Seriously, stop lying to yourselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
it's a freakin' iPod Touch....that's it.

i keep reading people trying to justify why they are going to get one of these iPads and why it's going to fill a "needed" gap in the mobile market. just stop it. you all sound like people in denial. it's just a larger iPod Touch. aside from the screen being larger, there is nothing different.

this is not just a FAIL on Apple's part....it's an EPIC FAIL.

the ONLY, ONLY, OOOOONLY reason this iPad was created was because the print media market saw what Apple did with the music industry, iTunes and iPods.....so they wanted the same thing. they wanted Apple to "save" their business models by creating a devise/gimmick to save them. so, apple just took their best selling device, the iPod Touch and made it larger to accommodate ebooks....opened an "ibookstore" and threw out some catchy words (magical, revolutionary, blah, blah...) to the common folk.

Apple wasn't trying to develop anything revolutionary. they were just trying to catch lightning in a bottle the lazy way by riding the coattails of the iPod cash model.

so please, stop lying to yourselves. this iPad is just an iPod Touch. it does nothing different....just the same on a 10" screen. stop buying the hype, you look and sound silly.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Epic Fail for you.

Win for me. Everything that needs to be done on the one we will be buying - is currently being done on a Touch, we just wish for the larger screen space.

Epic WIN for my house :D

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
There are naysayers for almost every Apple product that comes out, time will tell if this becomes another iPod or a G4 Cube. Seems to me it would behoove a lot of people to reserve judgment and wait to see what happens.

To be clear I'm not saying don't discuss it, or critique it, but this sort of lashing out seems unnecessary.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

i keep reading people trying to justify why they are going to get one of these iPads and why it's going to fill a "needed" gap in the mobile market. just stop it. you all sound like people in denial. it's just a larger iPod Touch. aside from the screen being larger, there is nothing different.

the ONLY, ONLY, OOOOONLY reason this iPad was created was because the print media market saw what Apple did with the music industry, iTunes and iPods.....so they wanted the same thing. they wanted Apple to "save" their business models by creating a devise/gimmick to save them. so, apple just took their best selling device, the iPod Touch and made it larger to accommodate ebooks....opened an "ibookstore" and threw out some catchy words (magical, revolutionary, blah, blah...) to the common folk.

Apple wasn't trying to develop anything revolutionary. they were just trying to catch lightning in a bottle the lazy way by riding the coattails of the iPod cash model.

so please, stop lying to yourselves. this iPad is just an iPod Touch. it does nothing different....just the same on a 10" screen. stop buying the hype, you look and sound silly.
I can see several things that make it differ from an iPod touch tbh. For me it's ideal for my kids.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
There are naysayers for almost every Apple product that comes out, time will tell if this becomes another iPod or a G4 Cube. Seems to me it would behoove a lot of people to reserve judgment and wait to see what happens.

To be clear I'm not saying don't discuss it, or critique it, but this sort of lashing out seems unnecessary.
Agreed. Time will tell. I am looking forward to seeing one in person. I wonder when the stores will get them.

marcopolo007uk

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
It will replace my Netbook for any light emails/browsing/blogging. (Which is all I use my Netbook for)

It looks more comfortable than using my iPhone for the above tasks, which I sometimes use due to netbook boot up time.

Each to their own... I think it will fit into my life.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
SoCal
I have been one of the disappointed people here. I wanted it to be a slimmed down version of OSX instead of a scaled up version of iPhone OS. Sure under the hood they are the same but the UI don't impress me that much. I would have liked a little multitasking so that I can have two apps open at the same time; able to add more then 4 items to the task bar, etc...

That being said, yesterday afternoon I went to my son's TKD studio. There, the master and his wife were looking forward to this. Anyway; when I arrived they were all excited and almost everyone there wants one! The master (being a very smart guy) wants one, but is one of the few who said he will wait and see before buying one. But all the other people want one and want it now.

I'm guessing the market is not the hardcore computer users / fans, but the mass market. None of the parents there yesterday I would consider hardcore people, many barely even use the computer.

