Setup new iMac from Time Capsule, new iMac, and it's not wine and roses...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PinkyMacGodess, Mar 24, 2012.

1. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Did I do something wrong...

I started the new iMac and went through the setup wizard and told it that I wanted to setup from a Time Capsule which took nearly 7 hours, and all the apps are old on the new system. Like no Fusion 4 which I had on the source, it's 3.0.x. No FireFox 11, it's 3.x.

Now I have a licensing issue with Fusion? I am going to wipe Fusion off the original iMac, is that kosher to install on the new one.

Am I going to have to reinstall any other apps in your experience? I was hoping this would be a 'plug and go' restore rather than a 'we got all the data and the really old apps but now you have to find which ones are old. SURPRISE!'

It's not quite what I expected...

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I restored my MacBook from TM and everything was exactly as it was before.

3. PinkyMacGodess, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Podcasts, iTunes U, books, apps... All gone. It's like this system was setup from an old backup that the setup wizard found lying around somewhere...

Good grief... I thought this was supposed to be so damn easy and somewhat secure. Now I got nothing... :(:eek:

Wow! From what I can tell, it 'migrated' the first notebook that I backed up with the time machine. Incredible! All the stuff is over 2 years old.

How can I blow the iMac away and try again to get the good stuff restored... This has been an unexpected walk through history...

4. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

5. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Well, in its other world backup state, I opened up the Tame Capsule and found that there were three machines backed up on it. That was surprising because I can't remember setting any other systems to use that TC. I tried to delete the other two backup images but after waiting for seemingly hours, nothing happened. I tried the 'command-R' trick and it didn't actually 'reload' the machine because the old/bad restore was still there so I tried 'command-R' and used Disk Util to wipe the drive and then installed a new install and then my old iMac popped up as a source in Setup Mangler.

20 hours later(!!!) the system is back up and is much like the old iMac except that the desktop has a lot more stuff on it than before. Apparently this stuff was on the desktop 'at one time' and Setup Mangler just thought that I wanted it all right back up there?

And this Time Capsule/Machine is rapidly losing my vote to stay on the island. It took over 20 hours to do a restore. I'll bet even an old tape drive would/could be faster. But anyway, thanks for looking/listening. This is the first time that I've tried a 'migration' with a TC, and anyone seeking advice should not expect it to be anything close to being 'fast'. Plan on at least a solid day, or more...

Now, does Fusion work... Are my iPhoto and iTunes content still there...

6. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I've used time machine to restore from backup a few times. The latest was on my iMac, everything was where it should be. The only issue I ran into was certain programs needed to be reinstalled.

Another option depending on how big your drive is is to make an image of the current machine using disk utility and then restore that image onto the new machine. I used to do this when setting up iBooks for the public school system.

7. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Crap. All my stuff seems to be there but it seems to be a mix of the old stuff from the earlier restore, and the stuff from this later restore.

I need to thoroughly wipe the drive and have the Time Capsule/Time Machine do a migration of the right backup image to the drive. This is getting ridiculous, not to mention taking a VERY LONG TIME to resolve...

Is there a way to hook my old iMac to this one and get it to migrate the drive that way? I thought that it would be easier than this. Oh, and if I can really wipe the drive clean, how do I get Lion back on? Will the 'command-R' still work to get me Lion or do I need to get the USB stick of Lion? I have one, can that blow away this blown restore. I mean, none of the updates from Software Update are there, Fusion is still 3.1.2. iTunes (10.5.1) won't run because my library is newer than the version here. Everything was updated and backed up before I started this exercise in wasting my time... I don't want to setup the Time Machine software yet because I may need the backup image on it still...

And Ford forgive that you enter your iCloud/Me account when it asks for your 'AppleID'. YIKES! Then you have to come up with a different email address for your AppleID...

----------

It's about 460G which might be too big to deal with unless Disk Util could do the image on an external drive.

8. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

It can but would take awhile. If you have enough space on an external drive hook it up to the old machine and create a new time machine backup. Which yes will take awhile but will backup everything current. Then you could boot into the recovery partition on the new machine and reinstall lion and restore from that time machine backup you just made

9. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I'm bummed... My iMac died, and I got a replacement and damned if the same ting happened again! I did the restore from Time Capsule and all my apps are there, but no iTunes, documents, nothing.

It seemed like I somehow blew everything away and restarted the whole install again the last time, but can't remember what the heck I did. Maybe it was to use the migration wizard instead of the setup wizard...

I need to get this system up soon, dang it! It would seem that it should be simpler, especially if this keeps happening... :( Still, I got a replacement so it's not that bad...