Seriously what's the deal with Leopard and Airport dropouts?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by daneoni, Oct 4, 2008.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

One thing preventing me from FULLY adopting Leopard is the fact that i can't seem to maintain a steady Airport connection. I've done everything i can including router reset, OS reinstall, software updates, firmware updates, a plethora of suggested fixes and still no dice.

I know its Leopard because all other systems in my house running XP, Vista, Tiger, OS X Mobile connect just fine to the same router, in fact i'm dual booting Leopard/Tiger on my iMac and when i load the Tiger partition it works fine but when i load Leopard...

What is going on?

PS i'm running an AEBS and yes my channel is interference free

2. smogsy macrumors 6502a

3. dawnraid macrumors regular

in my macbook i used to have tiger, i remember going to 10.4.11 or something and that skrewed my wifi up and a whole bunch of other peoples aswell, leopard didnt fix it, but 10.5.5 did, i havnt had a dropout once since installing that. however my other macbook still has problems with dropouts so idk

4. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Maybe try iStumbler to see if other routers near you are on the same channel. I picked a channel that is as far away as possible from other routers.

5. econoline06 macrumors 6502

econoline06

Sorry I cannot provide a "solution", but I have never had wifi problems with Leopard or Tiger for that matter. I'm not sure what could be causing your issues, but at this point I'm doubting it is Leopard causing the problem. Of course without a large sample set we cannot truly determine if a significant number of people are having the issue, I don't mean to marginalize your problems. I understand that any problem is frustrating. :(

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I've had no problems on three different Macs running Leopard. The consensus seems to be that Leopard is fine.

I'm inclined to say it's a hardware problem if you've tried all that and nothing works.

I did have a problem with wireless with WPA on my iMac, connecting to a Netgear router - I was getting 20% packet loss just pinging the router. This meant my download speed was 1/3 of what it should be. Two other Macs and a PC had no such problems.

This meant there was probably a hardware issue with my iMac, that no software update fixed.

But this cleared up when I swapped out my Netgear for an AEBS.

7. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I think its safe to say its Leopard because running Tiger on the same machine works fine and my other laptops running Tiger, XP, Vista work fine

I very much doubt its a hardware issue because the problem only started/starts when using Leopard. Using any other OS on the same machine works without hassle

8. smogsy macrumors 6502a

maybe Certain Hardware with OSX 10.5 causing conflicts & causing Dropping out any way of trying a different router to take that out of the things that could be wrong. im using Belkin N1 Vision and its been fine.

9. Adekyn macrumors newbie

Leopard 10.5.5 causing issue with older MBPro Airport

OK, I've been nailed by this "sudden browser slowness" too. It began for me on evening (~7:00 PM CST) of September, 30th.

I'm running Version 10.5.5, and have been since the public release.

Like most others, I'm sure, I assumed that it was my ISP or router. I recycled both which did not cure the problem. I cycled my MacBook Pro as well... no dice. The problem has been persistent and affects both Safari and FireFox (v3.0.3). I have a second MacBook Pro that I use for work, so I fired it up and hit my Wierless (D-Link); it was working correctly.

I managed to dig up an ethernet cable and jacked my "poorly performing" MBPro into the router... it was lighting fast. I belive there is an issue with the AirPort card and the new 10.5.5 release.

My personal MBPro (the afflicted unit) is approximately 1 year older than my work MBPro, which works correctly on the same network/router.

My "afflicted" MBPro info:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 3 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP22.00A5.B07
    SMC Version: 1.12f5
    Serial Number: W870515KW0H
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled
    AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x87)
    Wireless Card Locale: USA
    Wireless Card Firmware Version: 1.4.4
    Current Wireless Network: AirPort is currently turned off

----

My "working" MBPro:

Hardware Overview:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B00
    SMC Version: 1.27f1
    Serial Number: W881130FYJZ
    Sudden Motion Sensor
    State: Enabled

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8C)
    Wireless Card Locale: USA
    Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.46.11)

10. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

try emptying SystemConfiguration folder. And people, yes, theres a software problem with airport indeed (the strange is that it isnt true for every user). Updating my tiger copy to 10.4.11 just ruined my wireless (dropouts all the time). So, one day, i found a guide on how to revert my wireless settings to the 10.4.9 version, which worked like a charm :) also, i changed from WPA to WEP (lower encryption = better signal + faster data rate), and please people dont start saying that WEP isnt secure, coz i got no "hackers" in my block, and trust me, WPA can be hacked as easy. So, to the thread starter again, i still have a copy of that file i found of the guide, along with a text file for the terminal code. Im running leopard atm with no problems so far, so i never tried to use that file in leopard, so im not sure if it works (but it should, i think). Anyway good luck with this its been a huge pain in the ass for me and im happy that i got it fixed. -1 to apple for this one

11. durija macrumors 6502

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Would be nice if Apple fixes it, but still might be a finger pointing with Apple saying the router needs to be updated for security.

13. caluko macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem. The Intel G5 is 1 metre from AE and drops out frequently.
    The Power PC G5 is 20 metres away, and its connection is rock solid.
    Both are running 10.5.5.
    If I boot in Safe Mode, there is no dropout whatsoever??

