Setting up WDS with airport extreme and express on XP (sorry to say)

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
Sorry for mentioning the word Windows but i have to

I run Elgato Eyehome to send wireless video to my mac. i also use airport to send wireless music but to do this i have needed both routers (extreme and express) and set up a WDS

2 of my friends want the same setup, they both have windows XP computers, both already have an apple express router to use itunes wirelessley

my problem is, they now both want wireless video, i assume it will need to be the same as my setup, they will need an extreme router to compliment the extress router as a WDS and i would rather them get a second apple router as there should be no compatiablilty problems with 2 apple routers

How do i setup a WDS with 2 apple routers on windows XP? and is there a video recieving device (such as elgato eyehome) that will run on XP connected by an apple extreme router

Many Thanks for any help in advance

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
For setting up WDS:

Do you have the Airport Admin Utility? On OSX, you just go to the WDS page and click "Enable this basestation for WDS" on all your Expresses using one of them to act as the main basestation and the others as remotes. I'm assuming the utility works the same in Windows.

It's very straight forward on OSX and I think the utility works exactly the same in XP so you should be right. :)

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
mad jew said:
For setting up WDS:

Do you have the Airport Admin Utility? On OSX, you just go to the WDS page and click "Enable this basestation for WDS" on all your Expresses using one of them to act as the main basestation and the others as remotes. I'm assuming the utility works the same in Windows.

It's very straight forward on OSX and I think the utility works exactly the same in XP so you should be right. :)
Its so easy on OSX i am anticipating problems on XP! I was hoping someone could direct me to there i needed to go on XP....guess im on the wrong forum really :)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
marknicholls said:
Its so easy on OSX i am anticipating problems on XP! I was hoping someone could direct me to there i needed to go on XP....guess im on the wrong forum really :)
Mark,

There seems to be some miscommunication here. What the others are trying to tell you is Apple provides a version of the Airport Admin Utility that runs on Windows. Just go to their site and download it.

It works really well - I've used it.

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
Westside guy said:
Mark,

There seems to be some miscommunication here. What the others are trying to tell you is Apple provides a version of the Airport Admin Utility that runs on Windows. Just go to their site and download it.

It works really well - I've used it.
I get that now

Thanks for you help guys - i should have known apple would have made it easy :)