Service center wont repair my speakers if I dont get my screen fixed from them?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sanic420, Feb 16, 2019.

1. sanic420 macrumors newbie

I regret not having the speakers fixed immediately when I noticed it. Now that my screen is cracked, its much worse. They checked the speakers and its free of charge to replace but they have to fix the screen first. I offered to give them an external monitor cause i just might use an external since I cant afford a new screen. But they said they cant fix the speakers if I dont avail their screen.

I honestly dont know what to feel. These problems are just piling up. First the screen, then turns out they cant fix the speakers too and also i paid for diagnostic fee (because its a physical damage even if its still under warranty) Basically I paid for just them to say I have to buy a new screen. And to think i just bought this 3 months ago.

2. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Are there any other authorised companies nearby you could go to?

3. sanic420 thread starter macrumors newbie

There are more authorized service centers actually and its my plan to get 2nd opinion. Most of them are closed on sunday but this one authorized shop said that its better to coordinate with the one i bought it from since the warranty is already expired. Since i bought this 2014 mbp new and sealed. Its a special order since it wasnt on display on the shop.

4. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Do you have the receipt? Warranty should be from purchase date. Though I’ve had experience with 3rd party Apple stores, all so bad, so best of luck! Let us know!

5. sanic420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok i never thought of this. Why would the apple warranty expire if they said its new? I have the receipt and yes, they promised i have one year warranty and its true. BUT technically, in the apple website, when you check the serial the warranty is already expired. And if you ask other authorized service center, its also expired.

6. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

The warranty is expired because you probably purchased the machine from a third party not directly from Apple or an Apple authorized reseller. The warranty starts when it was obtained by the third party. I had the same thing happen to me when I purchased an iPhone 5C from a third party seller on Amazon. And that was the explanation given to me by Apple. Only Apple and Apple authorized resellers like Best Buy or B&H Photo will give you a warranty that starts from the date the machine was sold.

7. sanic420 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it from an authorized apple reseller. They are big and trusted here. But don't the warranty start once the laptop is used and bought by the user? Thats what apple said and also what the shop said.

8. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

They (the shop you bought it from) lied to you. If they are an authorized Apple reseller, then the warranty begins when it's sold to you. Since the warranty was almost completely used up, they are either NOT an authorized reseller, or that machine was not new. Apple can tell by the serial number of the device when it was sold and when the warranty started. Why don't you ask Apple customer service for an explanation. That's what I did with my iPhone 5C when I found out it no longer had a warranty on it even though I purchased it new from a reseller on Amazon.

9. sanic420 thread starter macrumors newbie

I talked to the shop I got it from. Its for sure is an authorized reseller. Its called Switch. So I called Switch earlier and they said it might be a glitch on the system since they wont sell a used product. And there are cases like that where apple has a glitch on the warranty date. (I dont know if i believe her)

But anyway, it couldnt be used too since i got it fresh from the box and it had the sticker seal too.

Already contacted apple regarding this and will be called tomorrow. I hope they just finally repair my laptop for free cause there are so many red flags!

10. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Looks like you're pursuing it the right way. I hope you get it resolved but I've never known Apple to be wrong about a warranty date. They can track the serial number of any device and tell you when the warranty is up. I was lucky with my iPhone 5C because it never failed for the time I owned it. Good luck with the repairs and let us know how it went.

11. sanic420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I hope i get to hear some good news over all these multiple back to back bad news ive been having.

12. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

I’ve had many experiences with authorised Apple resellers selling grey market devices and devices with incorrect warranties. This definitely has to be pursued. Are you located in Malaysia? Apple has an online store there. See if you can contact Apple support and explain the warranty issue and that you have a receipt. Maybe also explain the audio issue, they might be able to help.

13. sanic420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Philippines. I already scheduled a call tomorrow regarding this issue.

14. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Good luck! The Philippines also has an Apple Online Store, so you shouldn't have too much trouble contacting them. When I'm in Kuwait (which doesn't have any official Apple Stores, online or otherwise), people usually contact Apple in the UAE (which has an online store) when they have issues like these with the local Apple Authorized Resellers or Apple Authorized Service Providers, and they do help, so I think you might have some luck.

15. BasicGreatGuy, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If there is a problem with your speakers and the computer is under warranty, the AASP should repair the speakers, even if you don't want to get the screen repaired at the same time. If the AASP is saying you should get both repaired at the same time to save time, that makes sense. If they are refusing to repair speakers if you don't get the screen fixed first, that doesn't sound like AASP procedures. That sounds like the store trying to manipulate you. Also, a AASP shouldn't be charging a diagnostic fee, if you purchased it brand new from them 3 or 4 months ago.

If the computer was bought new and is under warranty, you should be able to take to any AASP to get fixed as you wish, with no service fee.

While mistakes can happen from time to time, the serial numbers are usually entered with a barcode scanner and not manually.

I think the store took advantage of you (lied) and is not acting as a AASP should.

16. sanic420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly. They really are trying to take your money. But anyway, they said its SOP that Apple wont send them the part for the speaker to be replaced because the AASP will send a report regarding the physical screen damage.

Which I get why they want to follow SOP but i feel like if they ask apple about, they will allow it. They just want to take advantage of me.

For the diagnostic fee, I asked a different AASP and thats their procedure too. Even if its under warranty, you will get charged IF its a physical damage. If they find out its not a physical damage, they wont charge the diagnostic fee. Which i don't get.. cause how would you know if its a physical damage if you dont check it first? These authorized resellers really are the worst.

Its funny how those small 3rd party repair centers for mac dont even charge to check your laptop.

These AASP are charging you to just tell you "Oh hey youre device is broken"

17. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Here in the US AASPs will charge a diagnostic fee for any machine out of warranty while a genuine Apple Store genius bar will do the diagnostics for free. The big difference is that any machine considered vintage by Apple is usually turned away at the genius bar while AASPs generally will take it in.