Setting AHCI mode to Unibody MBP drives in Vista64

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gugucom, Jun 5, 2009.

1. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I have recently tuned my mac pro for dropping the legacy mode on the HD and ODD drives because I wanted to use a Blu-Ray drive under Vista Business 64-Bit. It now runs all drives in AHCI mode and shows much faster HD performance.

I checked my unibody MBP and found it runs both SATA drives (HD and super drive) in Windows in legacy IDE mode.

The MBP has a NVIDIA chipset which uses an MCP97 controller which is supporting AHCI version 1.2 according to my profiler under OS X 10.5.7.

I would like to set this controller to AHCI in Windows as well. Unfortunately I am only familiar with the Intel drivers for AHCI drive management for the Mac Pro 5000 chipsets. I was wondering if one of the users here managed to ome across NVIDIA equivalents for running the SATA drives in AHCI mode? Search did not yield any results via Google or MacRumors internal search.

2. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

Is there really nobody out there who knows anything about this issue?

3. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

No, they're still trying to figure it out under OS X ;).

4. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

I don't think that is true. Please check the pic of AHCI in OS X.

Attached Files:

5. CompanionCube macrumors regular

CompanionCube

I have yet to see any method to enable AHCI on the nVidia MCP97 chipset. It is unfortunate that it's Legacy by default using an alternative OS, but this limitation is due to the EFI firmware. Yes, PIO increases overhead and forces ATA133...sad but true.

check this thread at Insanely Mac. Lots of great info in there.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=126089&st=40

6. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

Thx CompenionCube for the link. I used Johnsock's patch on my MP to put the 6 SATA drives into AHCI mode and I do enjoy Blu-Ray support in Vista-64 now. The hard drive also runs much faster. I thought someone may have applied the method to the new MBP allready with an NVIDIA AHCI driver. My research so far has not come up with an isolated driver as Intel supplies it. It allways seems to be a package of all the NVIDIA devices which are integrated in that chipset.