set up wifi in my house, but iMac only sees it for a few minutes! help please!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ero87, Sep 15, 2008.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Hi everyone,

I just bought a brand new wireless router for my house at college for senior year, and I'd love to have consistent internet for my iMac G5. However, the wifi seems to stop working every 5 minutes. I need to turn airport on and off and reconnect to the network. Has anyone else ever experienced a similar issue? Btw the network has a WPA2 personal password.

Thanks so much for any help you can give :)

2. CBeckmann macrumors newbie

Does the internet work or does your mac just say its connected?
    It might be a compatibility issue with the security... because i've had a similar problem with a friends powerbook G4.Try turning the security off on the internet (temporarily) to see if it makes a difference.

What type of signal strength are you getting?
    If the macs signal keeps dropping out you might have to look at getting a repeater... but i dont have any idea how much they would cost id imagine under 40 pounds.

Connor,

3. CBeckmann macrumors newbie

Does the internet work or does your mac just say its connected?
    It might be a compatibility issue with the security... because i've had a similar problem with a friends powerbook G4.Try turning the security off on the internet (temporarily) to see if it makes a difference.

What type of signal strength are you getting?
    If the macs signal keeps dropping out you might have to look at getting a repeater... but i dont have any idea how much they would cost id imagine under 40 pounds.

Connor,

4. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

Yes the internet works for little bits at a time, and in fact the Airport icon remains full, even when Safari (and Mail) stops pulling data from the internet.

5. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

Is there maybe a short little applescript i could run, triggered by a hotkey, that could restart my Airport? If I train myself to run that applescript after I load every site, then I'd be fine!