Setting Airport Extreme to use 802.11n, not 802.11g/b

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by trickyc, Oct 5, 2011.

1. trickyc macrumors newbie

Is there a way of configuring an Airport Extreme base station to only use 802.11n and not automatically downgrade to 802.11b/g? Or even better to set one of the dual-band networks to use n and the other to use b/g?

I have various WiFi devices at home some of which are compatible with 802.11n and some which are only b/g. It would be great if there was some way of allowing the faster devices to use the n network and the slower ones the b/g network. (Oh and to make things more complex, only 1 of the n devices that I have can use the 5GHz band, all the other n devices use the 2.4GHz band - can the Airport Extreme be set up to have both a b/g network and an n network on 2.4GHz?)

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Here's a rundown of the different modes a current model Airport Extreme base station can run in:
    Airport Modes.jpeg

3. trickyc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply Intell. I don't see those options when I look using AirPort utility, so either I'm using the wrong method to configure my Airport Extreme, or my older hardware version doesn't support it. (It's about 18 months old and has the latest firmware version - 7.5.2)

Cheers again for the help.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 3rd, 4th, and 5th gen all have these modes. On a Mac, press the Option key and click the Radio Mode menu for the complete list.