14. jzakariasen macrumors newbie

Leopard is not Fine!!!

Back in April of 2008 I bought a MacPro. At the time I had a Belkin Pre-N Router. I experienced a problem with frequent dropouts even though the PCs on the nextwork worked just fine. Thinking that my router was just too old I went out and bought a Apple Time Machine wireless router. It made no difference at all, I still had the dropouts. Signal strength is just fine but the internet connection would go dead, especially when downloading loading several minutes of video. In frustration I just connected this computer to the Time Machine directly with a cable.

A few months later I bought a MacBook Pro and guess what, the same problem occurs. With the MBPro the drop outs are much more frequent, but again the notebook still has a solid connection but for whatever reason loses its connection with the internet.

I have tried many different channels to no avail. I even replaced all the cordless phones in my house to the new 6 ghertz digital model. Again no fix was obtained. Since all my pc's work just fine on the wireless network I am inclined to believe the problem is with the software, or the Airport Card. I think the software is the most likely problem. Perhaps it is a software conflict with another application. I am a little suspect of Real Player Downloader. Does anyone else have a wireless system that works well with no dropouts who also runs Real Player Downloader?

Any help would be much appreciated.

15. gmadd macrumors newbie

AirPort Extreme Wireless Card dropping connection

Hello sOWL,

I'm running 10.4.11 / AirPortExtremeUpdate2008002 / Wireless Card Firmware Version: 1.4.4.

I have the same dropping of connectivity - the worse is with Skype and ff3.

Can you please post the link to the revert guide referred to above - thanks!

Love to give this a go to fix my MacB Pro.

Cheers.

16. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I'm just bumping this because I've been dealing with this same crap since day 1 with my MBP. And yes, Vista 64 on the same MBP works perfectly fine/much faster (so it's not a hardware problem). I've tried a million different things, went through various routers, etc. Come on Apple, stop denying there's a problem and fix it already.

17. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I read somewhere that the culprit could be Leopard drivers for Broadcom cards. Atheros cards seem to...overall have lesser issues.

18. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

My guess is my early 2008 MBP would have a Broadcom card?

19. Jisuo macrumors 6502

My new aluminum macbook had big problems with Airport first time I used it (kept loosing connection, very slow, etc), but I found a tip somewhere with google:

I added another connection in Network in System Preferences, called it "Home" (could be anything), but let the original connection (called Airport) be the "primary" (top of the list).

Problems stopped immediately. Not sure it did it, I'm just glad it's working perfectly now. Even better than on my older IBM laptop.

20. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

If your wireless card firmware says Broadcom then yeah it does. My Early 08 MBP is a Broadcom though and it sometimes suffers dropout...although rare. The problem is worse on the iMac however (also broadcom)

21. jzakariasen macrumors newbie

Solution for Airport Connection Drops

Here is a solution that I posted in the following excellent thread on Apples website. http://installingcats.com/2008/06/0...nnection-drops-on-leopard-10-5-2/#comment-453
    ===========================================

Lauren stated that the only time her connection dropped was when her husband was on his Windows laptop. I have found the exact same thing only I have narrowed it down further to Windows VISTA as I have another computer on the wireless network running Windows XP that does not cause conflicts.

Most importantly after trying to tweak the VISTA settings without success I decided to try Steve's advise and took Real Player Downloader off of my MacBook Pro by taking it out of the list of startup programs. After doing this, and rebooting my MacBook Pro, low and behold my VISTA laptop and my MacBook Pro can now co-exist happily on the same WIFI network. I now have great speed and no connection drops. Yipee, Yaahoo!!!!!! Finally something that seems to help. I too have my fingers crossed!

For reference, my wireless network was set up using a MAC Time Capsule.

May I express my profound thanks to Lauren, Steve, Ben Lam, and all the others who took the time to make posts and help others to solve this problem!!! You are all wonderful, giving people who I can't praise enough.

As for Apple, Real Player, and Microsoft I suggest that they get together to resolve this problem as I have found Real Player Downloader to be a useful utility in spite of all the problems it has caused me.

22. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Why install Real Player/One Spyware at all & why would Apple want to get together with them?

23. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

I have no problem with airport on leopard....:eek:

24. Paul7 macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro connects at low signal strength

I'm also having a TON of problems with dropped airport connections on my MacBook Pro. It seems to be Leopard b/c I never had any problems with Tiger. I could be sitting 10 ft. away with a clear line of sight, and the signal would drop, while a PC three floors up can connect without any problems. Albeit, when I have a clear line of sight, it drops less frequently. I've made sure my channels aren't overlapping (I'm on Ch.11, the others are on Ch.1 I don't see how much farther away you can go). It's also frustrating that the signal strength would jump from 5 bars to 1 bar to 3 bar, to no bars etc. in a matter of seconds.

I don't think it's the router, since I have had this problem with a Netgear router, two Linksys routers, and my school network (who uses CISCO routers I believe). One curious observation is that the signal strength from the MacBook Pro is very weak. With tomato firmware installed on one of the Linksys routers, it measured that the signal was about -90db. This compares to -60 to -70db with *both* my iPhone and PC (again, all the way up on the third floor).