Set price is 199 or 299, *READ THIS* i spoke to an att rep

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tjespo22, Jun 10, 2008.

1. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

Chat InformationThank you for your patience! An AT&T sales representative will be with you shortly.
    Chat InformationYou are now chatting with Oscar, an AT&T sales representative.
    thomas: hi
    Oscar: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support. How may I assist you with placing your order today?
    thomas: i have a couple questions about the iphone 3g
    Oscar: Great! I'd be happy to help you with that.
    thomas: I have been hearing all of these rumors and i just want to get them straigt. I have the iphone thats out now and i would like to upgrade on july 11th, now will i still be able to get the phone for 199 or 299? and also is the data plan going to be more expensive?
    Oscar: Those are good questions. As before you will be paying the full price on the phone which are the prices you quoted. The data plans will start at $30 instead of $20.
    thomas: so the 199 or 299 is a set price its not like your paying less since your signing a 2 year agreement
    thomas: and also, will the phone have to be set up in the apple store when i purchase it?
    Oscar: iPhone never qualified for a discount. You can purchase it online when it comes out and activate it when it arrives.
    thomas: so it will still be activated in itunes, and its weather you have a iphone or not its 199 or 299, correct?
    Oscar: Correct.
    thomas: thank you
    Oscar: Have I answered all of your questions today?
    thomas: yes thank you
    Oscar: Thank you for choosing AT&T. Have a great day

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

no offense or anything, but most of those reps have no earthly idea what is going on... they just found out about it yesterday, like us

I am not saying this info is wrong, but it also has to be questioned, I am sure the info will become more clear as we approach the launch

3. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I'm sure they have a script that they don't deviate from so I would treat the info from them as most likely trust worthy.

4. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

i totally agree with you. most of the time the reps on the other end of a support line know the very least.

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Anything about unannounced products, yeah don't trust them. But they're not a bad place for info about products that are announced.

6. kyleaa macrumors regular

7. joshisradd macrumors newbie

I did an online customer service chat with an Apple rep and he told me basically the same thing. He said that wasn't a subsidized price, just the flat rate. Although I didn't ask about activating it at home.

8. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

FWIW, I did the same thing this evening but with a live rep. She sounded extremely knowledgeable, and never once hesitated. She was extremely confident in her answers.

I got the exact same response you did--the phone will be activated online through iTunes.

There's hope for us yet!!

9. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

i see where you ppl are coming from who say they might not beleive it, but i do, becuase on launch day i cnat see them sitting there activating every single persons phone. its going to be a set rate, and be just like the other phone. you prob dont even have to extend your contract.

thats what i think, and my opinion

tom

EDIT: also, i cant see them only selling them in the store. and not online.

10. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

It's already been said that it will be activated in-store...

btw, that's not being knowledgable, it's called good acting. She was reading the same resource page he was.

11. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

I'm sorry, but that's just ignorant. AT&T is not going to purposely and knowingly feed their customers very specific false information. It's just not going to happen, and would be a PR nightmare.

12. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

the main reason i dont beleive that they will activate in store is just because it will take way too long, when i waited on line for iphone v1 it was 350 ppl. say it takes a good 5-7 minutes that mean it would take 7 hours even if there were 5 reps available. Im hoping they let u walk out and just go home and activate it like the first iphone launch

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Worse. Reads like a political debate. "That's a GRRRRRRRREAT question!!!!!!" Geez, just talk to me. Scripted customer support = reason to not like company. Put Snoop Dogg on the phone and I'll stay with you. "Wuzzup dog? You want an iPhone in your hizzouse? Word. We gotchu."

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If this is actually true (I have large doubts), then I'll get a 3G iPhone and unlock it immediately.

Oh, and what's this about them forcing you to return your phone if you cancel within 30 days of activation? I bought it. It is my property. Touch it and you're sued. Seems like that's the worse PR nightmare.

15. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, they're sending out so much conflicting info. In store activation only, no wait you can activate it at home. The iPhone's price is subsidized, no wait it isn't.

Would they please just post the info and stop all this madness?

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Likely you don't get a phone without signing the contract ...

So standard contract speak is normal.

For Apple, this isn't typical and they better have an AT&T kiosk or AT&T shirted person to make that more clear.

Or you will get your PR nightmare, or a bunch of Yahoos all going up to the registers at the same time an actually reading the contract before they sign -- then deciding against and walking out.

All it takes is 10-20 people a day reading the contract to slow things to a halt in the stores.

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes, but this applies up to 30 days after "I" have signed. It does not apply afterwards. So it is not my property for those first thirty days?

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Nope, it isn't ... the contract hasn't gotten into the penalty phase yet.

That is the 30-day "free trial period" where if you cancel the contract you unwind the purchase.

After the 30-day period you get whacked with the early termination fee.

19. BlueRazor2 macrumors member

I asked almost the same questions to an Apple Agent through the Apple Store online and I got the same responses. I hope they are not just given us these answers because they do not want to say that they do not know the answer to your question.

20. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

ditto

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

How is that legal?

22. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Hmmm... I hope the CSR you spoke with is more informative than the one I spoke with, the one I spoke with said, I'd be required to Activate in the store...

I told them, I'm already an AT&T customer and just looking to upgrade IPhones, she said same rules apply..

:mad:

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It is contract law, you aren't buying a phone.

You are signing a contract, don't get the phone without the contract this time round.

Sign this and get the iPhone 3G for $199, decide you don't like the contract or the phone in the 1st 30 days and return your phone and lose the $50 application fee + first 30 days phone charges.

24. kkachurak macrumors regular

<OT>

Do you wait on a line or in a line?

</OT>