Serious question: Making America Great Again

poloponies

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2010
How does one "Make America Great Again" while simultaneously screwing over substantial segments of Americans? Or being politically divisive? What is this "America" concept he's imagining because his reality sure as hell doesn't match it.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Because some people thought that having a Black President, legalized gay marriage, and abortion rights made america "worse".
FYI..Obama did not legalize gay marriage. In fact he was against gay marriage when he was elected. President Trump is the first president to be for gay marriage when he was elected.

Also MAGA is just a campaign slogan just like "Hope and Change".

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
FYI..Obama did not legalize gay marriage. In fact he was against gay marriage when he was elected. President Trump is the first president to be for gay marriage when he was elected.

#factsdontmatter ;)

(personally, I'm very happy that gay marriage finally got legalized, and I'm impressed how Obama's view changed, likely through the influence of his daughters)

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
#factsdontmatter ;)

(personally, I'm very happy that gay marriage finally got legalized, and I'm impressed how Obama's view changed, likely through the influence of his daughters)
Politicians shifting their "core beliefs" based on ever changing social winds and polling data is not impressive. At least it isn't impressive to me.

Reactions: jkcerda and tgara

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
For what Trump is aiming for refer to the height of war production during WWII and the day we won. For many Republicans it just doesn't get much better than that.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Politicians shifting their "core beliefs" based on ever changing social winds and polling data is not impressive. At least it isn't impressive to me.
Well you voted for the biggest flipper in history. Flipped all through his campaign and after. So it must not bother you that much.

Reactions: Eraserhead

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
How does one "Make America Great Again" while simultaneously screwing over substantial segments of Americans? Or being politically divisive? What is this "America" concept he's imagining because his reality sure as hell doesn't match it.
Make America Great Again, is nothing more than a slogan that appeals to personal preferences about what appeals to individuals hearing the message, this combined with a wide spectrum of hollow populace rhetoric. Based on where the U.S. is, it was a brilliant message to capture the sucker vote. Is that harsh? I don't know how anyone can hire a con man and expect any more than being conned. It's kind of like religion, staking your hopes and dreams on a fantasy. There is a high chance you'll be dissapointed.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Except the campaign is over (or should be) and he's still using it. So for him, it's his doctrine.

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
I think his vision of MAGA is taking us back to the 50's, where the husband would go to work at a factory screwing lugnuts all day with his tin lunch box and the wife would stay home in the kitchen where she belonged........ you know....... the "good ol' days", except illegal aliens have replaced blacks this time around.

Reactions: BarracksSi

tgara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Oh, I don't know. Positions can and should change based on new facts or circumstances. While I get core beliefs, adhering unwaveringly to a specific position in the face of changing circumstances is not helpful. You can see this with pragmatists like Trump. I'm ok with it.

Reactions: steve knight

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I think, simply, a lot of people have to "suck it up buttercup" and change careers from coal mining etc to something more forward thinking. That'd be stage 1 at least. Stage 2 would be a nicer platform, more levelled.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

The post you responded to did not say Obama legalized gay marriage. And Trump likes it/tolerates it big deal, that was already a done deal when he was elected. :)

poloponies

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2010

FYI, you don't really know what Trump is for/against. Predicting weather is far easier.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Oh, I don't know. Positions can and should change based on new facts or circumstances. While I get core beliefs, adhering unwaveringly to a specific position in the face of changing circumstances is not helpful. You can see this with pragmatists like Trump. I'm ok with it.
I'll counter that the only core beliefs that Trump has are those favorable to himself, for everything else he's a flag blowing in the wind seeking favor.

Reactions: TheHateMachine

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I think, simply, a lot of people have to "suck it up buttercup" and change careers from coal mining etc to something more forward thinking. That'd be stage 1 at least. Stage 2 would be a nicer platform, more levelled.
I say this tongue in cheek and with sarcasm but..

I thought Republicans were against hand outs - that people should be responsible for themselves. Shouldn't those that no longer work as coalminers train themselves and find work in another field?

/endsarcasm

Reactions: Eraserhead