Severe banding with Dell U2410 monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by olliemycat, Nov 20, 2009.

1. olliemycat macrumors newbie

The problem is most severe with dark grays, browns, greens, etc. My Mac Mini (Core2 Duo, 2 ghz) is capable of driving the monitor's 1920 x 1200 pix. Dell tech supt. informs me that it may be a driver issue but they have not been more explicit that that. I didn't see any downloadable drivers on their site. We've been going back and forth for a couple of weeks and every time, a new techie "signs" the post.

Question: are there downloadable drivers for monitors and is Dell generally reliable in supporting Macs?

I may have to return the unit if something concrete doesn't materialize fairly soon as my 90-day warranty period will pass.

Thanks in advance.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

To my understanding you have graphic card/chip drivers not display drivers. On a Mac the graphic card/chip drivers are a part of the OS, you don't download them separately like on a PC. From what I've read and heard I don't think Dell is particularly reliable at supporting PC users, I wouldn't count on them at all for supporting Macs. Do you have your display preferences set to millions of colors? Have you tried calibrating the display?

3. olliemycat thread starter macrumors newbie

Banding on Dell U2410 monitor

DG -

Yes, my display is set to millions and I have calibrated the display.

Thanks.

4. panzaman macrumors member

I have already gone trough several of these monitors, got few replacement, still lots of issues, the banding is one of them:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19301644.aspx

lots of people also complaining about the green/pink monitor issue, which I also have on mine that I am going to send back today, and also on heavy dithering issues when using sRGB and AdobeRGB presets.

HardOcp forum has a thread of around 60 pages about the issues, the DELL forum has several topics about this monitor issues. I am gonna talk to the retailer this morning and see if I can get a full refund, this monitor is flawed.

5. n0d3 macrumors regular

It's a nice monitor on paper yes but unfortunately Dell messed it up.

They admitted to the tint problem and there's nothing that they are gonna do about it. Just return it and get a refund.

6. panzaman macrumors member

quick update, 4th replacement DELL sent me, it arrived yesterday, has a dead pixel on it in the middle of the screen.

Fed up right now, just been on the phone with them, I accepted the refund they offered.

Now problem is: what 24" to buy other than the U2410?

7. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Dell U2410

I have no problems with my Dell U2410.

What Mac OS X version are you using?

Which Mac mini? 2009 or previous?

What Gamma, 1.8 or 2.2, or something in between?

What connection are you using? DVI or Display Port?

I read that there is no banding on the VGA port but that defeats the purpose of having digital connections.