Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitarevan07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
I've seen some topics on this before but I never came across a clear answer so that's why I'm making this post. I'm really sorry if a lot of people already know this. I couldn't find the answer I wanted/needed so, even if this solution is known, I hope it helped someone!

Like many others, I enjoy saving high quality images (.jpg) and setting them as wallpaper. For the longest time, I've wondered why some images seemed to degrade in quality after setting as wallpaper. I'd notice this most on my homescreen. I eventually just accepted that iOS compresses the images to save memory (this was what I had read). ( :( )

Today, I was shocked at how great a wallpaper looked on my new iPhone 6, and I thought it was just the great display. But it wasn't! I had actually set a screenshot of the original image as wallpaper, rather than the original image. Screenshots save as .PNG when pictures on our iPhone's are taken as .JPG (of course as well as many pictures you download).

It turns out that iOS DOES compress files when setting as wallpaper, but when PNG's are compressed, they do not lose quality. JPG's DO lose quality!

So now when setting a JPG as wallpaper, I take a screenshot first of how I'd like it to look on my lockscreen, THEN set the screenshot as wallpaper, which preserves the quality!

Linked are sample images of the issue/solution. First, is the original picture. Second, is the original picture set as wallpaper. Third is a screenshot of the original image then set as wallpaper. I don't know how to embed these in this post, but let me know and I'll do that.
http://imgur.com/a/qhyEO

EDIT: Also, I meant to delete that 1 attachment. Mods, please do that for me! Thanks!

Attachments

• original.JPG
    original.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 968
Last edited:

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
That's very interesting. I've experienced low quality JPEGs for wallpapers I found online, so I started saving them as PNGs. I thought it was something I didn't understand about image compression, or they got degraded when sent to my phone. I didn't know that they look fine in Photos. This must be a bug that's just too subtle for people to identify.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Maybe it's just me but the screen shot certainly looks better then the original set as wall paper but it still doesn't look as good as the original it self.

guitarevan07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
That's very interesting. I've experienced low quality JPEGs for wallpapers I found online, so I started saving them as PNGs. I thought it was something I didn't understand about image compression, or they got degraded when sent to my phone. I didn't know that they look fine in Photos. This must be a bug that's just too subtle for people to identify.

Crazy, right? It bothered the hell out of me though. All. The. time. I couldn't stand it

----------

Maybe it's just me but the screen shot certainly looks better then the original set as wall paper but it still doesn't look as good as the original it self.

That's exactly right! the Screenshot looks much better! That is the PNG which did not degrade the image when compressed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.