Seriously.. is there some way to get finder to search everywhere all the time?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sinistersai4d, Nov 20, 2007.

1. sinistersai4d macrumors member

sinistersai4d

I know how to use command find and tell it to search the system files.. but i want the old finder back.. probably my only complaint about leopard..

If this is futile I'll delete this thread.

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Wow, I dont think I have heard anyone say they want the old finder back! lol

but there is no way to add the tiger finder to leopard if that is what you are asking! :)

3. sinistersai4d thread starter macrumors member

sinistersai4d

not the old finder.. really.. But i want it to search system files and all the files.. i don't want to have to constantly tell it to search system files.

4. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

the old spotlight was way better it was also better at showing results. It seems like spotlight went backwards.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I know there's a way to tell it to search system files as well but I can't remember how. Search the forums, there is a thread about it.

OT: I disagree. I hated the way Tiger's Spotlight (Cmd+Option+Space) worked. Leopard's is a lot more logical.

6. haiggy macrumors 65816

... Tiger's spotlight was Command+Space just like Leopard is. I miss having the system wide search as well - mainly to do with searching for preference files and other things to modify/edit :(

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Open a Finder window. Select the hard drive from the sidebar. Type plist into the search window. The window displays the search options. Select "File name". All plist files on the hard drive, including in Folders not listed in the Spotlight Preferences, are listed. Add multiple search terms, e.g. Created Date is in last 7 days.

Leopard's spotlight is so much better than Tiger's I use it all the time not just for searching but for launching programs. It's incredibly fast.

8. sinistersai4d thread starter macrumors member

sinistersai4d

exactly... now you gotta open a find window.. hit Command + F..

Change the "Kind" box to "System Files" than change the "Do not include" box to "include"

Here's what i did to make it suck less.. i made a smart search thingy...

1) open finder.. hit command + F... change "kind" to "system" and "Do not include" to "Include"

[​IMG]

2) Then save this search...

[​IMG]

3) That adds it to your sidebar..

[​IMG]

4) I guess you can tell your finder (in finder preferences general tab) to always open in that saved smart search mode..

[​IMG]

This makes it suck less i guess...

edit- doesn't seem to work if you tell it to always open as the smart search.. don't know why.. but no finder pops open when I click it in the dock. Whatever.. at least its in the side bar.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I know. Cmd+Option+Space opened a window and I never used it (a lot of people miss it). Leopards Spotlight is just plain better since when use use Cmd+Space and hit enter the top hit opens (no more having to use Cmd+Enter) and it can do advanced boolean searches (finally!). And they got rid of the bloody stupid Cmd+Option+Space Spotlight Window.

10. sinistersai4d thread starter macrumors member

sinistersai4d

^whats all that command space option **** mean.... whats it supposed to do?

[/n00b]

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you never did it in Tiger it's hard to explain. It basically would open a Spotlight search window (wasn't in Finder) that let you include/exclude from a list on the right hand side and was organized by type.

Ahh, here's a picture:

[​IMG]
    ^ Total garbage compared to Leopard's Spotlight in Finder.

12. sinistersai4d thread starter macrumors member

sinistersai4d

^ok cool.. so how do i activate that in Tiger? (still have an emac running tiger)

and is there anything similar in Leopard.. just wanna play around with it.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Cmd+Option+Space in Tiger = opens Spotlight Search Window

Cmd+Option+Space in Leopard = opens Finder Spotlight Search Window V

Attached Files:

14. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

and so did I (back to 10.4.11 now).

15. sinistersai4d thread starter macrumors member

sinistersai4d

oh.. thanks Quarter

its basically just like hitting Command + F in the finder.

Either way.. still ****** that you have to jump through hoops to search system files.

16. live4ever macrumors 6502a

With the Finder search in Leopard can you finally sort your search results like you can in a regular Finder window (in list view)? For example you search for all PDFs in your Documents folder then can you click on the column headings to sort by name, size, date created, label status etc.

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yeah, Apple's philosophy has always been, at least with OS X, that you shouldn't be poking about with the System folder. It really doesn't surprise me that they make it a pain to search.

Normally I don't need to search the System folder. Too bad they don't at least add the option of searching it.

That's part of why it's immensely better.