Serious Reports of Starvation Induced Cannibalism in N. Korea

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AP_piano295, May 18, 2012.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005

I'm a humanitarian but I'm starting to think we should just stop aid and allow N. Korea to fall apart despite the massive humanitarian disaster this would cause. For the life of me I cannot understand how the people in this country continue to tolerate the situation.

Is it just national brain washing at an unprecedented level?
  2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Mar 22, 2010
    From the linked article ...

Story needs corroboration by more than a South Korean think tank.

Has the Red Cross or any international agency interviewed these defectors and gotten the same story?

It sounds like classic propaganda. So that needs to be ruled out IMO.
  3. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2012
    It shouldn't be a shock that cannibalism entails death penalty in NK. There are far stronger reasons to be critical to the regime, such as sending children to prison camp for thoughtcrime that someone else in the family committed.
  4. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    It isn't the first time these claims have been brought up:

And I'm not suggesting the execution of people practicing cannibalism is the problem. I'm saying an environment where people are practicing cannibalism to survive is about as nightmarish as you can get.
  5. NickZac macrumors 68000

Dec 11, 2010
    Considering they run active concentration/slave camps and the government takes and keeps anything of value, this isn't surprising. But rest assured, the people at the top are eating very well.
  6. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

Sep 7, 2008
    Palo Alto, CA
    One of the most interesting films I've seen on NK is the "Vice Guide" and it was shocking.

I don't know all the facts but from what I've learned is it seems like all their resources go towards the military and they're not unlike someone with a gun making demands "or else".
  7. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2012
    Part of the problem is brainwashing. Besides, the totalitarian, omniscient regime will punish a whole family if just one of the family-members even thinks of starting an uprising.
  8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

Mar 22, 2008
    On tenterhooks
    Why? They found Osama, and this guy's in plain sight?

You cut off the head of a chicken and it will just run about aimlessly.
  9. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    Maybe, I honestly just don't understand the mindset of the N. Korean people (and I mean all of them the citizens, the military, the leadership). Seems like the whole country might just be nuts.
  10. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

Feb 11, 2010
    Watch the National Geographic video "Inside North Korea". This is the pervasive fear that grips anyone living in a totalitarian state. The people aren't "nuts", they are trying to survive, trying to keep their families alive and together. Who knows who is really crying and who is pretending when the Great Leader dies? The Soviet Union under Stalin, China under Mao-- it could happen anywhere.

It wasn't so long ago that the Deutsche Demokratische Republik operated the same way. The film "The Lives of Others" is a startling introduction for those unfamiliar with the history:
  11. NickZac macrumors 68000

Dec 11, 2010
    In North Korea, any attempt to do something the government doesnt want you to do winds up in one of two things. 1) you go to a concentration camp where you eventually die, or 2) they kill you. The society is so strongly bound by fear that neighbors report on each other's activities to the government. While not as extreme, the same fear is also found in Cuba. The repression is so strong and the government is so strict that uprising cannot happen. The lack of modern communication makes this even more difficult. They also make sure no one escapes to talk about what happens on the inside.
  12. Heilage macrumors 68030

May 1, 2009
    Some do escape. I saw an interview with a defected soldier once, who told a story from an internment camp he worked at where a woman was raped by a spade(!) by a group of guards. I'm pretty sure she died, and I don't think the defected soldier ever was the same after seeing that either.
  13. VulchR macrumors 68020

Jun 8, 2009
    The UK under the Tories...
  14. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    I know it could happen anywhere that's part of what upsets me about the human condition. For the life of me I cannot understand how people behave like this and/or allow this stuff to happen (same with Nazi Germany for example).

And in my eyes it is some type of mass insanity when a system reaches this point. Because for it to reach that point a-lot of people need to follow really bad orders for a long time and somehow people don't look at what they're doing and say "this needs to stop".

It simply amazes me...