Severe Problem on MACBOOKPRO 13 2016

IlLupo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2020
A few days ago trying to boot my MACBOOKPRO 2016 the window at the bottom appears and the computer hangs.

I've never seen this window before: what software update it requires I don't understand.

Looking for updates available on the AppStore I find only upgrading to Catalina which I do not want.

With the touch bar, and without a separate power button, I seem unable to fix the prams, and the only way the PowerBook works is booting in safe mode or pressing cmd+V.

Selecting the WIFI and inserting the pass changes the window and the the machine enters an endless loop: after approx 35 minutes a new window appears telling me:

A CRITICAL SOFTWARE UPDATE IS REQUIRED FOR YOUR MAC, BUT AN ERROR WAS ENCOUNTERED WHILE INSTALLING THIS UPDATE.

YOUR MAC CAN'T BE USED UNTIL THIS UPDATE IS INSTALLED.

Then two buttons: Shut Down (not default selected) and TRY AGAIN (selected).

All other options simply give a window with an endless rotating symbol.

No errors number not specification of the requested update.

Rebooting with CMD R, then Fully ERASING THE DISK, using the various terminal tools then reinstalling the System did nothing.

Besides the regular Apple software Bbedit and VLC I have nothing else. What it is?

Any help please ...
Error.gif

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
A few days ago trying to boot my MACBOOKPRO 2016 the window at the bottom appears and the computer hangs.

I've never seen this window before: what software update it requires I don't understand.

Looking for updates available on the AppStore I find only upgrading to Catalina which I do not want.

With the touch bar, and without a separate power button, I seem unable to fix the prams, and the only way the PowerBook works is booting in safe mode or pressing cmd+V.

Selecting the WIFI and inserting the pass changes the window and the the machine enters an endless loop: after approx 35 minutes a new window appears telling me:

A CRITICAL SOFTWARE UPDATE IS REQUIRED FOR YOUR MAC, BUT AN ERROR WAS ENCOUNTERED WHILE INSTALLING THIS UPDATE.

YOUR MAC CAN'T BE USED UNTIL THIS UPDATE IS INSTALLED.

Then two buttons: Shut Down (not default selected) and TRY AGAIN (selected).

All other options simply give a window with an endless rotating symbol.

No errors number not specification of the requested update.

Rebooting with CMD R, then Fully ERASING THE DISK, using the various terminal tools then reinstalling the System did nothing.

Besides the regular Apple software Bbedit and VLC I have nothing else. What it is?

Any help please ... View attachment 889696
This is trying to update firmware for parts of the computer. If you have access to ethernet try that, or try a different wifi network. Failing that, an Apple Store should be able to help you.

konqerror

macrumors 68000
Dec 31, 2013
Again it isn't malware. The T1 firmware needs an update or is corrupted. If it doesn't complete, you likely need to take it in for service.

See this thread

Reactions: Honza1 and smirking