Seriously, what is difference between Ted Cruz and Pres Obama???

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Mar 28, 2015.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Serious question, no joke:

Obama was born to an American mother and Kenyan father.
    There was years of challenges he was really born overseas and not in Hawaii (thus not eligible to be POTUS)

Cruz was born to an American mother and Cuban father.
    There is NO DOUBT he was born in Canada.

I have barely heard any constitutional challenge to his legitimacy.

Is this exactly what I think it is??

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

mmMaybe.

But I can't remember if those questions about Obama started this early in the election cycle. If Cruz becomes the front runner you'll probably hear more questions like this.

3. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

4. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I think it was because everyone accepted he was Hawaiian born.
    As he came up in poles then someone suggested he was not Hawaiian born, and it took off.

----------

IOW he had a chance in Hell ;)

5. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

As opposed to Senator Ted Cruz?

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Cruz even has a pastor problem too. Plus he's an Ivy League-elitist, has only two years in the Senate, never ran a business, acts like a rock star/celebrity, and has a huge ego.

I'm sure none of that will bother his worshipping supporters. Plus, when this is all over, Cruz will have a very valuable mailing list he can use to hawk fake diabetes cures, gold investments, bunker supplies, and Rascal scooters paid for by the gubmint.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Someday Obama will be a former President.

Cruz will not.

8. zin Suspended

Cruz was born to an American citizen, his mother. This is enough to make him eligible for "natural-born" status under U.S. law.

It is very similar to Obama's situation in which he was born to his American mother, thus inheriting her citizenship and making him a "natural-born" citizen.

Strangely, despite the similarities between the cases and with Cruz being physically born in Canada and Obama in the U.S., there doesn't seem to be as much attention paid to Cruz as opposed to Obama on the issue.

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Im sure it has nothing to do with religion or race though.

Is it strange I mentioned that completely unprovoked?

10. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

Have you even Googled "ted cruz canadian"?

Lots of stuff there given that he just declared his candidacy a week ago.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't think Obama was questioned this early in the campaign cycle by the right, but with threads like this it appears the left will have no issue bringing up the fact that he was born in Canada this early for this election.

Pot and the kettle.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think it'll mostly be by people who don't really care, but want to bring it up to point out hypocrisy among Cruz supporters.

13. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

The question was raised during Obama's first campaign bid. Given that it was never an issue before for past potentials and POTUSs, as silly as it is, it's a viable question to ask why it was an issue for some portions of the GOP before but not an issue for them now.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think you're fishing for a pot, kettle, black.

This fake issue has dogged Obama his entire presidency. So of course the Left is primed to fire it right back at Republicans—especially since Cruz's origins seem as comparably questionable as Obama's. We've had to listen to it coming from the Right incessantly for over six years. So pardon us if we didn't wait until a certain date (is there date?) to ask it of you.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The fact he was born in Canada doesn't bother me. His mother was a US citizen and that's all that matters to me. The fact that the same right wing blowhards who brought up questions about Obama's birth are silent now that their poster boy is running bothers the hell out of me.

However, you can't even compare Obama's and Cruz's situation. Obama was born in the US. There wasn't ever any evidence stating otherwise, just poorly photoshopped Kenyan birth certificates. Anyone capable of rubbing two brain cells together to form a rational thought knew he was born in the US. On the other hand, Cruz was born in Canada. There is no denying that at all, and the US Constitution is not clear on what a natural born citizen is. I think "the left" can question Cruz's eligibility to be president without being hypocrites.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

really this was just another way for the far right to try to get rid of a black president. cruz is their ideal so why would they question him? a black president brought h=out the worst in the bigiots and cruz would too if he was a democrat.

17. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well one difference is that Cruz seemed to have flunked basic history. Thinking that Galileo's achievement and cause of condemnation by the Church was to declare the world to be round.

18. pdjudd macrumors 601

Well that was what I thought. Out of sheer vagueness and lack of knowledge, I felt that Cruz might have some issues having been born in Canada but I wasn’t sure. None of these issues existed to me regarding Obama since he was actually born in the US. But I of course default considered that more than likely not he was eligible. Guys like Cruz rarely would engage in any presidential exploration operation without first addressing the eligibility issues right off the bat. If he didn’t do that, he knows that it would make him look really foolish and loose creditability with voters fast.

However, any doubt was resolved by looking at case history and any dual citizen issues were resolved when Cruz renounced that. It simplifies things since he was born to an American (his mother). Now that of course doesn’t mean that he would be a good president (I think he would be terrible), but he could run.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

if someone wants to cross check his records to make sure he is eligible then I say that he should provide whatever documentation they are seeking.

The only ones who carried on about Obama after the birth cert was provided were the conspiracy theorists.

If the GOP runs a nut bag I'll likely vote blue this run as long as it's not Hillary.

20. pdjudd macrumors 601

The most that people have asked about Cruz was due to him actually being born in Canada with possible dual citizen claims. And most people out there (even in the D camp) have stated that is probably not a big deal. The whole dual citizen thing was made moot last year or so anyhow. There isn’t any big argument being made like it was by Obama - lots of people were arguing about him being born in Kenya and the like. Most of it went away when it was clear arguments like these were more about race and after Obama released his birth certificate the first time. It was insane right from the word go.

The amount of people talking about Cruz’s citizenship is way lower and was centered more around confusion about his location of his birth (which was actually in another country) combined with a dual citizen argument. Most people even last election term were not worried about Cruz being eligible stating that if anything, he might need to formally renounce any claim to Canadian citizenship (something that did not apply to Obama) but he may not even need to do that. The only attention Cruz’s citizenship gets is a few attention getting articles and maybe a 2 minute discussion on MSNBC by a pundit and even then it’s not looked at with any real seriousness. Part of the reason nobody cares is that he isn’t really seen as a serious candidate.

21. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I do not think that is strange at all.

Perhaps WE do not think that is strange at all.

22. samiwas macrumors 68000

Uhhh...so, do people just sit around and wait until the "right time"? And I'm pretty sure that so far there have been no formal investigations into Cruz's birth history, no major websites set up to disprove his ability to be President, no 24-hour news cycles dedicated to talking about it. It's not like there's some radical left-wing campaign to discredit him already.

But here's the difference: we know Cruz was born outside the United States, and it's unclear whether this creates an issue. No amount of proof was enough for the Obama deniers. They called every single document provided fake. There's a little bit of difference going on here.

23. Robisan macrumors 6502

There's something different about Obama. Can't quite put my finger on it. Thinking, thinking....

24. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

No
    It is accepted and acknowledged by all Cruz was born in Canada.

With Obama there was massive effort to say he was not born in USA.

The difference seems to be a chasm between the two.
    Next you will see "If Obama can be president, then anyone can be president, even Schwarzenegger! Time we have another movie star in office!"