Server was mad when a church didn’t tip her for a $735 order, now she’s fired

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Feb 12, 2018.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I can see both sides of this really but in the end the company has a strict policy about posting on social media.

From the Miami Herald
    Tamlynn Yoder spent most of her shift at an Outback Steakhouse readying a take-out order for 25 people.

The 75-item order — placed by a Christ Fellowship church in Palm Beach Gardens on Wednesday — included 25 steaks, 25 chicken dinners and 25 sides of potatoes.

The total bill: $735.

The total tip: $0, she told reporters.

It wasn’t long before Yoder took her frustration to social media. She vented on how she only received $18 in tips that day from other orders because she was so busy preparing the mega church’s order, WFLX reported.

“We take the order over the phone, we put the order together, take payment and then take order to the car,” Yoder told the Palm Beach Post. “It’s a lot of work just as much as serving.”

The next day, Yoder says her manager fired her, and that the church received a full refund, reported WPTV.

According to The Palm Beach Post, an Outback Steakhouse spokeswoman explained that company policy says employees can’t post about customers on social media and are subject to termination if the policy is violated.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

She shouldn't have posted if that's the company policy. But whoever placed the order and didn't tip was wrong for not tipping at all. And I might get flamed for this - but it's one thing to not tip if you place a single order... but on a group order and of that magnitude to not tip - that's just wrong.

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Interesting that they don't have a "service fee" (aka tip) for such a large order.

Everywhere I go, a "tip" is automatically added on now for more than 5 or 6 people...

4. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Sounds like a miscommunication to me, they just sent a driver to pick it up. In either case the church felt bad and is trying to get that woman her job back, I don't think they meant to do that and I do think she jumped the gun a bit.

5. jerwin macrumors 68020

So, being an ******* at restaurants pays dividends?

6. Volusia macrumors 6502

Volusia

Many businesses and governments prohibit adding additional fees only purchases, i.e. a tip. If the individual is willing to provide a tip out of their own pocket they can, but it can not be included on a purchase card.

7. 0007776 Suspended

I would expect that as well. If I was in the church’s position I likely would have assumed that and not left an extra tip either.

8. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

This is the first thing that crossed my mind.

This really should be the way it is everywhere. Just tell me how much to pay and we can do away with this tipping nonsense.

9. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

It sounds like tipped workers can get paid less than minimum wage because tips are assumed. Not that it makes this right or wrong, just something that should be pointed out.

10. chiefsilverback macrumors 6502

Does that mean servers in FL are guaranteed $5.22/hour? If state law assumes $3.02/hour for tips, that's $120 in a $40 hour week, which at the current 'acceptable' tipping rate of 20-25% is somewhere between $500 and $600 of food served over that 40 hour period...

11. SusanK macrumors 68000

She should have talked to her supervisor rather than going nuts on social media. Maybe she would be happier in the back of the house. Dishwasher, cook etc.

Outback is foolish if they rehire her.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Technically she shouldn't have done that, that's a bad look for the business.

But I understand her frustration. And morally the church was wrong for not giving her a tip, especially when churches always ask for money themselves.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Some takeaways. Like the takeaway at the Outback Steakhouse, you won't get paid for reading this.

1) Social Media is the devil. If you don't realize that by now, here's a free tip for you: Quit now. You'll be a happier, better person.

2) Tipping in restaurants is a contentious issue, one that is often mishandled. Outback Steakhouse (and probably 75% of the similar chains) need to address the problem. If this woman had flat-out refused to assemble the order ahead of time, she would have been fired.

3) In a normal economy, problems like this would be handled via collective bargaining. IOW, restaurant servers would work to a contract that specified a reasonable living wage, and a fair distribution of tips. Kiss that notion goodbye in the nightmarish TrumpAmerica the Republicans are busy erecting around us.

4) What would Jesus tip? They don't tell us who handled the catering at the Last Supper, but I'd like to think the Apostles wouldn't have stiffed the serving girl. Except for that Judas dude. I see him going off all Mr. Pink (from Reservoir Dogs) before Jesus cuffed him upside the head.

5) Outback Steakhouse is about singularly unconvincing as an "Australian" experience as I can remember. Remember that voice actor they used to do their TV commercials? Jermain Clement. Most famous as a New Zealander. (Another tip: You can hear the difference between Aussie and Kiwi when they say the word chips. Kiwis say it "chups". Aussies say it "cheeps". This is known as a vowel shift. Another shift you don't get paid for. Like working at Outback Steakhouse when an ******* church phones in a takeout order.

14. chiefsilverback macrumors 6502

Morally churches should report paedophiles to the police, and not siphon money off of their congregants to fund lives of luxury for the church leaders. Not tipping on an order from Outback is way down on this list of things that churches should do, morally!

15. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I always thought tips were for dine-in. You are served a meal, someone waits on you. Refilling your drinks, your bread (love that Outback bread). Making sure you are happy. They should have probably tipped, but I can see where they may not have thought about it since they were not dine in and getting standard wait service.

Also, for all we know she was rude, condescending, etc. I have not left tips, or a penny on the table, when this happens. We are hearing only one side of the story.

Either way, we are bound by corporate policies, and they have the right to fire.

16. jdillings macrumors 68000

Am I the only one that doesn't tip on take out orders?

17. samcraig macrumors P6

I don't on an individual order. But when I order for a large(r) group of people, yes. I tip.

18. 0007776 Suspended

What does that have to do with anything? And most churches do make reports, but it makes for a better news story to focus on the occasional times they don’t.

19. SusanK macrumors 68000

I've never ordered for a large group. For an individual order it never occurred to me to tip. A few weeks ago I stopped at Cheesecake Factory for one slice of Original to go. It was an incidental stop. I was at that shopping village at a non-dinner hour so parking was available.

Cheesecake has servers ring their tabs up at the bakery register. Customers wait for orders after employees are served. That always seemed odd to me but that's the way it's done. I always invite the server to be taken care of while I wait. They have a table waiting. I don't. Tipping for a slice of cheesecake never crossed my mind.

20. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I typically agree with the premise but when I walk in and they hand me the receipt to sign with the "tip" line in there, I always add something because they're usually staring at me lol.

21. SusanK macrumors 68000

Entitlement mentality of food service employees is way out of hand. If they don't want to hand a bag over the counter they should talk to their managers.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I agree, but that doesn't take away the tackiness of not tipping on such a large bill.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I think this is entirely Tamlynn's fault. After all, who would stoop so low as to be hired by a company that would presume to regulate their employees' free speech in personal social media?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    Yes.

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I don't tip on take out orders, regardless of size. Unless someone is "waiting" on me or delivering it, then I tip. Never occurred to me that I needed to tip someone for handing me my food. If anyone deserves the tip it's the cook.

25. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Entitlement mentality? Give me a break. The woman in question here deserved a tip. As for anyone who hands someone a receipt that has a tip line on it, that's not the servers fault. That's how the receipt are printed out for take out or for sit down service. You don't want to tip, don't.