Seth Rogen, Michael Moore Slam 'American Sniper'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 19, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/seth-rogen-michael-moore-slam-145300176.html

some people are a waste of oxygen. few forget or don't even understand that they can say stupid things like they have thanks to many in uniform.

2. sim667 macrumors 65816

To be fair I'd say snipers are some of the most skilled marksmen around, that doesn't mean they're cowardly.

3. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Saw it this weekend. Thought it was awesome.

Michael Moore is a hypocrite buffoon, and Seth Rogan's contribution to the world is bad stand up and a podcast.

4. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I haven't seen the movie; but I did read Chris Kyle's autobiography of the same name. And to be honest, there were an awful lot of things that I found extremely troubling.

Lets start with this: Kyle was a guy who enjoyed killing people. And bragged about the number that he had killed.

That is disturbing. He might very well rationalize his killing by saying it was done to protect his comrades (probably true) or that they were all "bad guys" (somewhat more debatable.)

I think US servicemen who fought the Germans in Normandy or the Japanese on Iwo Jima would not automatically classify their enemies as "bad guys." An honest assessment would say that they were men who fought and died for their country and cause the same way as US troops did.

And yet the people Kyle killed overwhelmingly were Iraqis, fighting in their own country, against the military forces of a nation that had invaded them on politically and factually shaky grounds.

Bad guys? Maybe from his point of view.

Thats the problem I have with Kyle's book. A shocking lack of introspection. Not a shred of questioning anything he ever did; or the wisdom of the shibboleths and mantras his training hammered into him. And ultimately it was this lack of introspection that got him killed.

Because a man better able to question what he was doing might have had second thoughts about the wisdom of taking a comrade who was clearly suffering from the psychic wounds of war to a firing range.

So: Rage against Michael Moore and Seth Rogan if you want to. US troops are always heroes who are always right; and anyone who ever raises a question about their behavior or their culture of guns and killing is obviously a no-good coward and pinko.

6. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

All this movie shows is that Clint Eastwood is a 1 dimensional director who deals with the same themes in each of his movies.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Are you giving away the movie ending? If so, you might word it more ambiguously. No spoilers.

And since I'm here ...

Michael Moore should sometimes keep his thoughts inside the head and reconsider the value of putting them out in public. I think this is one of those moments where the value simply isn't there, and it just seems like sour grapes.

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

did you ever consider they have PTSD BECAUSE they HAVE questioned what they have done?

9. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Not true. There are some US troops that might take it a bit too far, but just as you said before, many of them are people just fighting for their cause, which happens to be freedom. You might not agree with it, but unless you are willing to put yourself in the same position, your "thoughts' on the matter aren't going to ring true.

Those same people that Moore and Rogan are railing against, are the very same people that are going to fight for their right to say these things.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It does not mean they always exercise good judgment as eluded to in this thread. I have to wonder about someone who could brag about how many people they've killed. I believe this would weigh heavily on an average person.

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

The Bridges of Madison County
    Mystic River
    Gran Torino
    Letters from Iwo Jima
    Jersey Boys

I've seen all those movies. Please enlighten me on his "one dimension".

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

YOU missed Million Dollar baby? that was good as well.

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Yeah it was phenomenal. And apparently one dimensional...:rolleyes:

14. sim667 macrumors 65816

Yeah I do think it shows a lack of respect for the dead, and undermines the morals of the act itself.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I think when you are around people that have served in combat, you'll see that each one has a unique coping mechanism to process what has been done.

It's nothing to do with respect and everything to do with holding it together after seeing and doing things your average person on the street can't even begin to comprehend.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

War damages everyone associated with it.

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

Obviously, I've seen the dehumanisation of acts committed first hand..

But a coping strategy does not mean there's a reason to go around showing off about the amount of people you've legitimately killed.

18. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

All his films show how people deal with past tortures and how it affects their actions in the present. A lot of his movies deal with similar themes. Maybe he's not one dimensional, but definitely not a varied director by any means. For example, Letters from Iwo Jima and Unforgiven show with how tortured people deal with killing other people, although I rather liked Unforgiven.

It's not just him, Scorsese does similar stuff as well, but he's a vastly superior director (my opinion), so his movies are much better despite being somewhat similar. Definitely not so black and white compared to Eastwood.

That's just your opinion. I thought that movie was god awful; nothing compared to the Aviator. Again, that movie deals with someone who is haunted by past mistakes and tries to overcome/deal with them.

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Michael Moore is a straight-up liar. Nobody in the military is taught that "snipers are cowards." Not even enemy snipers. In actuality, we are taught that a sniper is a fearsome, highly skilled, and effective weapons system.

Michael Moore would know that if his morbidly obese ass had actually served.

Click-bait tweets are evidence of the rapidly diminishing interest in his films.

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It's not for you to tell anyone how to process combat in a post combat setting. Provided it doesn't involve shooting people trying to help you or committing suicide.

21. sim667 macrumors 65816

Urinating on dead bodies in war zones......

Totally acceptable then?

22. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Deflection noted.

23. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Would he say the same thing about Vasily Zaytsev, or Simo Hayha? Probably not.

----------

I'm pretty sure that didn't happen in Oklahoma, so that would still be a combat zone.

And if it keeps a Marine from losing his ****, I'd rather that than eating a 5.56.

24. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Moore and Rogen: Clueless, ignorant, bedwetters suffering from a chronic case of verbal diarrhea.

25. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

But Rogan is tough...he is a commentator on UFC :rolleyes: