Service Battery warning on MBP i7 17" and other odd things

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by inertiat, Sep 10, 2010.

1. inertiat macrumors member

Hi,

I got my first Mac last Sunday (woo!) but I was using it last night and a battery warning came up.
    I had been using the MBP, then turned it off and went out with battery still remaining. When I came back again a few hours later I used the Mac and after about 10 mins closed the lid for some reason. When I opened it back up it wouldn't start unless I plugged in the power outlet - the thing had completely drained. Then I checked the battery and it says to 'Service Battery'. It's now holding a charge as normal as far as I can see but the warning is still there. Anyone had a similar problem?

A couple of other things I notice too:
    - When I tilt the MBP to the right sometimes a scraping noise comes from the inside - maybe from a fan?
    - When I pick it up from the bottom, the bottom of the Mac dips inwards slightly and there is a click as it makes contact with something on the inside of the case.
    Are these things normal?

I've made a Genius Bar reservation but I think I might just swap it for a new one. Is that ok to do in the UK?

2. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

If you have any issues or questions about your new purchase then you've done the right thing. The sooner the better will give more chance of replacement vs repair.

The battery will lose some power, even when not in use and if you try to wake from sleep (open the lid) and its dropped below a certain charge (10% remaining??? not sure of the figure) it will not start and tell you to plug it in.

You definitely shouldn't be getting any noises just from tilting the MBP and the unibody shouldn't deform at all when pressed.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. inertiat thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies.

The funnt thing is since last night the Service Battery warning has gone :confused:

5. Reapur macrumors regular

If you are within 14 days of purchase date, I would without a doubt just ask for an exchange. You are entitled to it as a consumer, especially with a big ticket purchase like this. Your computer should have no such issues this early in its life. Even if the warning has disappeared still ask for an exchange and explain you dont want any issues with your computer related to this problem later on in its life. Having to hand in your computer for repair is a major inconvenience and if you have the ability to prevent those future issues I would definitely do so now before its too late.

6. inertiat thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the advice on that one.
    If I do do I'd like to wipe my personal data and mail etc off the HDD first. Is there any quick way to do this?