Serious question about iPhone Tracking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by funkdoctor, Sep 5, 2012.

1. funkdoctor macrumors member

I am going to post here a story, as it happened to me with the hopes that someone can offer a reasonable explanation (as I have been unable to figure it out myself). I'm honestly not trying to jump into some "conspiracy theory" as I am inclined to think that there is a reasonable explanation that I am not thinking of. So here it goes:

I have a family phone plan that I have put my parents on as they are both senior citizens and I was trying to encourage my father to carry a phone on him at all times so that it is easier for me to reach him or vice versa. The phone he carries is a regular Verizon feature phone, I think a LG something or other.

About a week ago, my Father failed to show for an appointment and a few of my family members were worried as he had been gone for several hours and was not answering his phone. I tried calling him several times, text messaging etc. and could not reach him. After a few hours, I got the idea to call Verizon and see if they could maybe tell me a location on the phone, or give me an idea of what cell tower it might be using. I was hoping that this information would give me an idea of his location and help me track him down.

When I called Verizon, the Rep that I was transferred to told me that "if your Dad has an iPhone, I can track him for you." Now after I informed him which line was my fathers, he told me that "Sorry, I would only be able to track it if it was an iPhone."

Now what I have been wondering is - Why only an iPhone? For instance, my wife has an iPhone but I would not be able to track it using Find Me because I don't know her password. If my dad had an iPhone, how would he have been able to track it without a password? Also, the Rep did not say "Smartphone" - only "iPhone". Any ideas? Also, my dad returned home later and had simply left the phone in his glove box.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like BS to me.
    Carriers dont help their customers track any phones or iphones.
    You have to use find my iphone for that.
    If everyone called up verizon looking to see where their boyfriend is or their wifes forget it. Doesnt make any sense unless they have a subpoena from a law enforcement agency and court order to track it using cell tower triangulation to give an estimated location if the phone is on.

3. funkdoctor thread starter macrumors member

Are you saying that my story is BS or that the guy was full of BS saying they could track an iPhone? I've already stated in the story above that they were NOT able to track the phone for me as I had hoped. The only question I'm asking is

Can anyone think of a reason that the Rep would say 2-3 times that they could track it if it was an iPhone?

I have no reason to make up this story, but at the time I was too worried about other stuff to ask him "How?" (such as my father being missing). Now I'm just curious.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

On the Verizon website it has "Family Locator" as a service package for $10/mo. So basically you would buy that then you could track all the phones on your line.

I think you'd be able to use it with any GPS enabled device, not just the iPhone. The smartphones just give extra locating possibilities.

https://products.verizonwireless.com/index.aspx?id=fnd_familylocator

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Op just put find friends (apple app) on your phone and add your dad!

Or add your .me account to it and turn everything off except find my iPhone!

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Except his dad doesn't have an iPhone. The point of the story in the first place!

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think the rep was just misinformed or making things up as he went.
    Even with family locator on Verizon you cannot track a phone after the fact unless you enable the feature on the phone prior.
    And the iphone is not a "family locator" capable phone either so not sure how he was planning on trying to track an iphone.

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

How did things turn out with your dad? Hope he's okay.

9. troop231 macrumors 603

Read the last sentence in the OP's original post. ;)

10. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

He's saying that the rep didn't know what he was talking about. It is illegal for them to track phones via triangulation unless they are working with law enforcement, etc. nothing on an iPhone that allows it to be easier to track then any other smart phone. As is the case with most carrier reps, they have no clue what they are talking about 90% of the time.

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

What can I say....I got bored reading

12. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Fair enough :D

13. M87 macrumors 65816