Seriously considering a handgun...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yellow, Jul 8, 2008.

?

Handgun ownership.. your thoughts?

1. Yes, I own a handgun (or handguns).

54 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. I used to have a handgun but got rid of it.

7 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. I've always wanted to own a handgun, but don't currently have one.

68 vote(s)
    25.8%
  4. No, I have never owned a handgun. No interest, really.

56 vote(s)
    21.2%
  5. Hell no.. Handguns are just dangerous!

21 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. I vehemently object to handgun ownership.

59 vote(s)
    22.3%
  7. Other (please explain)

8 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I live in the US. Handguns are cheap and plentiful.
    For as long as I can rememeber I have been fascinated by firearms. Yes, I was that little boy that drew guns on everything.
    As if Godzilla really needs guns on his head, arms, and tail. :rolleyes:
    But I've never owned any firearms. I've shot some handguns, some assault weapons, and a shotgun a few times, but have never actually owned a firearm of any type. Sounds strange for someone who knows quite a bit about them. But there it is. I freely admit, I really liked shooting. It's quite challenging and of course has a hint of danger. But the obvious concerns kept me away from purchasing any. Now for some reason.. my thoughts have changed and I am seriously considering purchasing a handgun. There's been no "event" that caused me to change my mind. I just.. changed my mind. Ostensibly, it's for home protection, but I'm more inclined to want to fire it at a range.
    We have no kids, so safety concerns of that sort is not an issue.

So, do you own a handgun*? Why or why not?
    Was your mind changed one way or the other about ownership? Why?

There's certainly a lot to weigh here and I'd like to hear as much feedback as possible.

Thanks.

*: Handguns only please.
    I understand that it's good protection when hunting in areas with large, dangerous animals (bears, pumas, boars, iPhone Forum Users, etc), but let's face it. No one is going out to hunt primarily with a handgun.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Unless you spend some time in the iPhone forums. ;)

3. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

LOL! OK, exception noted. :)

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

A friend of mine was going to get one after the chaos he saw in New Orleans and the collapse of law and order. But he has kids now and AFAIK he went against it.

Another friend of mine moved in to a very bad neighborhood when we moved to NC, and he didn't realize how bad it was until someone tried to force their way into his home. He did get one (and a shotgun). They have no kids, so they didn't have that concern.

If it is legal, and you learn how to use it, and you don't have children coming around where they can hurt themselves, then it might be a bad idea.

Then again, what do I know. :D

5. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

The only reason I'd consider one would be to protect myself from the government...

6. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

Heh. Durham or Charlotte?

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Go for it.

Just make sure you keep it locked in a gun safe or whatever when you're not using it.

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I think Charlotte. It was supposed to be a "rebounding" neighborhood, but turned out it had a LONG way to go still. They moved out, but last time I spoke to him they were still trying to unload the house.

9. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yeah, both cities are on either end of the prime conduit through NC from Atlanta (I-85) heading north to DC. Consequently & sadly there are a lot of drug & crime problems in both places.

10. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I've been around long guns all my life so there is no mystery to them. I wasn't until I was a late teen that I fired my first handgun, I don't like them as much as long guns.

I do want one for the home though. The problem is that my nephew has never been around guns before and he lives in the same house. I've decided that until my sister teaches him about real guns that I will avoid buying one.

I would also like one in my truck for protection but there are rules against that, plus many customers clearly prohibit weapons on their property.

11. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im planning on getting my ccw in the near future

i believe gun ownership is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT and this applies to handguns as well in my opinion

i honestly dont understand those
    1)that dont believe in having guns
    2)have never fired a weapon at all
    3)object to those that see the importance

i use my handgun currently for range practice
    also use my rifles for same purpose

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

While I don't particularly object to handgun ownership (unless there are kids in the house), your timing is quite coincidental with this news story I just read: Surprising fact: Half of gun deaths are suicides. ...An interesting article, with pretty surprising facts, in my opinion. That said, in no way am I trying to discourage you from purchasing a gun, just encouraging you to be an informed and conscious gun owner.

If you want one, go ahead and buy one. Just be careful. :)

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

so why do you believe it's so extremely important?

15. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

I sorely wish the (as of now) overwhelming majority of those who voted "I vehemently object to handgun ownership." would state why.
    Silent majorities don't work so well for me.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

1) its a right and should be exercised. just like the right to vote and should be exercised
    2) if a situation arose which you needed to use a firearm, handgun or not, it is well worth it to be able to use it and use it confidently
    3) knowledge on the proper use of firearms is key. id much rather have someone trained in the use as well as mindset over someone who has never touched a weapon before who would be more apt to not think clear in a situation (if forced to use a weapon)
    4) you never know what the future holds to put it simply

these are just some of my thoughts on the matter

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've fired weapons before, rifles on ranges and in the countryside in New Zealand. And I'm still against the idea of handguns in the hands of the general populace... but that's my opinion, and I've never lived in the US so I'm just accustomed to the laws of the countries I've grown up in.

However, the idea that a handgun is going to protect anyone against the government is hilarious. If they're after you, for god knows whatever reason, I think you'll need a hell of a lot more than a handgun.

I think if people are permitted by law to possess guns and if someone genuinely asks about what gun they should get, how to look after it etc. then I believe people should respect that and try to engage in the conversation in a constructive way. It's not my kind of thing, but if it's legal where you live, then go for it with all the usual precautions etc. It would worry the crap out of me but I'm not the one being asked to keep it in my house or on my person.

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

They're called rights because we have the option, not because we have to. If that weren't the case, they wouldn't be rights. ;)

19. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'd like to get one eventually, but I know that my wife and I are split on the issue of having one, especially with a tyke in the house. Also, I know how accurate I am with a rifle, and I know how accurate I am not with a handgun (at least from a good distance).

Even if the spousal differences are resolved, I'll likely refrain until I feel more qualified.

In the interest of disclosure, I voted Other, as I most closely align with the "I would like one" group, but know my skills are not where I want them to be.

20. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

"Just like". It's nothing like. Even then, who are you to say that someone should excessive their right to vote. It's their right to vote if they want to.

We have rights to do all kinds of things, it doesn't mean we should do them. You're more than welcome to, it's your right. It's other people's right not to.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i believe training in the use of weapons is more important than the weapon itself. same can be said with self defense. you will aprreciate having the skill if you ever NEED to use. would i hope to use it....not at all but having the confidence to use it when you need it would be worth it for me

i agree with what you say that its thier choice. would i prefer if they exercised it ...yeah but thats my opinion

just how i wish everyone took an active role in politics and let their voice be heard through voting. to not care about rights that are given to you is unfortunate in my opinion

i would also love to see everyone have training on weapons. its not practical in this day and age but it would ensure greater respect for weapons to the individuals who did purchase them

please tell me why you oppose handgun ownership?

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I live in a country where normal people don't carry guns so I don't find the need for one, so I'm against having one.
    I don't know what I'd do if I lived in the US though. I don't want a gun, I don't want to "go for range practice" or whatever excuses they come up with. I'd get one and a crash course in how to use it and then lock it away until it needed using.

They're serious killing devices and should only ever be used in self defence if it's the last resort and not for showing off, for toying around with etc.

23. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I own several handguns.

I have ruger 22 for target practice and all around plinking

I have a 44 mag ruger redhawk that I got primarily to use for backpaking when I lived in the rockies...

a 44 LC "cowboy" gun that I have becasue Ive always wanted a cowboy gun.

I have a few others laying around, some are milsurp collectables that I got when I was more into collecting guns than I am now.

These days I rarely get to shoot them, so for the most part they are all locked in the safe. Someday soon Ill probably get around to selling most of them. Its expensive to shoot these days, and I rarely have the time anyway.

Let us know what you get.

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Well, I live in the UK and if I went around carrying a handgun, I'd be looking at a prison sentence. Fortunately, guns here are still pretty rare; I don't like the idea of anyone just being able to lay their hands on one. There are too many idiots out there.

I've been attacked before. In all cases, a gun would not have helped unless I'd been carrying it, loaded. Anyway, each to their own.

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

does the uk not have a ccw type license?

yea i believe most times when you are attacked, knowing basic martial arts defense will help you out greater. but the call to use a handgun or not during a situation i feel is the best part that training can help you with imo