Sex: Marriage or not

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by The Californian, May 20, 2009.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Daily people choose to have sex both within the institution of marriage and outside of it. The reasons to, or not to have sex outside of marriage vary from person to person, some have strong, rooted, spiritual and religious convictions while others choose not to for reasons completely apart from any religious or spiritual factors.

Do you believe that you should or should not save sex for marriage and why?

Thank you. - Eric

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

No way. I like to take a little test ride before investing in the, uh, car.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Same as my advice for voting: Early, and often ;-D

Sex isn't some mystical ceremony bathed in centuries of tradition, as long as you're ready for the physical and mental consequences of a physical relationship whether or not you've signed a contract with the State should have no bearing.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Marriage sucks - sex doesn't so generally speaking if I want sex I best table whatever morals I have and get to it.
    Me in a nutshell ... now in Web 2.0. :D

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Only during engagement and marriage for me, and I'm an agnostic so religion didn't have any influence on my decision. Anything else goes though, just not "last base" or whatever Disney Channel calls it now.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im only a younging (19) so what would i know?? but for my culture/social group its whenever you want - so thats what i go for :)

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I personally don't see the reason for saving it for marriage.

What is the difference because it is not that uncommon to have sex without penetration.

Also what is the difference between being engaged and a long term relationship, why does a ring make any difference in this regard. I have been with my girlfriend for 7 years come Septemeber. The only difference between our relationship and engagement/marriage is that we have not spent money on a ring of metal or a fancy party.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Because it's something to wait for.
    What new, exciting thing could we do on our wedding night? A sex swing? Because I'm terrible at construction.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

talking like that will make any nerd want you right here and now :p

10. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I think its a big part of being Married. If you get married and find out your partner isn't all that wonderful, it's kind of too late...

11. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Same age same basic idea but I did the fool around with anyone/whenever thing for a year or so and I never really felt happy about it. I always felt like someone ended up getting hurt by the whole situation.

Now I've come to think that sex is a little more serious I'm not saying dont do it before marriage or anything. I would just argue against the casual sexuality that has become a big part of youth culuture

12. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I personally believe as long as you are commited and love the person you are with it is ok to have sex before marriage. My girlfriend and I try to have sex at least once a week. We dont get to see eachother during the week because of school and work, but on weekends its a really good way to bond again. Its really great for our relationship. However, if we miss a weekend, its not the end of the world. But its great to know that there is one person in this world that I do that particular thing with. We feel so very close to eachother afterward. I think its something youre missing out on if you wait until marriage. So many silly arguements can be solved by having sex. Most of the time you'll forget about what the silly thing was in the first place.

If you can wait until marriage, my hat is tilted in your favor, but its not for me.

13. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Wow, I be in the minority so far! :p

Should have a poll added to the top.

14. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

What is your stance? I can assume its wait until marriage, but why? Just wondering.

15. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Marriage...for religious reasons. And it is something that I want to share with the one person that I have committed to for the rest of my life. As has been stated in a post above it is a very bonding "activity". Why would I want to bond with anyone other than the one that I have chosen to be with forever. Works for me...

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

my actions are by no means represented by my words (only had one sexual partner - my current girl friend of 2+ years), but i find a LOT of people my age are very active sexually, however there are also many of them who arent.. it just depends where you grow up and who with..

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Since I'm gay and live in state where I cannot be married at this time (we're working on it), the answer is no f***ing way! I'm not waiting for the law to change.

18. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

My girlfriend is the person I want to spend forever with. I knew that 10 months ago when we first started dating and I know it now, from the bottom of my heart. But marriage is financialy not a smart move and we want to wait to get married once all of our affairs are in order.

19. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Religious view, but I also agree with JCastro.

20. djellison macrumors 68020

Whilst our stances are exactly opposite to one another, this quote is exactly the same for me. We've been together >9 years. But we're in no hurry to get married...it's just a scrap of paper that changes some tax codes as far as we're concerned.

Sex before marriage - hell yes.

21. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

You read his post wrong. He wants to wait til marriage. Your stance and mine are the same. Minus the blatant "hell yes."

You seem a tad too gun-ho about it.

22. djellison macrumors 68020

I know he does. And I don't (indeed, for 9 years, I haven't been) So our stances are opposite.

However - his sentiments regarding a partner for life are exactly the same for me as for him.

So, our stance on the OP's question are opposite to one another. However, the morals of a life long relationship are the same.

As for gun-ho, believe me, I may have been slightly 'casual' with the lexicon, if that gave the wrong impression, I'm sorry - but in terms of relationships and sex...I'm the opposite.

23. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I see. Ok. Good point. Haha. I like your editing by the way. :)

24. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I am Christian, therefore, I believe that it's wrong to have sex before marriage. But it's not up to me to make that choice for anyone else, and I didn't adhere to it either.:eek:

You just have to keep in mind that sex does tend to cause feelings of closeness and perpetuates love, if you want it to, and sometimes if you don't. It can cause feelings that would not have occurred otherwise, and that may go away later.

Women and men are very different in this aspect, and unfortunately, a lot of men don't tend to consider the emotional well-being of their partner(s).

25. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If I had it do again, I would have waited until I was married.

But then, I only know that because of my life experiences.

Chicken and egg discussion ensues ...