not worn) but they were super difficult to see.

Here’s an image of my S0 after wearing it with the Milanese for at least a year. You’ll want to zoom in!

Oh, and it scratched my iPhone screen when I once rested it there over night. Don’t do that!

Attached Files:

20. riverfreak, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

I think I would find it very odd to be moving between watches with substantively different capabilities.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2017 ---
    But, but, you’re still spending...
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2017 ---
    How does one sign up for this voucher program?

Sorry if my posts have a little snark. None intended!! Just think your money could be better spent elsewhere.

21. BillGates1969 thread starter macrumors 6502

BillGates1969

Straight on the Apple website - Apple store vouchers. Got to make sure you get them in the intended country of use - My daughter in the US originally bought vouchers from the US store and we found I could not use them in the UK store (obvious now as they are in $ not £), had a bit of a nightmare getting them refunded, then Amex thought it was fraud was she bought them again on the UK store :)

All ok now though.