Setting up & Transferring data on someone elses iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LFSimon, Sep 20, 2012.

1. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

Ordered a new phone for my daughter to replace her old 3GS. She doesn't have a computer that runs iTunes right now and I'm sure she hasn't been backing up her iPhone at all.

Can I put her old phone on my iTunes on my PC and back it up then use the data to restore to her new phone? Will the backup and restore process cause problems considering the iTunes on my PC is set up for my phone and iPad so the music and apps synced to it are not registered to her apple address?

Alternative is to use an old computer I have around here and change the iTunes setting on that to her apple ID and then do the backup and restore on it.

Any other suggestions on the best way to transfer all her info and data, including contacts and past text messages, to her new phone?

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Are both this itunes libraries under the same apple ID? If they are i think you might be able to do this.

3. LFSimon thread starter macrumors regular

LFSimon

No - My daughter has her own apple id on her 3GS that she will be upgrading. The iTunes I use for my phone and iPad on my PC is under my apple ID.

If this is a problem I'll change the iTunes I still have installed on an old slow PC to her Apple ID even if that means deleting it and re-installing (I don't know if I can otherwise change it). Then I'll do the transfer of her phone on the old slow PC, but it will take a lot less time on my computer so I'd rather do that if it won't mess everything up.