Seven Things Needed to Get Rid of Trump.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

An interesting article labeled "The Idiot's Guide to Getting Rid of Donald Trump".

I generally agree with the list but do you agree or disagree ?

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Give up demonstrations? No way.

As one of the of the millions who turned out for the Women's March, it was an incredibly stirring experience. And it sent a message to those in power that was unprecedented and unmistakable: that people were engaged and ready to hold the government accountable. That kind of grassroots engagement is still reverberating through legislatures and town halls today.

Why on earth should we give that up?

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

His list isn't really about getting rid of Donald Trump at all. It's a gloat from the right, and a patronizing instruction to lefties to go soak their heads.

He has some valid points but nothing new I'd say. The right doesn't like it when the left protests anything. And his points about violence and use of old or incorrect "evidence" are tired and anecdotal as well. Boooooohhhhhhrrrrrriiiing. No we will not go back home and sit around for four years while Donald Trump and his bizarre friends rip up the Constitution.

I know what I have to do to help avoid electing another Donald Trump. Work with progressives at local levels, keep pressure on my Republican Congressman to justify the insane agenda the GOP is now pushing through Congress. Turn up to vote at everything where the USA offers me an opportunity from town council to president.

The author of the list is correct about ill effect of not voting, though. Vote. It matters.

5. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

When the need arises, we will.

Your blessing is appreciated, but not necessary.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm curious whether this guy can see the irony in his own words.

This is clearly not his strong point, assuming he didn't type this garbage out in a 2 am caffeine frenzy.

8. PhiLLoW macrumors 6502

FFS ....I was so close to survive ONE day without any political ********. no place is safe anymore.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yep that is probably the biggest one that is actually true on this list. I think what the right is failing to get is that the polls were not wrong about the level of support for each candidate, they were wrong about who would turn out. Republican's despised Clinton so when polls were showing her winning they had a motivation to hold their nose and vote for Trump. Democrats on the other hand hated Trump, but he hasn't been on the political scene long enough for those feelings to be as deeply held as the hatred for Clinton. In addition the Democrats didn't care too much for Clinton either so when the polls showed Clinton winning many of them decided to stay home or vote third party since they thought Clinton would win no matter what. Enough people stayed home in key states that Clinton lost the electoral vote despite a relatively large margin in the popular vote.

In 4 years though unless the democrats majorly screw up with their nomination those voters will show up again and Trump will be a one term president. I think the best case scenario for the Republican's in 2020 is for Trump to do so bad that he falls to a primary challenger and the Republican's get a good candidate next time instead of relying on Democrats staying home again.

10. Zenithal Suspended

You have too much faith in them not screwing it up. Again.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Unless they are dumb enough to nominate a Clinton again (either Hillary or Chelsea) I have a hard time seeing who they could put up the would lose to Trump, especially seeing how bad the first two weeks have been going, unless they manage to find a Trump like actor from the left.

12. Zenithal Suspended

Does Chelsea even want to run? Hillary will be too old by then. They were all too old. They need fresh, young blood to survive. As does the GOP. Youth is the future. Let's treat it like that.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Aiii,,, don't even paint that devil on the wall.

14. Zenithal Suspended

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Their biggest mistake was getting all the female senators to sign a letter urging Hillary to run. I'd like to crown whoever initiated that with a two by four. I better never find out who it was.

Anyway imagine one of them running against Trump last year.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2017 ---
    why not gillibrand...

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thank Thor some wanted to be the change they believed in.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I imagine it would resemble an episode of Absolutely Fabulous.

18. Zenithal Suspended

Just read her bio. Not bad, but I have a feeling the Philip Morris as a client will come back to haunt her in debates.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah.. but where is the groan button?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2017 ---
    I still would have liked to see her take on Trump last fall with his history of being a guy with an inclination to grope women. She's spent time in the Senate working on getting the miltary to change how it processes rape charges.

Of course we wouldn't have seen that interesting meltdown over Alicia Machado...

Maybe you're right on the tobacco, I hope it won't be a big deal. It would have hurt Gillibrand more ten fifteen years ago, I'd think. It's almost like we're in a post-tobacco world now. We were all idiots, and now we're chastened... spoken from my own POV with a long habit of smoking but now 17 years of having left it behind (after a lot of false starts at stopping).

We're not really out of the woods on tobacco, of course, but so many people don't smoke now and youngsters don't take it up as they once did. in fact some of them are finally why their parents quit smoking. To get peace in the house. I think Gillibrand can be straightforward about her previous work in Wall Street and just move on. If Trump fans aren't crazed by a GS guy in Treasury... what's the big deal with Gillibrand having worked for a law firm in the street. Surely there's some Trump fans amongst the old guys still cranky about no smoking laws. She was on their side! Of course that was then...

On guns: She managed to navigate from NY's 19th CD as a blue dog in a red district, to a somewhat more moderated stance as a US Senator from NY, so imo that move is already behind her. She has some street cred with upstaters for having kept weapons in her home. Plus she's been upfront on early mistakes like having been a bit of a chatterbox. I don't know how her work trying to get the military to change how it deals with rape charges will go over with male voters, or military voters and their partners. Unless that proves to be a major obstacle, I think she'll run in 2020.

20. Zenithal Suspended

Actually, I say that but I forgot Mike Pence once said and never rebutted his belief that smoking doesn't kill.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think that would end up being a big deal, our VP claimed that smoking doesn't kill when running for congress and neither side made a big deal of it during the election.

Id rather see Tammy Duckworth run though. I think given Trump's record on women as well as his record of attacking military veterans while avoiding service in Vietnam himself would make the debates very interesting. I would expect him to make some sort of comment about her getting shot down during one of the debates (similar to the one he made about McCain) and as long as she handles it professionally it would sink Trump if he hadn't already done it himself with 4 years of his administration.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Duckworth v Trump would be amazing.

But, women's rights are being repealed... have you not read that EO yet? ;)

23. Zenithal Suspended

Trump feels insecure around powerful women. Didn't you know that, Liz?

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm sure some places are safe. A political forum, of course, is not.

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeh he got off the train at the wrong stop. Cheese thread a better bet.