Sex-trade-free Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by redAPPLE, Feb 9, 2008.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

Turn Out The Red Light?

i guess it doesn't bother me that much, but it is just quite interesting to think about it.

i guess the city will survive, but this image i have of amsterdam would not seem right, without it somehow.

2. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

While I hope I am never in the position where I have to pay for sex, I support prostitution and believe it should be legal. Honestly though I can imagine there are tons of girls being traded and I certainly think that no one under 18 should work as a hooker; however, just because this stuff goes on is no reason to pull the plug on brothels.

3. Queso macrumors G4

Excellent. More space for hash cafés, gay bars and sex shops :D

4. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

What a sad day! The red light district is one of Amsterdam's biggest tourist attractions. The first time I went to Amsterdam, I stayed in a B&B owned by a local Dutch woman. She recommended that my wife and I visit the red light district at night. When my wife objected, she insisted that it was worth our while. She said that she gave the same advice to everyone and convinced nuns and priests who had stayed with her in the past to go on this pilgrimage. We did go and had an enjoyable visit. I'm sad to hear that future tourists will be deprived of this quintessentially Dutch landmark.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Holland had at one time the best policy on these kinds of social issues. They realised that advantage of legalisation was that the government was able to offer some form of protection to those that were involved in it, knowing that it would continue whether it was legal or not.

Shame that they have decided to follow the reactionary climate of the times.