Serious bug you may encounter if you downgrade to 6.1.3, and how to fix it.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by mrat93, Jun 15, 2013.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I bought a used 5th gen iPod touch last week for my girlfriend's sister, and I figured I'd play around with it by installing iOS 7, and downgrade to iOS 6 when I eventually give it to her.

I did a DFU restore to 6.1.3, and the restore completed fine. However, when I plugged it into iTunes, it said that the iPod was already activated with an Apple ID, and that I'd have to log in using that Apple ID. It was my Apple ID, so I figured it would be no problem. When I typed in my password, the form just reset itself. I tried a couple more times, and still no luck. I thought I'd have to call Apple support to help me out, which is one thing I didn't ever expect to do, as I knew what I was getting myself into when installing the beta.

The solution was to go through the setup process on the iPod (or iPhone) itself. Once you log in to the associated Apple ID on the device, you can complete the process in iTunes without issues.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This is the new anti-theft feature isn't it? I thought you had to lock down the phone from Find My iPhone for this to be enabled? If it can get enabled without the user being aware of it, I see a lot of problems in the future with people trying to sell / pass on their used iDevices, and the new owner finding that the device is locked down.

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

You do not have to lock down the phone.
    The feature is enabled by default and doesn't let you perform and sort of restore, either on the phone itself or through iTunes, without first turning off "Find My iPhone".
    It shouldn't be a problem because who's ever going to sell or pass on their phone without first erasing it?
    You try to erase the phone, it tells you to turn off Find My iPhone, you enter your password, and the erase proceeds.
    The next user or buyer will now have no problems at all.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Oh, I'm sure someone will! There are always people who are clueless, and don't know that a erase all feature exists, much less that you should use it.