I am guessing this is no mistake; Apple knows their market, they know how to make money. There are many more people who don't need a hard computer for day to day use, and this will fit their needs. In my quick poll of the 10ish people there, 2 (myself and the master) aren't buying right now, 2 were unaware of the product, and then there are 6 who are excited about it and want it ASAP. From a sales point of view, they lost two sales but picked up six, that is where you want to be I guess. I hope it all works out well for them.

And yes, someday I MIGHT get one... maybe v2. . . . then again, maybe not.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit

The print media isn't in as much need of saving as the music industry. The music industry was pushing archaic business models of trudging through the snow to pick up a physical item simply to listen to music when the infrastructure was in place to deliver music instantly. The publishing industry OTOH has a successful business model with electronic distribution making only a small dent. There are thousands of book stores but only a handful of music stores. People still like books. The Kindle, Nook and Sony Reader are nice but they are still gimmick gadgets. For e-publishing to take off, the delivery has to not suck. Also the gadget that delivers books can't be "yet another thing" to carry around. By bundling ebooks with the world's most successful music platform, Apple is finally offering them on a viable platform.

I'm disappointed that there was no mention of replacing college texts in yesterday's demo. I bet the negotiations got stalled. Once college texts can be "rented" on the iPad, I know my son will be getting one. His books cost close to $1k just for one semester.

There is something to what you are saying about print media, but it is true for periodicals not books. Newspapers and magazines indeed need saving and the iPad will help them.

One of the things I like most about my iPod Touch is Kindle. One of the things I like least is the small screen for reading books. I hope the iPad version of Kindle ships soon because that would seal the deal for me. I would already own a library of books to read on the iPad.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
Yeah I agree it just looks pathetically put together. It's as if they never had aspirations of designing a tablet until about 3-4 months ago. Then they stick an existing OS on it and the icons do look tiny. I'll wait to actually see it in person and play around with it, but as of now I don't have any interest or see any real purpose for it.

I mean, it's not portable like an iPod Touch or iPhone, so it's not going to be used for gaming, email, etc on the go. I don't see how an LCD screen is going to replace E-Ink ebook readers, I'm not keen on having to stare at an LCD screen even more in my life to read a book. I'd prefer the kindle, again as of now until I see it in person. A kindle is much more portable also, imo.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I'm sorry but you have to buy one it's the new rules.

If you keep posting like this you have to buy 2

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada
Stop calling things a fail. It makes you look like an idiot. But I guess thats fine because thats probably what you are.

I'm sorry you have no need for Apples new product. I hear there are a lot of other tablet computers coming out. Maybe one of those fit your need. Or maybe its a good time for you to sell you Apple stock and invest it in something different, like Microsoft, if you're that put off by this machine. This tablet wasn't designed to be a laptop, its really too bad you overhyped yourself for one.

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
At the end of the day all you can is form your own opinion, everyone is going to have a different view on it, some will secretly dislike it but will defend it because they feel loyal to Apple and anything they do. Some will geniunely love it and have a need for it.... the point is going back and forth and assuming everyone feels the same way you do about it pretty pointless.

That being said I am in the same boat as you, I feel this is a total piece of crap and Apple should be laughed at for making an oversized iPod touch and trying to pass it off as a new "magical" product lol. In my eyes they look really stupid right now, BUT i'm willing to bet this thing sells well and they make a ton of money from it. I definitely will not be buying it since i find it pretty stupid and have no need for it since I have an iPhone and a MBP.... but the guy standing next to me might have his credit card out already.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
The print media isn't in as much need of saving as the music industry.
As somebody that works in the Print media, I think I can safely say "you are out of your mind". The print industry in this country is dying a fast death. Nobody reads newspapers or magazines anymore. Everybody goes to the internet and gets their news for free.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
I can see several things that make it differ from an iPod touch tbh. For me it's ideal for my kids.
How old are your kids and why do you think it's ideal? I'm interested because I don't have kids yet and I'm thinking of the iPad along those lines

