Setting up a wired Network with AirPort Extreme - AirPort won't connect to internet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tobias237, May 15, 2012.

1. Tobias237 macrumors newbie

Hey everybody,

The situation is the following. My Modem/Router is to far away from my IMac so that it is not able to establish a proper connection. I hoped I could just connect the router and AirPort Extreme with an Ethernet cable and then have the AirPort in the IMac's room bringing the wireless network to the computer.

But somehow the AirPort can't seem to connect to the internet. So the question is, what do I have to do? How do I have to set up the Airport?
    I would have guessed "Extend a wireless network" but that doesn't seem to work. The AirPort won't pick up a either wireless or wired connection and I am not quite sure what else I would set it to.
    If you guys could help me that would be great. Any advice appreciated.

I have managed to set up a wired connection (Router -> cable -> AirPort -> cable -> IMac) both using the AirPort as Router and as Bridge. It seems extremely slow though. Any ideas on that maybe?
    (Btw: It only connects if I set it to static, manually setting up the IP, Router Address and DNS)

IMac 2012, Lion 10.7.3,
    AirPort Extreme 802.11n,
    AirPort Utility 6.0,
    AirPort Firmware 7.6.1

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help and every bit of advice
    Tobias

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Since the Airport will not be routing (just being used as a WAP - wireless access point). You want the Airport in bridge mode. Personally I have a similar setup at home with the wireless on the router turned off altogether.

Things to look out for: ONLY ONE DEVICE (router, airport) should be serving as DHCP server.

B