Series 4 Counting a boatload of flights each day...

BF1M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2018
I just now noticed, seems to have started around the 1st of the year... I've barely moved today and it's saying I climbed 56 flights....

Hardware or software?

Donnation

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2014
I would think its software. The first thing I would do is to unpair the watch and then re-pair it and see if that fixes the issue.

BF1M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2018
I reset the calibration data and that had no effect. I'll try that next, thanks.

Yea, that didn't do anything to fix the issue. I've logged 13 flights of stairs over the hour doing desk work.

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008
If the weather is crazy, it can mess with flights.

The watch uses the altimeter to calculate flights, and if the pressure is changing that can affect it.
Although if this is happening every day, probably not the case

Reactions: BF1M and NoBoMac

BF1M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2018
Yea, I’ve seen small variations due to weather before but never to this degree. I tried to set it up and wear it as a brand new watch just now and I logged 12 flights just in 10 mins so it’s clearly physically broken.

Which is probably my fault, it’s beat to hell and I’m not easy on my toys. You should see the screen......

GRT89521

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2018
I'm seeing around 60 a day as well. I figure 10-15 is about right on a given day based on being located on the second floor at work. I had 109 yesterday, but I ran up a huge mountain at lunch; I assume that counts towards my "flights" calculation.

BF1M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2018
Using a series 4?

I just assumed, after trying reset etc, that I broke it physically because again, I’m not easy one it but perhaps it is software?

edhchoe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Mine did it also.
I took it to Apple and they offered to take a look but I would not have the watch for like 2 weeks.
I said no thanks because I need my apple watch everyday.
I ended up buying a AW5.

BF1M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2018
Mine did it also.
I took it to Apple and they offered to take a look but I would not have the watch for like 2 weeks.
I said no thanks because I need my apple watch everyday.
I ended up buying a AW5.
Yea, I hear you there. This same watch about 6 months ago stopped responding to Force Touch and I was told by AppleCare I could replace it right in the store. Of course when I get there to do that, it turns out to be incorrect. Turn around time was only 4 or 5 day though.

If it is indeed hardware, I'd like to break this one more before thinking of upgrading haha. I've been having such a horrible time with Apple software lately(iOS 13 in particular) I was assuming this was just more of the same crap.

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
What happens if you remove the watch as a data source in the health app on the iPhone? I would think that would stop the counting of extra flights.

What if you install a barometer app like UpHigh. you can have that track changes in pressure in real time and so you can see that reading on the watch bounce around (my range at my desk would be 2-3 feet up and down normally). It seems like the barometer sensor on the watch is broken? I don't think UpHigh uses the phone, so it is the one app I know of that shows continuous readings from the watch; but to be sure, turn off the phone first and then run it.

BF1M

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2018
What happens if you remove the watch as a data source in the health app on the iPhone? I would think that would stop the counting of extra flights.

What if you install a barometer app like UpHigh. you can have that track changes in pressure in real time and so you can see that reading on the watch bounce around (my range at my desk would be 2-3 feet up and down normally). It seems like the barometer sensor on the watch is broken? I don't think UpHigh uses the phone, so it is the one app I know of that shows continuous readings from the watch; but to be sure, turn off the phone first and then run it.

I'll try that app, is it free? I'm pretty certain it's broken. I've hit it against walls, dropped it, dropped into water rolled over the watch with an office chair etc I've not been nice to it haha