Seven earth-sized planets discovered around nearby star

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Feb 22, 2017.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

This is pretty darn exciting. We should revive the alien thread and maybe with more respect this time lol

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/science/trappist-1-exoplanets-nasa.html

Not just one, but seven Earth-size planets that could potentially harbor life have been identified orbiting a tiny star not too far away, offering the first realistic opportunity to search for signs of alien life outside the solar system.

The planets orbit a dwarf star named Trappist-1, about 40 light-years, or 235 trillion miles, from Earth. That is quite close in cosmic terms, and by happy accident, the orientation of the orbits of the seven planets allows them to be studied in great detail.

2. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Woah! We're making amazing progress. Yeah, that alien thread might have just become more relevant! Who knows!

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Cool, even if there is life on them I doubt we would ever be able to contact it.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

5. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

6. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Anything even semi-scientific belongs in PRSI, don't you speak Republican yet? The "S" in PRSI used to stand for "Social" but that era is clearly over and we are now incontrovertibly in the era of Science as political, and religious, therefore highly controversial.

fyi midget, dwarf... not the same thing, even in Republicanese...

I can hardly wait to see if the aliens are annoyed that their habitat has been surveilled by us.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2017 ---
    And as for you, keep pressing your luck (is that what that is?) :cool:

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm thinking the OP thought that some people might feel that the possibility of life outside of earth would be against their religion. I'm not sure what religion that would be, but that's probably the reason for the choice. Personally I think current events would have been better.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Trump promised to find these planets and pollute the **** out of them.

9. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

There has to be intelligent life out there, Thor knows there is very little here in Murika :p

10. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yes, I actually was going to put it into Current Events, but then figured someone would say something about NASA and then budgets, and then... and then...

Space travel is probably political when some people believe the earth is 6k years old and some others think it was a hoax that we ever set foot on Earth's moon.

Maybe we could cancel Trump's requirement to be in the White House, just leave him in Florida all the time, save the commute money for NASA budgets. I mean 40 light years, 235 trilliion miles, that's not that far away if we can just put something a little more serious into those booster rockets...

Actually when I think about what a light year is... 40 of them are a pretty daunting trip at least for the kind of craft we put up for unmanned explorers now. Still it would be so exciting to send something out closer than a telescope can take us for a better look, if we can figure out how to traverse more space in less time.

The most distant space probe, Voyager 1, was about 18 light-hours away from the Earth as of October 2014.[23] It will take about 17500 years to reach one light-year (1.0×100 ly) at its current speed of about 17 km/s (38000 mph) relative to the Sun. On September 12, 2013, NASA scientists announced that Voyager 1 had entered the interstellar medium of space on August 25, 2012, becoming the first manmade object to leave the Solar System.[24]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-year

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

This is really great news. If we ever get speed of light travel, this solar system will be totally viable for a visit. Much closer than some of the other planets that have been discovered.
    No no bomb the **** out of them. You know, don't want any aliens here. We must build an intergalactic wall.

12. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Where are those little worm holes and trap doors in space-time when we need them? Would be so cool if we could just summon up a different form of mathematics and convert the world around us to something differently navigable. LIke when you click on a calculator app to convert it from basic to scientific, only magnificently more extrapolated, beyond our current comprehension.

I always think about that stuff for some reason when someone makes a Moebius strip out of a length of paper and a piece of tape or a couple staples. You start out on a journey and just drive along but you end up on the other side of your world when you get back to square one...

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

We would need faster than light travel for it to be viable. At light speed it would take 40 years to get there, but we would also be stuck with light speed at the best for sending information back. So it would be 40 years for an unmanned probe to get there and another 40 years to get the information back, so it would be 80 years from launch until the first information made it back. That is also ignoring the fact that you will need some time for both acceleration and slowing down when you get there, otherwise you'll go shooting past the planet at light speed and get nothing.

14. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Or we could be cryogenically frozen and transported maybe? Like a time capsule?

Yeah, that technology is a long way off too though isn't it? Bah.

15. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

We need the "new new math". Something that collapses space without crushing us, so we can go places more quickly. Maybe beings in other planetary systems will figure it out first. Then I guess our main job is to try to point out from afar somehow that we're potentially friendly?

16. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Ah! Like teleportation or time travel right? I do wonder if we did get all that figured out, how do we diplomatically present ourselves? I guess take the Star Trek approach? Do not engage with locals unless they've indicated they want contact and do not interfere with their daily lives to alter their course?

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That's a single lifetime. That's nothing in the cosmic scale of things and may be the best we can do for a long long time though, if it can even be improved upon at all. Got to start somewhere. It took ages to get a message back by foot, horse or stagecoach too, that didn't stop people from the east making their way west. It's a starting point.

18. Jnesbitt82, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017

Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

Here's some fun reading. Btw, I'm a republican but I didn't vote for Trump and I love science. :)
    http://www.hawking.org.uk/space-and-time-warps.html
    Don't forget that everything that we can observe right now is actually a ghost image that is 40 years old due to the speed limit of light. Although, some physicist have theorized that the speed of light is not a constant in certain parts of the galaxy. This theory helped to explain how the galaxy appears to be speeding up in expansion instead of slowing down. Fun stuff!

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Even the first circumnavigation of the world was only 4 years.

20. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

If life does exist outside of our planet, I really hope we get to it before it gets to us. One constant in our history is that when an advanced civilization encounters one that is less advanced, they either become free labor or pests to be removed/exterminated.

And since we'd be talking about non-humans, we can probably add "food" to the list of possible outcomes for the human race if ETs manage to show up here from several light years away.

21. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Really there's no way of knowing, right? We're sort of tunnel-visioned by so far being the only "advanced" life form there is. I mean it's possible, as someone pointed out in the aliens thread the other day, that just the encounter between us and any "alien" life form would be fatal to one or both parties because of differerent life sysems' expectations and requirements. If they came in their space suits that might protect them and/or us at least briefly. But we don't know that either.

Bottom line we're all (and any "they" "out there" as well) sort of living in a brave new world from moment to moment, no? We could be sharing our solar system or living room with aliens righ now, in theory. If so then clearly they are invisible to us currently, so we just get up in the morning and notice the sun's up as usual and we're almost out of time to make breakfast. But we might not be so invisible to them. In that case one could say they're more advanced than we are even if they are more like microbes than humanoids.

Sometimes I even kind of like the idea that we might just be somebody's simulation... it's comforting to think the stupid things humans have done to each other over the centuries are not "really" how advanced civilizations would naturally deploy their higher capabilities.

In my possibly saner moments I just figure "aliens" from other planets are not likely to have evolved as we have done, and that there's not really a good way to guesstimate what they are or would be like. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't follow very closely the field of predicting how life in other organically inclined solar systems could or would develop, even as exciting as I think it is. I have never thought there's some predestined chance that other evolutions would even vaguely parallel those on Earth. So many chances for random mutuations and forks in the road, I guess.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's all relative. Being that space is space, the distances and times are going to be multiplied no matter the mode of travel.
    That brings up a good point....do people here think that we would slaughter an alien race and take their planet?

23. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

24. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

post of the day sir. your medal is on the next packet ship along with the smallpox, mice,,,, :D

25. chown33 macrumors 604