I'm disappointed that there was no mention of replacing college texts in yesterday's demo. I bet the negotiations got stalled. Once college texts can be "rented" on the iPad, I know my son will be getting one. His books cost close to $1k just for one semester.
I feel the iPad has a long way to go before it takes the place of physical textbooks, especially for students of certain disciplines. I was a psychology major and I'll be entering law school next year and I highlight and write notes all of my books. If perhaps there was a stylus to write physical notes, and perhaps and app that would let you actually insert pages of notes into the textbook, where you could see your actual notes by page, or if you like, completely separate from your textbook, then I would say this would be great. Even without this, it would be nice to have all your books in one place so you wouldn't have to lug around textbooks; however, in college I found that students rarely need their textbooks for classes.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
I have been one of the disappointed people here. I wanted it to be a slimmed down version of OSX instead of a scaled up version of iPhone

QFT!!! That's exactly what I expected.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
but the guy standing next to me might have his credit card out already.
yep i'm the next guy, but no where to swipe my Plastic:D

i have a 1st gen Mac Book Air that this will replace for internet/youtube/ Mail/photo/movie playback and iTunes - job done

but hey that's just me what will be happy - not the OP :p

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Just because you don't need it doesn't mean no one else does...

Much like yourself, I have no need for this. I own a MBP and an iPhone. But my wife on the other hand; she's big on web browsing, e-mail, YouTube, and photos, but that's about it. Buying another MBP for her would be a complete waste since she won't use 80% of what the MBP can do. The iPhone does what she needs but it's just too small for everyday use. We've looked at Netbooks but they're too cheap and flimsy. Unknown to my wife and I until now, but my wife fits perfectly in Apple's third product category.

bobob

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2008
Watch for the OP to be raving like a delirious fanboy in later this year when he's had his first iPad for a couple of months...

;)

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I can't get over the amount of people that actually thought that the tablet would be MORE than exactly what was released. If you know how Apple works, they always ADD more revenue channels that DO NOT cannibalize any of their existing revenue streams, and you should have seen a "big iPod touch" coming. They purposely didn't make it with a full blown desktop OSX, USB ports, SD card slots, etc because that would have stolen sales away from their laptop lines. Why would people who barely need a basic Macbook buy the Macbook if they could get what they wanted in a cheaper tablet? Now, instead, they will just find a way to spend more and get the Macbook. People who want iPod Touch features, but want a larger screen, can now spend more and get it. People who want iPod Touch features but also true portability can buy a Touch. People who want all those features but also want it to be able to make phone calls can get an iPhone. People WANT Apple products, for whatever reason. Apple knows this, so they can get away with doing exactly what they are doing. And they won't change UNTIL their sales and revenue numbers drop, which they obviously aren't yet. Apple will never introduce a product that cuts sale of another one of their products on purpose, like the PC manufacturers have done with the stupid netbooks. "Hey, lets offer a tiny laptop that does 99% of what our big, money making models do, for less than a third of the cost of those big models!" And they wonder why their full sized laptop (the one's that they actually make a decent profit on) sales are crap? Apple's a business, and they know exactly what they are doing.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
There are always those who love to hate and those who blindly love... just the way it goes. Even though the OP's tone is very crass, I do generally agree with him. I also agree with those who said it is just another vehicle to the itunes/ibook/app store... This device can NOT be used without an additional computer - it can not be your only computer. I know I'm not saying anything that ya'll don't already know, just thinking out loud. I can't help but think that if the ipad DOES do well sales wise, that it may grow into it's own and become much much more than what it is now... kind of like if you compare the usefulness of the iphone June 2007 vs. the iphone now. I guess only time will tell - but for Apple to say it is the WHOLE internet is a lie. Say what you will about flash, it is there and used. In Steve's keynote yesterday when he went to the New York Times page, there was a HUGE flash section that just showed the blue box - I could not stop laughing. Apple needs to get over it and provide some kind of flash support.

Status
Not open for further replies.