SETI Thread

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
Hey,

This is just a curiousity to see who runs seti, how fast they run it (how many minutes it takes to finish one percent) and how many data blcks they have completed.

I run my seti on a 933 g4 and it runs about 5 minutes per percent (about 9 hours per data block) and ive completed one data block.
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,233
2
London, England
This thread is pretty much along the same lines as this one, allthough it's from some time back (Nov 2001!), but never the less you still may find it interesting.
 

Mephisto

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
44
0
welp, looking at my status, seti has been runnin fer 4hrs and 6mins and has completed 65.83%
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
oops forgot about the distributed forums. O well i went to the next best thing... general discussion.
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
Originally posted by Mephisto
welp, looking at my status, seti has been runnin fer 4hrs and 6mins and has completed 65.83%

Wow, thats pretty fast.

im curretnly at 17% at 1 hr 50 minutes
 

Mephisto

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
44
0
Now its at 5:15 and 83% complete

yeh, its fast, I wonder why...

Im using the command line version on a new DDR 1Ghz :)

But is has gone slower than this before, longest i ever seen it take was like 8hr for the whole thing

Are all packets basically the same size?
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
Originally posted by Mephisto
Now its at 5:15 and 83% complete

yeh, its fast, I wonder why...

Im using the command line version on a new DDR 1Ghz :)

But is has gone slower than this before, longest i ever seen it take was like 8hr for the whole thing

Are all packets basically the same size?
The longest ive see it take was 23 hours on a pb 450 g4. ad all packets are different.
 

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
1,187
0
SFBA
between 4 and 5 hours (closer to 4 average) per unit per CLI client running two clients on my dual 1900XP box

between 10 and 11 hours per unit per client runnint two CLI clients on my dual 500 G4

i remember running the graphical client in OS9, and then when I first tried the graphical client on my PC it just FLEW....speed was just amazing.... must be about the same for the dual gig G4 users :D

approaching about 3,000 units.... a lot of which are from my G4, whose power supply recently clogged from doing all that crunching >_<

all units are not only different, but sometimes if there's too much interference that it just dumps the unit and grabs another...I've had like 5 min work units from this he he :D
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
which is better, the command (terminal) interface or the GUI version of SETI?
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
can the command line one use my profile taht ive already made??
 

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
1,187
0
SFBA
Originally posted by G5orbust
can the command line one use my profile taht ive already made??
ya, it'll just ask you to enter the email address that you registered with them

you could also run 1x GUI client and 1x CLI client on a dual processor machine, but it will only be using both processors for crunching when the GUI client goes to blank screen, so it's not really worth it he he :D
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
hehe i tried the command line one. Guess im not as good at UNIX as i tohught i had to be. O well, the GUI one works stunningly for me and the screen saver version... even better.
 

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
6,999
409
Chicagoland
Re: SETI Thread

Originally posted by G5orbust
Hey,

This is just a curiousity to see who runs seti, how fast they run it (how many minutes it takes to finish one percent) and how many data blcks they have completed.

I run my seti on a 933 g4 and it runs about 5 minutes per percent (about 9 hours per data block) and ive completed one data block.
The P4 I use at work is I believe a 1.4GHz machine. I get around 43 hours per data chunk! :rolleyes:

My Pentium Pro 200 at home I think gets around 100 hours per unit.

I have 26 completed.
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
Re: Re: SETI Thread

Originally posted by iShater


The P4 I use at work is I believe a 1.4GHz machine. I get around 43 hours per data chunk! :rolleyes:

My Pentium Pro 200 at home I think gets around 100 hours per unit.

I have 26 completed.

whoa....... my 933 g4 pulls like 13 hours per chunk. God, and tehy say P4s are so much better.... (no offence to ur computer)
 

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
1,184
0
G5orbust:

Sorry to burst your anti-P4 bubble, but read the upcoming link and weep (version 3.03+ results links on the left):

http://www.teamlambchop.com/bench/

Using a stardard packet, the fastest Athlon does (1900mhz) it in 2:48, fastest P4 (2200mhz) does it in 2:58. Those scores are from January. A slightly newer link from that page is here:

http://pages.tca.net/roelof/setispy/tlctop200.htm

Which shows a P4 @ 2502mhz pulling a 2:34 packet.

Damn.
 

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
1,184
0
Oh hey look, there's a 1000mhz G4 score from February!

http://www.teamlambchop.com/bench/303resultsp3.htm

7:07 though, that's pretty far behind the PC's, but pretty much in line with what I expect from my own DP-800. Oh hey look a little above the G4, that's a Duron at 1.03ghz that scores 7:03. Sheesh, so much for that whole Megahertz Myth huh? :) Hahah.
 

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
1,652
6
State of Denial
The fastest its ever gone was just under 1 minute for a data block. It's done that three times or so over the years. On my iBook and iMac it takes about 18 hours per unit.
 

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
6,999
409
Chicagoland
Re: Re: Re: SETI Thread

Originally posted by G5orbust



whoa....... my 933 g4 pulls like 13 hours per chunk. God, and tehy say P4s are so much better.... (no offence to ur computer)
OK ok, I tried this again using the commandline client.

BOY! Did that make a difference!

On the P4 ~1.4GHz machine, it seems to be around 5 hours per packet. Not sure about my PPro, I left it running with command client this morning. :D
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
Hehe, guess new P4s just completely smoke us..... Well, the again, most people running a newer P4 like taht probably woundt be running seti. Theyd prbably be running games, cuz no doubt their system came w/ a kik arse graphics card of some kind. I tihnk 13 hours is fast enough for me.....
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.